Options

Do ITV 3 Cut Programmes?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,517
Forum Member
I have recently watched a couple of programmes on ITV 3 via ITV Player and there appears to be parts of the programmes that have been cut.

Firstly , Trial and Retribution. I had seen this particular episode before , but quite some time ago , so I couldn't remember all the plot , , but there was one incident I can recall.

The murder suspect , played by Charles Dance , is trying to leave the country by private plane and he is carrying a brief case containing £100,000. The detective , Mike Walker , manages to stop the plane from taking off. In the original version , Charles Dance then offers Walker about half the money for him to be allowed to leave the country. We do not see whether Walker accepts the money , but Dance is arrested. This latter scene was omitted from the version shown recently.

Secondly , Wire in the Blood. We see a scene where the police officers and Robson Green , discover that a human hand has been fingerprinted and then identified. They go round to an address expecting to find the next of kin , but instead the woman identifies herself as the person they assume is dead. And that is it. There is no explanation or mention of this again.

Both shows appear to have had bits cut from the original versions. Is this normal and if so why ?

Comments

• Options
    JELLIES0JELLIES0 Posts: 6,709
    Forum Member
    More ads being shown leaving insufficient time for the actual programme to be fitted into 60 minutes ?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,517
    Forum Member
    Having just watched the latest Wire in the Blood , it happened again . We see Robson Green in a police van and then with no explanation he is seen grappling with a murderer. I thought it was a fantasy scene to start with.
    If they are going to cut programmes perhaps they could cut out less crucial bits.
  • Options
    derek500derek500 Posts: 24,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JELLIES0 wrote: »
    More ads being shown leaving insufficient time for the actual programme to be fitted into 60 minutes ?

Exactly. Unless they extend the slots, they'll be cut.

Running times of ITV dramas have progressively become shorter over the years as more ad breaks have been allowed.

A two hour drama like Morse used to have three breaks and run 105m, the equivalent Lewis now has six breaks and only runs 88m.
  • Options
    philenglandphilengland Posts: 8,178
    Forum Member
    I think they should extend the slot the programmes fit in to in order to show the whole programme, fitting adverts in where they should go
  • Options
    Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's common sense.

When have programme schedulers had common sense?
  • Options
    djonshoredjonshore Posts: 4,759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the increase in the number of commercials and the breaks happened around 2002 just as ITV plc was formed. There seems to be three ad breaks now in a one hour programme with about 5 minutes of commercial where as before this you would have two ad breaks with commercials lasting about 3-3.5 minutes.

Also I've noticed that when a programme started there use to be an ad break 12 minutes in where as now it 7 minutes. Also after this they seem to be random on where to place an ad break.
  • Options
    malcy30malcy30 Posts: 7,175
    Forum Member
    Is why you should never watch any of the drama on ITV 4. Shows on there like the ITC ones, Sweeney, Professionals when programmes ran 50 to 52 minutes for a 1 hour slot. These days on ITV 4 you are lucky to get 45 minutes.

Even once they cut for pre watershed as show programmes any time, they must cut over 5 minutes of the programme to fit the slot. Just watch these on my DVDs.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    djonshore wrote: »
    I think the increase in the number of commercials and the breaks happened around 2002 just as ITV plc was formed. There seems to be three ad breaks now in a one hour programme with about 5 minutes of commercial where as before this you would have two ad breaks with commercials lasting about 3-3.5 minutes.

Also I've noticed that when a programme started there use to be an ad break 12 minutes in where as now it 7 minutes. Also after this they seem to be random on where to place an ad break.

It's normally every 11 mins (so 11, 22 and 33 mins in for a 44 min long show show in an 1hr long slot), but broadcasts are normally quite flexible, so look for natural break points so they don't ruin the flow too much
  • Options
    Bandspread199Bandspread199 Posts: 4,901
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't someone start a thread about ITV shows being late? For Pete's sake. it's just television - no one dies!!:rolleyes:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This isn't just an ITV3 thing, or even limited to ITV. Do broadcasters ever alter the playout speed?
  • Options
    derek500derek500 Posts: 24,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    djonshore wrote: »

The main PSB channels are allowed three breaks in a sixty minute slot. The breaks have a maximum length of 3m 50s of which a maximum of 3m30s can be paid advertisements.

The multichannels have no maximum break length (but do have maximum ad amounts).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do they do requests? Could they cut all Piers Morgan screen appearances?
  • Options
    Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kelvin McKenzie on Titchmarsh as well please!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    derek500 wrote: »
    The main PSB channels are allowed three breaks in a sixty minute slot. The breaks have a maximum length of 3m 50s of which a maximum of 3m30s can be paid advertisements.

The multichannels have no maximum break length (but do have maximum ad amounts).

I think the maximum ad break length rule is only for films. Otherwise E4 would never be able to stick a 20 min long show in a 30 min slot...
  • Options
    Wynne EvansWynne Evans Posts: 1,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't someone start a thread about ITV shows being late? For Pete's sake. it's just television - no one dies!!:rolleyes:

I despair, you don't really get what the OP is saying.

ITV3 has become a disgrace, they cut things left right and centre making shows unwatchable and that pisses of the viewer.

If they continue then viewers will drift and not return.
  • Options
    Wynne EvansWynne Evans Posts: 1,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    samwalk wrote: »
    This isn't just an ITV3 thing, or even limited to ITV. Do broadcasters ever alter the playout speed?

I have noticed that on American imports that the voices appear squeaky as if they are speeded up, for instance watching 'Two Broke Girls' on Fours channel Caroline was squeaky to the point of chip monk yet on my erm Downloaded copy from the States her voice is slower.
  • Options
    popeye13popeye13 Posts: 8,573
    Forum Member
    The breaks may not total more than 12 minutes of paid-for advertising in any one clock hour.
  • Options
    Gordie10Gordie10 Posts: 2,497
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the maximum ad break length rule is only for films. Otherwise E4 would never be able to stick a 20 min long show in a 30 min slot...

derek500 was only talking about the main PSB channels there - i.e. ITV1, Channel 4 and Channel 5. All other commercial channels, including E4, have different rules, which don't restrict ad-break-length.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Gordie10 wrote: »
    derek500 was only talking about the main PSB channels there - i.e. ITV1, Channel 4 and Channel 5. All other commercial channels, including E4, have different rules, which don't restrict ad-break-length.

I don't think there's restrictions on the length of any channels for PSB otherwise C5 would never be able to squeeze a 40-42 min show into a 60 min long slot, especially if they don't use the full 12 mins of advertising...
  • Options
    JELLIES0JELLIES0 Posts: 6,709
    Forum Member
    derek500 wrote: »
    Exactly. Unless they extend the slots, they'll be cut.

Running times of ITV dramas have progressively become shorter over the years as more ad breaks have been allowed.

A two hour drama like Morse used to have three breaks and run 105m, the equivalent Lewis now has six breaks and only runs 88m.

I seem to remember Gold or some other channel dedication 70 minutes to programmes which originally had a 60 minute slot when first shown on ITV.
  • Options
    swillsswills Posts: 4,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have noticed that on American imports that the voices appear squeaky as if they are speeded up, for instance watching 'Two Broke Girls' on Fours channel Caroline was squeaky to the point of chip monk yet on my erm Downloaded copy from the States her voice is slower.

That is, I think because we run at a slightly higher fps rate here, maybe barking up wrong tree, but i am sure it's somehting along those lines

If you look at Region 1 DVD, that will have a longer (just) running time than a Region 2 version.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    swills wrote: »
    That is, I think because we run at a slightly higher fps rate here, maybe barking up wrong tree, but i am sure it's somehting along those lines

If you look at Region 1 DVD, that will have a longer (just) running time than a Region 2 version.

Yes they play back shows at 23 fps, we use 25 fps, so shows are sped up. DVD have the same issue, but Blu-Rays do not
  • Options
    Gordie10Gordie10 Posts: 2,497
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think there's restrictions on the length of any channels for PSB otherwise C5 would never be able to squeeze a 40-42 min show into a 60 min long slot, especially if they don't use the full 12 mins of advertising...

Well maybe the code isn't being enforced then, but it does exist:
    14. Breaks during programmes on public service channels may not exceed 3 minutes 50 seconds, of which advertisements may not exceed 3 minutes 30 seconds.

- http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/binaries/broadcast/other-codes/tacode.pdf
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rule 12 - ads on any channel must only occur during natural breaks. Enforced?
    "12. Where television advertising or teleshopping is inserted during programmes, television broadcasters must ensure that the integrity of the programme is not prejudiced, having regard to the nature and duration of the programme, and where natural breaks occur."

That seems to ban ad break in football matches when one side is about to score a goal, and don't get me started on the paralympics.

Also
    "16a) films and news programmes may only include one advertising or teleshopping break for each scheduled period of at least 30 minutes"

"16b) children’s programmes (other than schools programmes) with a scheduled duration of 30 minutes or less may not include an advertising or teleshopping break."