DC's New 52 - Buy, Try or Fry?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,428
    Forum Member
    Thanks for your help Funkmaster but I just placed an order with Forbidden Planet for the following as it was easier to fnd what I was looking for with them:

Superman #1
    Superman #2
    Superman #3
    Action Comics #1
    Action Comics #2
    Action Comics #3
    Batman #1
    Batman #2
    Batman #3
    Detective Comics #1
    Detective Comics #2
    Detective Comics #3
    The Dark Knight #1
    The Dark Knight #2
    The Dark Knight #3

Just got to sit back and wait for the release dates and the Postman.
  • zwixxxzwixxx Posts: 10,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You might like to check out http://www.disposableheroes.co.uk/ to see if they offer a better price. I've been buying from them for a couple of months and they send the comics out in an A4 cardboard backed envelope with free p+p. Look for the pre-order option on the front page. Before #1day I placed an order for ~13 #1s and each week during this month I'll get those weeks comics (some stores send things out 1/month). If you do go by them it would be useful to ensure your letterbox can handle A4 sized envelopes - my towerblock flats ALL had those squidgy thing ones so I had to do some man work to widen things - saved many a trip to the post-office delivery office :D
  • SXTonySXTony Posts: 2,925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow, DC's comic book app was apparently downloaded less than Marvel's the week of the DCnU launch.

Bear in mind that DC "day & date" releases are cover price but after 4 weeks the prices of all will drop by $1, so people may be holding off for that. I know a guy at work doing just that (I'll be sticking with paper copies, myself).
    Forum Member
    I also find most people still prefer to use the main Comixology App rather then the DC one. I have both and notice the main Comixology seems to update earlier and quicker then the DC one and I also notice the DC one still tends to crash more.
  • not_the_doctornot_the_doctor Posts: 1,835
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So, one of my friends, who like myself was a life-long DC reader, but thought he'd at least give the reboot a chance, dumped a bunch of New 52 comics on my table with the words "do you want this sh*t?". I didn't, but I thought I'd at least have a quick look through a few of them, and so far it feels like early 90s Image Comics, complete with eye-scarring Rob Liefeld "art", apparently.

Overall, it's mostly just embarrassingly tacky T&A and completely unsympathetic characters. The women are all sluts, and all seem to have had at least a couple of panels worth of pointless nudity already, and the men are just complete douchebags. Oh, and Amanda Waller is now a super-model, I'm told.

Basically, most of these titles read like the comic book equivalent of Jersey Shore. It also seems like there are fewer pages than usual, but I didn't actually bother counting.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ..The women are all sluts, and all seem to have had at least a couple of panels worth of pointless nudity already.

I must be reading the wrong titles cos my Batman centric ones have had none of that :( ...... so far (have yet to read Catwoman #1.
  • MandarkMandark Posts: 47,940
    Forum Member
    I also find most people still prefer to use the main Comixology App rather then the DC one. I have both and notice the main Comixology seems to update earlier and quicker then the DC one and I also notice the DC one still tends to crash more.
    Yeah, Justice League was out on Comixology before the DC app. I use both to sperate my DC stuff from the rest but may be one app would be better.

Just read Mr Terrific. Interesting but not fab. Still got about 10 first issues to get through. From those I've read I can imagine a lot of people saying "I paid two quid for that?!"
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 446
    Forum Member
    zwixxx wrote: »
    I must be reading the wrong titles cos my Batman centric ones have had none of that :( ...... so far (have yet to read Catwoman #1.

Oh boy are you in for a shock ::o

Prepare for an artist with an arse and breast fetish - its page after page of that without actually showing her face and as for the ending - well what a pile of wank.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 98
    Forum Member
    Mock me for a DC fanboy if you like but I've enjoyed nearly all of these so far and I've been reading comics, of and on, for 46 years.

I won't be buying any more Mr Terrific or Static Shock but up to now I will at least try the second issue of all the others.

Resurrection Man, Swamp Thing and Animal Man were really strong and Grifter was an unexpected pleasure.

One continuity niggle though. Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't Action, Detective and JL taking place 5 years ago. In Detective it looks as if The Batman acts alone and is relatively new to the people of Gotham. However, in Batman and Robin, Damian makes disparaging remarks about the 3 Robins that came before him. 3 Robins is an awful lot to get through in 5 years.

Anyone else think that?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    QuincyMD wrote: »
    Oh boy are you in for a shock ::o

Prepare for an artist with an arse and breast fetish - its page after page of that without actually showing her face and as for the ending - well what a pile of wank.

iiuc doesn't Batman pay her a visit in #2 or in atleast one of the early issues. If so, then I'ma keeping around just to see how they handle their relationship (if they even have one). As for the title being nothing more than a succession of panels filled with an exaggeratingly proportioned faceless foe - that might not be so bad, unless he draws the men that way :eek:
    Amberite wrote: »
    One continuity niggle though. Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't Action, Detective and JL taking place 5 years ago. In Detective it looks as if The Batman acts alone and is relatively new to the people of Gotham. However, in Batman and Robin, Damian makes disparaging remarks about the 3 Robins that came before him. 3 Robins is an awful lot to get through in 5 years.

Anyone else think that?

iiuc the Robin "internship" in this DCnU is meant to be an intensive regeme(?) rather than a loooooong term partnership. He brings them in, shows 'em how to do it, then kicks 'em out the nest to fend for themselves.
    Forum Member
    Amberite wrote: »
    Mock me for a DC fanboy if you like but I've enjoyed nearly all of these so far and I've been reading comics, of and on, for 46 years.

I won't be buying any more Mr Terrific or Static Shock but up to now I will at least try the second issue of all the others.

Resurrection Man, Swamp Thing and Animal Man were really strong and Grifter was an unexpected pleasure.
    Let us know which you think are the stronger issues.
  • JCRJCR Posts: 24,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zwixxx wrote: »
    iiuc doesn't Batman pay her a visit in #2 or in atleast one of the early issues. If so, then I'ma keeping around just to see how they handle their relationship (if they even have one). As for the title being nothing more than a succession of panels filled with an exaggeratingly proportioned faceless foe - that might not be so bad, unless he draws the men that way :eek:

The final page of Catwoman 1 depicts
    Them having sex, after fighting.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ^ My issue of Cat#1 should arrive sometime early next week, so will avoid unspoilering the above until it then :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ^he was using protection, right ?! - there must be some place on his utility belt for some "party hats"
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 98
    Forum Member
    Mandark wrote: »
    Let us know which you think are the stronger issues.

As soon as I've read all 52, I'll let you know.

In the meantime you can't go wrong with the 4 I mentioned.
  • JCRJCR Posts: 24,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Batman ones have all been good, though you could argue they're too violent. I liked Wonder Woman 1 a lot, it was much better than the last relaunch of that comic

I was disappointed by Action Comics 1, starting off a Superman comic by having him behave just like Batman was odd.
    Forum Member
    Justice League Dark had a promising start. The only problem was that they were having to introduce all the members as well as show members of the regular league struggling against magic. Almost needed to be a double issue for a proper intro.

Finished the main 5 part Flashpoint series. As ordinary . You probably need to read the other related flashpoint issues to get the most out of the story line but there's about 50 of them. No doubt they'll all be compiled in a set of graphic novels.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just flicked thru Teen Titans and:
    (1) RR almost went into Batfink mode (you need to be right old to remember that), with his "your bullets cannot harm me, my wings are like a shield of steel. :D
    (2) RR with wings ................................... no thanq very much.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ^and what's this I see, Superman#1 having a "see FireStorm#1 for more on this" insert. Defn don't like that.
  • doom&gloomdoom&gloom Posts: 9,051
    Forum Member
    QuincyMD wrote: »

Prepare for an artist with an arse and breast fetish

That's not a fetish, that's what most men like.
    Forum Member
    I really liked All Star Western. A good murder mystery well set up. Demon Knights was ok but a bit complicated. Short comic but multiple characters.
    Forum Member
    Anyone know a good, cheap place to order some spare comic book bags and cardboard backings? Apart from my first two comics which came individually bagged and boarded (Action Comics 1 and Detective Comics 1) all my other comics have come in just one shared bag without any protective boards. As I intend to collect the first prints of my chosen 52 series comics, I want to protect them. All my comics have come from Forbidden Planet so why they being stingy on the bags and boards now anyways?
  • AtlanticAtlantic Posts: 936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    According to the new timeline Batman went through about three Robins within the space of FIVE years. Gotham Social Services must be worse than the muppets in Haringey Council.
  • doom&gloomdoom&gloom Posts: 9,051
    Forum Member
    Atlantic wrote: »
    According to the new timeline Batman went through about three Robins within the space of FIVE years. Gotham Social Services must be worse than the muppets in Haringey Council.

Or maybe Batman goes looking for troubled young boys if you know what I mean ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,240
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone know a good, cheap place to order some spare comic book bags and cardboard backings? Apart from my first two comics which came individually bagged and boarded (Action Comics 1 and Detective Comics 1) all my other comics have come in just one shared bag without any protective boards. As I intend to collect the first prints of my chosen 52 series comics, I want to protect them. All my comics have come from Forbidden Planet so why they being stingy on the bags and boards now anyways?

I get all my comics online from A Place In Space (http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/a-place-in-space/?_trksid=p4340.i2559) and all their comics come in separate bags and boards. I think they do sell spares as well but I don't know for how much.