Man United Supporters Thread (Part 47)

Comments

• batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The race for the final two CL places is going to be a real scrap until the death. There's not all that much between any of the five sides in the mix at this point.

One big team is going to miss out, as three into two will not go!

Or perhaps two might miss out, and Southampton qualify, still a long way to go, it would be good if we could finish third (second is fading away from us the closer we get to the end of the season), then seeing the Saints get in ahead of Arsenal and Spurs would be good for the league, although it would be bad for our perceived chase of Clyne.
  • satellitesatellite Posts: 8,181
    Forum Member
    then seeing the Saints get in ahead of Arsenal and Spurs would be good for the league.

If Southampton finished above you, would that be "good for the league" too?
  • TheMunchTheMunch Posts: 9,024
    Forum Member
    satellite wrote: »

I'd certainly say so, yes.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And currently we are back down in fourth, as Southampton are beating Newcastle, they really could do it couldn't they?!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    satellite wrote: »

It would yes, not good for us though.
  • satellitesatellite Posts: 8,181
    Forum Member
    It would yes, not good for us though.

Ok fair enough.

Why would it be good for the league though?
  • Fergie86Fergie86 Posts: 7,929
    Forum Member
    Here is a stat for you, De Gea is already 8th in our all time list for Clean sheets, with 55 in 156 games!

Let's hope he rises up further in that table!

That is some stat, shows how far he has come on, brilliant goalkeeper, i assume Peter Schmeichel is top, wasn't one of his nicknames "Mr. Cleansheet"
  • Bingo_Bingo_ Posts: 1,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't buy into this Southampton thing. Difficult to fault their season so far but it's January. They won't be there in May. I just don't see it at all
  • Joey BoswellJoey Boswell Posts: 25,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just back from the match, my first of the season. :)

It wasnt the greatest performance, but its a win which we needed after last week.

The 3-5-2 setup does not work, and a lot of the fans around me today were complaining about it.

Van Gaal needs to stop using it.

Pleased with Fellaini this season, he looks a lot better then what he did under Moyes last season.

Wilson's goal for the second, I was pleased for him.

Di Maria was poor today and Rooney had a bad game, De Gea was great as usual, I would have him as our player of the year.

Tis very tight in the battle for the top four.
  • kingjeremykingjeremy Posts: 9,077
    Forum Member
    Been really impressed with Southampton, they had a bit of a horror showing for a few games and I thought that would be their slide begun but they have turned it around and picked up a bunch of great results since against good teams.

Still see their small squad catching up with them eventually though.
  • Grim FandangoGrim Fandango Posts: 4,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bingo_ wrote: »
    I don't buy into this Southampton thing. Difficult to fault their season so far but it's January. They won't be there in May. I just don't see it at all

I've been saying most of the season that they're this year's overachievers and eventually they'll drift away. At Xmas that seemed to be happening, but their response has been to get stronger.

If I was putting money on it, and due to a little bias, I'd still rank the teams in order of likelihood to achieve a CL place as: 1. United. 2. Arsenal 3. Liverpool 4. Spurs 5 Soton. But, I think they're genuine contenders nonetheless.
    Forum Member
    We should definitely be looking at Clyne if we want a RB.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bingo_ wrote: »

Why will they not be there or there abouts in May? They have had a bad patch like most teams below the top two, so fully deserve to be where they are, and deserve to be spoken of in the Champions League possible places.

They have got the same chance as ourselves, Arsenal or Spurs, with a far better chance than Liverpool to do so, I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been saying most of the season that they're this year's overachievers and eventually they'll drift away. At Xmas that seemed to be happening, but their response has been to get stronger.

If I was putting money on it, and due to a little bias, I'd still rank the teams in order of likelihood to achieve a CL place as: 1. United. 2. Arsenal 3. Liverpool 4. Spurs 5 Soton. But, I think they're genuine contenders nonetheless.

Just out of interest, why do you think it is more likely that Liverpool will finish in the Champions League places than Southampton?
    Forum Member
    Do you just invent things people have said.

Nobody said they didn't deserve to be where they are. It's not such an outlandish thought to think they might drop off the pace between now and the end of the season.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just back from the match, my first of the season. :)

It wasnt the greatest performance, but its a win which we needed after last week.

The 3-5-2 setup does not work, and a lot of the fans around me today were complaining about it.

Van Gaal needs to stop using it.

Pleased with Fellaini this season, he looks a lot better then what he did under Moyes last season.

Wilson's goal for the second, I was pleased for him.

Di Maria was poor today and Rooney had a bad game, De Gea was great as usual, I would have him as our player of the year.

Tis very tight in the battle for the top four.

Glad you got to see us win (eventually)!

I think it goes without saying that De Gea has got the Player of the Year trophy wrapped, the clubs version and the overall one, only really Cesc or Sanchez comes close, but neither have had as good a season as De Gea has had so far, he has been immense.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kingjeremy wrote: »
    Do you just invent things people have said.

Nobody said they didn't deserve to be where they are. It's not such an outlandish thought to think they might drop off the pace between now and the end of the season.

No, I don't invent anything, and if you think like that, that is fine, it is not outlandish at all, I don't believe I said anything like that. :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just out of interest, why do you think it is more likely that Liverpool will finish in the Champions League places than Southampton?

Simple stuff, really. They have a stronger squad, they have the experience of doing it last year (and almost winning the title in the process), they've been without their best attacking player all season who is now coming back to fitness, their form since xmas has been excellent (granted so has Soton's)
  • ags_ruleags_rule Posts: 19,390
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Simple stuff, really. They have a stronger squad, they have the experience of doing it last year (and almost winning the title in the process), they've been without their best attacking player all season who is now coming back to fitness, their form since xmas has been excellent (granted so has Soton's)

I'll give you points 2-4, but point 1 is HIGHLY debatable. Liverpool's squad looks threadbare.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ags_rule wrote: »
    I'll give you points 2-4, but point 1 is HIGHLY debatable. Liverpool's squad looks threadbare.

I think they've got a range of options in most positions. Their main issue in the first half of the season is they've failed to get the best out of their players, although they seem to have turned a corner over the past month. The likes of Markovic, Balotelli, Lallana for example are clearly talented players who have struggled for form and fitness.

I do think they're struggling a bit for decent options at the back and obviously could do with a goalkeeper. Going forward, Sturridge, Origi, added to the likes of Sterling, Coutinho and Balotelli is a very good selection of attackers. Henderson, Lallana, Gerrard, Markovic, Lucas, Can, Allen, Ibe across the middle, not too bad. They're not watertight, but I think they have a bit more strength in depth than Soton.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Fair enough, although I think that Southampton have a better squad, and this has been borne out so far by how each have done, however you are free to think otherwise.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think they've got a range of options in most positions. Their main issue in the first half of the season is they've failed to get the best out of their players, although they seem to have turned a corner over the past month. The likes of Markovic, Balotelli, Lallana for example are clearly talented players who have struggled for form and fitness.

I do think they're struggling a bit for decent options at the back and obviously could do with a goalkeeper. Going forward, Sturridge, Origi, added to the likes of Sterling, Coutinho and Balotelli is a very good selection of attackers. Henderson, Lallana, Gerrard, Markovic, Lucas, Can, Allen, Ibe across the middle, not too bad. They're not watertight, but I think they have a bit more strength in depth than Soton.

Have I missed something, I thought that Origi was still in France, plus he still has to prove himself in this country, so I wouldn't be including him in that list of options just yet.

You could equally do a list for Southampton's players, and they have better options than Liverpool at the back and up front I would say.
    Forum Member
    Fair enough, although I think that Southampton have a better squad, and this has been borne out so far by how each have done, however you are free to think otherwise.

So you think Southampton have a better squad than us?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Haha. There'll be some special exemption from the rule for us, I bet.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Southampton have put together a very talented squad, a better one than last seasons one, and at the moment, they are where they are on merit, and their squad is proving to be just as good as ours, and the two point gap is showing that.
    Haha. There'll be some special exemption from the rule for us, I bet.

No, why would there be a "special exemption" for us? :confused:
This discussion has been closed.