What's happened to Steve Wright?

It looks as though he's going to be off the air for at least four weeks now - Dale Winton filled in last week, is doing this week and next week, and according to the Radio Times, Chris Tarrant is on after that!

Seems odd that he'd be on holiday for that long, surely?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 91
    Forum Member
    Don't build my hopes up :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 395
    Forum Member
    Oh I hope he returns. I love the show.
  • PowerplayPowerplay Posts: 4,690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nothing wrong with Steve Wright and his traditional family entertaining show. I genuinely do 'love the show!'

Give me Radio 2 over Heart any day! :)
  • TabbythecatTabbythecat Posts: 33,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Omm wrote: »

Seems odd that he'd be on holiday for that long, surely?

There appears to be a lot of speculation regarding SW some say his contract is for a certain number of shows per year, or his sudden weight gain for reasons unknown us maybe causing him problems
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Steve hasn't been a "well man" since the early 80s!
  • michael1152michael1152 Posts: 1,966
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    what's wrong with him just now?
  • Mapperley RidgeMapperley Ridge Posts: 9,922
    Forum Member
    There appears to be a lot of speculation regarding SW some say his contract is for a certain number of shows per year, or his sudden weight gain for reasons unknown us maybe causing him problems

This is correct. He has no obligation to do more than the number of shows agreed to.

Anything else would be wild speculation, and none of our business.
  • barnaclebarnacle Posts: 385
    Forum Member
    I think Mark Ratcliffe did the afternoon show for a whole month a couple of years back, so maybe this is nothing new.

A change is as good as a rest. :)
  • occyoccy Posts: 64,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He's in new york getting another 1000 jingles made:D

I remember about 2 years ago he took a long break. Mark Radcliffe sat in for him. It's his 2nd week of 4 off.

Miss you Steve, Love The Show.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dale is covering for 3 weeks before he goes off with Cilla on his hols :D. Chris Tarrant is listed to cover from the 26th July for a week.
  • danrichardsdanrichards Posts: 427
    Forum Member
    As much as it pains me to think he might come back, I suppose taking 4 weeks off is just fulfiling his holiday entitlement. Just that others take a week or 2 at a time normally...
  • Joey DeaconJoey Deacon Posts: 3,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh I hope he returns. I love the show.

Yeah, great to have you back on the big show Steve.

Love the show.
  • ~Twinkle~~Twinkle~ Posts: 8,165
    Forum Member
    Yeah, great to have you back on the big show Steve.

Love the show.

Me too, let the chap have a holiday.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 483
    Forum Member
    A rather odd announcement on BBC London today, as Danny Baker told his listener that he was taking over Wrighty's slot from April.

I know Danny is often given to frivolous, throwaway lines such as this, and it seems a long time for two people to keep presenting their shows as if nothing is happening, but he sounded like he was serious and he could, to some ears, be a ready made replacement.

Personally, I enjoy Steve Wright's show and, although I'm a regular listener, I don't think Danny is the right man for that slot, but is there a germ of truth, or was it just a bit of 'par for the course' DB BS?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DB comment is probarly tongue and cheek. I can't see Steve leaving the afternoon show. He's the longest serving afternoon show on any Radio station, and been doing it for 20+ years for both R1&2.
  • Mapperley RidgeMapperley Ridge Posts: 9,922
    Forum Member
    I think you're correct Occy - probably a bit of timely banter from Danny Baker. Although by saying next April he will, of course, fuel speculation on forums like this and possibly wider afield.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm no Dale fan but at least OH and I don't have to rush to turn radio 2 off at 2pm at the moment.
  • NokiaNokiaNokiaNokia Posts: 1,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As much as it pains me to think he might come back, I suppose taking 4 weeks off is just fulfiling his holiday entitlement. Just that others take a week or 2 at a time normally...

Most other (normal) people have only 4 weeks, maybe 5, for the whole year which is why they take a week or 2 at a time. Steve had holiday early in the year, I think Dale also covered earlier in the year, and Tarrant too. If he's off again now (4 weeks?), he never works in the Children In Need week and will probably be off Christmas too - how many weeks does he get?

Someone mentioned that he is contracted 'per show', which I suppose factors in the days and times he doesn't work.

It must mess around with RAJAR though, giving presenters so much time off across the year. If out of 12 months, he's not on air for 2 months that seems quite steep to me.
  • GeorgeSGeorgeS Posts: 20,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NokiaNokia wrote: »
    It must mess around with RAJAR though, giving presenters so much time off across the year. If out of 12 months, he's not on air for 2 months that seems quite steep to me.

Perhaps the RAJARS are the same regardless of whether he is there on not. Which begs the question of why Radio 2 think they need to pay Wright £500k+ per year for 40 weeks work.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's not had a holiday for a while so maybe he's using his holiday now.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's not had a holiday for a while so maybe he's using his holiday now.

20 days without a holiday. A bit like the US trailer parks that sometimes go for a month without a tornado :D
  • TabbythecatTabbythecat Posts: 33,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GeorgeS wrote: »
    Perhaps the RAJARS are the same regardless of whether he is there on not. Which begs the question of why Radio 2 think they need to pay Wright £500k+ per year for 40 weeks work.

Its not as much as that George, its rumoured to be in the region of £440,000 that of course is according to wikipedia

so that works out to around 10 grand a week
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    so that works out to around 10 grand a week

the Wayne Rooney of radio :eek:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    10 K a week is average for a radio 2 presenter. I guess a lot a on more or less then Wrighty? Most of his holidays are probarly not paid for. Rajars probarly don't effect when he takes his holidays as they are quite good when too take them and not around the time they an't counted. Last Holiday he took was a week, but because of the volcanic ash stopped him coming home he took an extra week. Tim Smith sometimes covers shows like Alex Lester when Wrighty is off, but not this time and probarly off the same length of time. Janey is covering for Sunday Love Songs.

Extended holidays doesn't mean he's leaving the station. Chris Tarrant used to take over a month off during the summer when he was on Capital. A lot of TV presenters also do this.
  • mcfctonymcfctony Posts: 269
    Forum Member
    occy wrote: »
    Most of his holidays are probarly not paid for. Rajars probarly don't effect ......

Excellent. 'Probarly' and 'effect'. Keep up the good work. Love the show :)