Options

Iconic pop videos

Comments

• Options
    PenrosePenrose Posts: 878
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Seriously?
    I wonder if you have quite a limited knowledge of music and therefore,are you the right person to be compiling a music quiz?

You are confused.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Johnny Cash's Hurt, some Duran Duran ones also possibly?

I have Rio.
  • Options
    biscuitfactorybiscuitfactory Posts: 29,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Penrose wrote: »
    You are confused.

Funny..I don't feel confused in the slightest.
    How am I confused?

You asked to be directed to some iconic videos which you could use stills from in a quiz.
    I provided the names of several well known ( but not so obvious as to be too easy..as some of the suggestions on this thread have been) music videos.

If you don't know these well known videos,which were shown ad nuaseum on MTV and VH1 when they were current and for several years after then I can only assume that you are very young ( under 20) and/or have very limited music knowledge
  • Options
    abarthmanabarthman Posts: 8,501
    Forum Member
    Seriously?
    Yes, I think you just listed some music videos that you personally liked, but they are hardly likely to be recognised by many people from a video still.
    I wonder if you have quite a limited knowledge of music and therefore,are you the right person to be compiling a music quiz?
    Well, it's a good job that I'm not compiling a music quiz, then!
  • Options
    TrebleKingTrebleKing Posts: 2,390
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ashes To Ashes by David Bowie.
  • Options
    Mr DangerousMr Dangerous Posts: 902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You want iconic, Aha - Take on me
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Funny..I don't feel confused in the slightest.
    How am I confused?

You asked to be directed to some iconic videos which you could use stills from in a quiz.
    I provided the names of several well known ( but not so obvious as to be too easy..as some of the suggestions on this thread have been) music videos.

If you don't know these well known videos,which were shown ad nuaseum on MTV and VH1 when they were current and for several years after then I can only assume that you are very young ( under 20) and/or have very limited music knowledge

You suggested to a different poster that they shouldn't be running a music quiz, they aren't (to my knowledge) I am, therefore you're confused.

HTH.

BTW, I wouldn't say that many of them were shown ad nauseum on MTV or VH1, Soundgarden was but I'd never seen the Moby one and certainly wouldn't attribute it to the song.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You want iconic, Aha - Take on me

Yep, got it already :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • Options
    NostalgicNostalgic Posts: 7,198
    Forum Member
    I Want to Break Free - Queen
  • Options
    RetroMusicFanRetroMusicFan Posts: 6,673
    Forum Member
    Penrose wrote: »

Mary Jane's Last Dance by Tom Petty And The Heartbreakers.

That's Kim Basinger playing Mary Jane, the dead girl Tom dances with in the video clip!

Very iconic video.
  • Options
    WhisperingGhostWhisperingGhost Posts: 4,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some people are just naming their favorite artists or songs - that does NOT make it iconic!

Baby one more time
    Wannabe
    I want to break free
    Vogue

Videos that, whether you liked or not, define or were a defining moment of each particular era.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mary Jane's Last Dance by Tom Petty And The Heartbreakers.

That's Kim Basinger playing Mary Jane, the dead girl Tom dances with in the video clip!

Very iconic video.

Dead right and I fully agree that it should be considered iconic owing to Kim being in it.

(great record too)
  • Options
    cliffy91cliffy91 Posts: 1,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wired For Sound.........but maybe for all the wrong reasons :D
  • Options
    scratchy23scratchy23 Posts: 3,675
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Beyonce - Single Ladies
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I doubt if hardly anyone would have even heard of that Tom Petty one (whatever it was), so I wouldn't have thought it could be described as iconic. I'm not sure that any of Madonna's videos are particularly iconic, but I have to agree about the Britney Spears one, if if I don't like it.

However, I will now argue with myself because I would suggest the video for Bowie's Heart's Filthy Lesson, as it was quite radical in sound and vision, also because it was used at the end of Se7en.

Tim Pope's Cure videos were quite ground breaking in their style, but I suppose Close To Me is the one that everybody talked about at the time.

I'm in two minds about Blondie's Union City Blue, because it was actually quite a crap video, yet did seem to capture a particular moment in time.

Also the Country House video from Blur. Crap song and I hate the video, but it also defines its period.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whilst I see your point about the Tom Petty video, for my purposes seeing Kim Basinger is going to make you think of two videos, that one and the one she did with Was Not Was.
  • Options
    mushymanrobmushymanrob Posts: 17,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    id argue against thriller on most of the claims made about it...but it was a very iconic vid, whether it was a ground breaking vid or a cheesy rip off of a b movie film. (even by the same producer).
  • Options
    BoobobBoobob Posts: 331
    Forum Member
    barbeler wrote: »
    I doubt if hardly anyone would have even heard of that Tom Petty one (whatever it was), so I wouldn't have thought it could be described as iconic. I'm not sure that any of Madonna's videos are particularly iconic, but I have to agree about the Britney Spears one, if if I don't like it.

However, I will now argue with myself because I would suggest the video for Bowie's Heart's Filthy Lesson, as it was quite radical in sound and vision, also because it was used at the end of Se7en.

Tim Pope's Cure videos were quite ground breaking in their style, but I suppose Close To Me is the one that everybody talked about at the time.

I'm in two minds about Blondie's Union City Blue, because it was actually quite a crap video, yet did seem to capture a particular moment in time.

Also the Country House video from Blur. Crap song and I hate the video, but it also defines its period.

]I'm not sure that any of Madonna's videos are particularly iconic

Completely disagree with you there, Madonna has many iconic videos LOL
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rhythm Nation owns this thread. Can't believe it hadn't been mentioned yet. After Thriller of course.
  • Options
    abarthmanabarthman Posts: 8,501
    Forum Member
    Daft Punk - Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger - Daft Bodies video - the one with the two girls with the words written on their bodies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLYD_-A_X5E
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd deffo use single ladies, the impact it had for such a modern video is amazing.

I think some people are confusing good videos for iconc ones. the basement jazz and moby ones are great but they didn't have the classic lasting effect an iconic video needs.
  • Options
    rebellionrebellion Posts: 851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Britney Spears - Baby One More Time
    Britney Spears - Toxic
    Michael Jackson - Thriller
    Madonna - Like A Prayer
  • Options
    Brummie Girl Brummie Girl Posts: 22,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭