Ryse - Son of Rome

2dshmuplover2dshmuplover Posts: 8,271
Forum Member
Only 3 days away from release so time for a thread. After Forza this is probably the game I'm most intrigued by,

I stumbled across some great footage from Gamespot this morning (it's generally spoiler light but not entirely spoiler free) which gives a good indication of what to expect with the game.

Ryse - Gamespot footage

Those graphics are lovely, if this is the quality of visuals we can expect from the X1 at launch (along with Forza 5) then I have no concerns whatsoever over the machine's capabilities.

Combat system seems more Batman AA/C or Assassins Creed than God of War with it's own unique focus on executions and finishers. The main question is; Is the combat engine deep enough to sustain interest throughout the whole campaign. I hope so.

Comments

• brbbrb Posts: 27,405
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The more I hear about Ryse, the more interested I am in it. I'm really torn on it. I'll probably wait a few weeks either way though; so many great games coming out this month, ahhh.
  • 2dshmuplover2dshmuplover Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member
    Yeah and it's not cheap either. The recent Gamespot footage has impressed a fair number of people, even those who sitting on the fence before. Crytek really have polished the game up since it's unveiling. If it turns out to be Xbox's Heavenly Sword then fair enough, I will support it regardless as I think as an IP it has a lot of promise and I would love to see a sequel.

Another recent video: The Art of Execution

I'll be honest, I really like the sound of the combat, it's one of those games that allows skilled players to enjoy a different experience to those just starting out. If you can keep your combo string going and get into a good flow then more combat strategies open up as well as advanced executions.
  • Brass Drag0nBrass Drag0n Posts: 5,046
    Forum Member
    I keep flip-flopping on whether to get this. I'm not usually very good at stringing together button combo's for this type of game , but Ryse looks such fun that I am really tempted.
  • stefmeisterstefmeister Posts: 8,390
    Forum Member
    brb wrote: »
    The more I hear about Ryse, the more interested I am in it.
    I've actually gone the other way.

Was impressed when I 1st saw it at E3 but the more I see of it the less impressed I am.

Visually it looks stunning but the gameplay looks repetitive & a bit boring & the opinions of a few people I know elsewhere who have played it have only backed up that opinion as has the more recent gameplay stuff I've seen (Including the gamespot video above).
  • dazzy71dazzy71 Posts: 511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecsCrOEYl7c

If it plays half as good as it looks then i'll be getting it
  • He4rtHe4rt Posts: 5,379
    Forum Member
    I so want this game to be good. If it plays as well as it looks it could be a massive hit for me.

The multiplayer arena alone could give me hours of fun.
  • Red ArrowRed Arrow Posts: 10,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dazzy71 wrote: »
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecsCrOEYl7c

If it plays half as good as it looks then i'll be getting it

That looks epic. I really hope this is a surprise hit for MS.

I won't be getting it on launch day purely because I want to hear what other people think first before handing over my cash.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    I'm really looking forward to this. Hope it doesn't disappoint!
    Forum Member
    I keep flip-flopping on whether to get this. I'm not usually very good at stringing together button combo's for this type of game , but Ryse looks such fun that I am really tempted.

Yeah, I've always been pretty bad at that as well for some reason, especially with Sleeping Dogs or Batman AA/AC. I always seem to get hit even if I'm trying hard no to.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 182
    Forum Member
    Any idea on what the story's like. I know there's apparently 100 or so finishing moves so as long as the story is tight I will probably pick this up.
  • He4rtHe4rt Posts: 5,379
    Forum Member
    First review

http://www.3news.co.nz/Ryse-Son-of-Rome-review/tabid/418/articleID/322143/Default.aspx#.UozXLbIgGSP

4/5

My favourite part
    Much of the game brought me loads of joy, the cutscenes had me driving a clenched fist up in the air (before stopping abruptly and looking out the window to see if anyone in the apartment building across the road had seen).
    :D
  • cooltvcooltv Posts: 3,517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    These guys are streaming this at 6pm if anyones interested.

http://www.twitch.tv/gamesradar
    Forum Member
    He4rt wrote: »

I really hope that's a taste of what's to come but I've never even heard of these guys. Not a bad start though! :D
  • Octopus_PrimeOctopus_Prime Posts: 851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OXM have given it 7/10
    Ryse looks spectacular, as you'd expect from Crytek, and the basic combat is extremely satisfying - even if it doesn't evolve much over the game. Meanwhile, the Gladiator Mode gives the game longer appeal, but is poisoned by randomised, monetised, loot.

http://www.oxm.co.uk/66649/reviews/ryse-son-of-rome-review/
  • stefmeisterstefmeister Posts: 8,390
    Forum Member
    He4rt wrote: »
    Ryse Reviews

Polygon 6/10

Eurogamer 5/10

Gamespot 4/10

IGN 6.8

Kotaku: Yes

Joystiq: 2.5/5

Destructoid 5/10

Gametrailers gave it - 7/10
  • dazzy71dazzy71 Posts: 511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is getting a bit of a slaughtering in some reviews. I did fear no matter how it looked the gameplay would let it down. This was on my maybe list. Not anymore i'm afraid. May pick it up 2nd hand after xmas just to play it for its visuals
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dazzy71 wrote: »
    This is getting a bit of a slaughtering in some reviews. I did fear no matter how it looked the gameplay would let it down. This was on my maybe list. Not anymore i'm afraid. May pick it up 2nd hand after xmas just to play it for its visuals

Such a shame, I had high hopes for it (obviously not high enough as I didnt deem it worthy of being in my pre order)

Was going to get this either pre-owned or as a download, proably just avoid it now.

Lets be fair, Xbone has enough of a strong line up to not be bother the regualr gamer if this one is a bit weak.
  • Cestrian18Cestrian18 Posts: 6,855
    Forum Member
    Such a shame, I had high hopes for it (obviously not high enough as I didnt deem it worthy of being in my pre order)

Was going to get this either pre-owned or as a download, proably just avoid it now.

Lets be fair, Xbone has enough of a strong line up to not be bother the regualr gamer if this one is a bit weak.

I'm making my own mind up, it has got a bit of a critical panning, but I don't mind a bit of repetitive gameplay if the plot and graphics are as epic as they seem. Still the launch game I'm most excited about playing by far
    Forum Member
    I think it's fair to say that the launch games on both PS4 and X1 have been reviewed more harshly than current gen standards, which is fair enough, these games should be capable of making a good impression as that's what's selling this expensive hardware, but I have enjoyed a lot of games this past gen that reviewed quite average across the board.

I know I'm bit of an optimist but I'm hoping Ryse is one of those games, pretty much every review states there's nothing wrong with it and it's very playable, multiplayer is good too but it's just not that fun and quite repetitive, well "fun" is subjective. So long long as there are no game breaking flaws and terrible design choices then it stands a chance. I'm still looking forward to it.

Oh and there's the small matter of it being THE game to get to show off next-gen hardware. ;) I hope it sells well so all these complaints can be addressed in a sequel, it has a lot of potential.
  • SpeedloaferSpeedloafer Posts: 2,407
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's fair to say that the launch games on both PS4 and X1 have been reviewed more harshly than current gen standards, which is fair enough, these games should be capable of making a good impression as that's what's selling this expensive hardware, but I have enjoyed a lot of games this past gen that reviewed quite average across the board.

I know I'm bit of an optimist but I'm hoping Ryse is one of those games, pretty much every review states there's nothing wrong with it and it's very playable, multiplayer is good too but it's just not that fun and quite repetitive, well "fun" is subjective. So long long as there are no game breaking flaws and terrible design choices then it stands a chance. I'm still looking forward to it.

Oh and there's the small matter of it being THE game to get to show off next-gen hardware. ;) I hope it sells well so all these complaints can be addressed in a sequel, it has a lot of potential.

You havnt even played the first one and you are hoping for improvements in the second.:confused: Its no wonder companies churn our mediocre games with this attitude.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cestrian18 wrote: »
    I'm making my own mind up, it has got a bit of a critical panning, but I don't mind a bit of repetitive gameplay if the plot and graphics are as epic as they seem. Still the launch game I'm most excited about playing by far

Totally agree, still not wanting to buy it new so like I said either get it pre-owned or a loan from a mate.

I feel that most games to a certain extent have repetative game play but the fact is how repetative are we talking?

Is it god of war level of repetative where every battle is essentially and noticably the same but done in an interesting way or is it "dantes inferno" levels of bordom and repetition?

Its good that the graphics are of a high standard but how long will it be before that wears out its welcome? (you can only look at the mona lisa for so long before wanting something new...sorry forgot which site I was on..err..you can only look at Gemma Atkinson for so long (granted a vrey long time) before wanting something new)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I agree with this to an extent but dont think that becasue a game is on the next gen its being reviewed harder than if it was on current gen.

A good game will always be a good game no matter how old it is or when it was released. (thats not to say some games age badly or were a product of the time period)

For instance Super Mario World on the SNES was and still is one of the best platfom games ever released and is sitll great by todays high standards.

The last of us could have been held back to be a next gen release (could still show up as a High deff release at some point) but by your thinking it would not have scored anywhere near as much in terms of critical and commercial response if it was held back to PS4 which I have to say is totally wrong.

Ryse appears to have many flaws but while it appears to be graphically amazing, in terms of interesting game play and story it is lacking.

The games devs dont appear to have that much faith in it as its been one of the most secretive and review embargoed games of all the next gen releases.

I would say that if it was released current gen it would get the same scores as it is currently receiving which while they are not stellar reviews, they are hardly "game destroying / keep away from all costs", just ok to meh reviews.
    Forum Member
    You havnt even played the first one and you are hoping for improvements in the second.:confused: Its no wonder companies churn our mediocre games with this attitude.

Explain what is wrong with my logic there so I understand you better. Hopefully a sequel can take into considerations the repetitive nature and simplified combat which are the main areas of complaint. The problem is what? This is how good games are made.
    Forum Member
    The last of us could have been held back to be a next gen release (could still show up as a High deff release at some point) but by your thinking it would not have scored anywhere near as much in terms of critical and commercial response if it was held back to PS4 which I have to say is totally wrong.

I'm not trying to excuse the issues the game suffers from, my point being there are more expectations on the next-gen to deliver an experience that cannot be had on current gen hardware. This is just natural otherwise we may as well forget any evolution within videogames.

I believe the games are subject to stricter reviewing standards which needs to happen on some levels, but it's been this way ever since we left the jump from 16-bit 2D to 32-bit 3D. It takes something exceptional to score high at a new console launch. This doesn't just apply to X1, but PS4 and Wii U also.

I don't actually think TLOU would of received the same amount of praise had it been released on PS4 and likewise I think Knack would of reviewed better on PS3. But I'm not talking about a night and day difference here as you are assuming, just that it's there and plays a part in the review process.
  • fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ryse is crap. It was always going to be. I fail to see how some people didn't see it coming and even now some can't accept it. I even begged people to wait for reviews before buying it in this very forum.

Oh well, people are entitled to do what they want with their money. At least they'll have something pretty to show off to their friends and for some, I guess, that alone will justify the expense.