Going on Holiday and want to bring back an XboxOne

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 486
Forum Member
Going to Disneyworld in a few weeks and thinking of bring back an XboxOne

so have a few questions

Anyone know where the best place near or @ disneyworld that may sell an XboxOne? and would Orlando Airport sell one?

Thanks

Lukieboi82

Comments

• NX-74205NX-74205 Posts: 4,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope you don't think it'll be any cheaper, you'll get raped by HMRC upon return.
  • Vast_GirthVast_Girth Posts: 9,793
    Forum Member
    Won't there be region-locking issues as well?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 486
    Forum Member
    I don't think i would be taxed upon return since i'm allowed upto £390 in personal allowance and since i'll mostly be just getting bits and bobs with my excess being the xboxone, i was just wonderin' how i could get one from US since i'm not a driver and only transport that will take place is between the airport and disneyworld.
  • gds1972gds1972 Posts: 6,613
    Forum Member
    Also voltage will be different so you will need to get a new power brick or a transformer. By the time you take everything into account if will probably work out about the same. Also don't forget sales tax will need to be added to the price displayed.
  • makavelli132makavelli132 Posts: 1,297
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Try a dixons tax free at the airport.
  • Jean-FrancoisJean-Francois Posts: 2,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lukieboi82 wrote: »
    I don't think i would be taxed upon return since i'm allowed upto £390 in personal allowance and since i'll mostly be just getting bits and bobs with my excess being the xboxone, i was just wonderin' how i could get one from US since i'm not a driver and only transport that will take place is between the airport and disneyworld.

I am told that there is an electronics store in Orlando Premium Outlets Mall, on International Drive in Orlando, called DLL electronics, check them out.
    I was in Punta Gorda Fl. in June, and went to the Apple Store at Coconut Point, Estero Fl. and bought an iPad Air.
    They retail at £399 in the U.K., I paid $499 + Tax, which at June's exchange rate came to £322 when the CC bill came in.
    It worked in the U.S. and it works fine here, guarantee is O.K. world-wide.
    No hassle at Customs, didn't even have to declare it.
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,907
    Forum Member
    Try a dixons tax free at the airport.

Amazon will be cheaper.
  • Philip WalesPhilip Wales Posts: 6,373
    Forum Member
    I wouldn't of thought it's worth it, you may save £50 or so but with having to get a whole new power supply for the machine and problems you may encounter with region locking etc. Plus not sure if MS's warranty is worldwide unlike Apples.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 464
    Forum Member
    You'll need a transformer to get it to work. Does the TV need to be multi -regional? What about games, are they region free?
    Forum Member
    Don't think you'll need a transformer the xbox has a separate power supply, so just buy that.
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is no certainty it will perform reliably in the UK.

I think it's more the issue relating to actual game play than the power supply voltage issues.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 464
    Forum Member
    Don't think you'll need a transformer the xbox has a separate power supply, so just buy that.

Thanks for sorting that out. My kids have a different xbox and we got a transformer. I hate them using it as it hums annoyingly while it's running. At least the games are cheaper though!
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Apparently there are three xbox power supply units. a 110-120V one, a 220-240V one and a 110-240V one.

http://support.xbox.com/en-GB/xbox-one/system/about-power-supply

I'm kind of tempted to ask why they don't just supply the 110-250V one everywhere rather than have three options. Apart from the obvious one that it helps deter people buying one in a cheaper region that just happens to use a different mains voltage.

Assuming there are no other major differences between different regional versions that don't just need a config tweak to change of course.
    Forum Member
    As above mentioned it's not the power, it's the games and local issues with online games etc. I would google buying xboxone from America, and see whats what. A lot of devices can be "factory reset" and then when they download the new os software they will download the local version. I did that for my kindle fire, but how the Xbox works I don't know.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 486
    Forum Member
    After doing tons of research i can state that all games are region-free unless locked my the developers themselves... as for the power supply, i found this and i will link the forum to it aswell as many xbox users have confirmed that this method works
    Here is what I came up with:

1. Try to remember an old friend of yours in one of the “supported” and 220V countries

2. Go to myservice.xbox.com

3. Log in an register the console you bought in the US

4. Go to Devices->Xbox One->Replace an accessory

5. Pick “Power supply”, and click “Next”

6. Now you will be presented with an option of replacing your current supply with a new one. That’s not what you want to do. Oddly enough, click on “Select an accessory not shown”

7. Now you will be able to actually order a new power supply

8. Enter your friend’s address and other data

9. Chose the proper locale in the upper right corner – it shouldn’t be “United States”, unless you want another 110V power supply

10. Accept all terms & conditions, follow the instructions, and enter your credit card number

11. Ask your friend to send you the power supply.

Now if you live in a "supported" country, but you just bought the console in the US, you can skip steps 1 and 11 :) I live in a country that is not supported, but the voltage & plugs are the same as in Germany. So I did exactly what I wrote above, and a German-compatible power supply has been shipped to my friend's address in Germany.

Now, this didn't come from Xbox support, it's something I came up with, and I don't know the results until I really get the supply in my hands, so do it on your own risk. However, I am reasonably confident the things will play out well.

This Link will lead you to the official Xbox forum where people were speaking about the power supply and the charge for a PSU is around 37 EUR which isn't badly priced compared to the unofficial PSU which void your warranty in the event of Xbox One breaking.

As if you read the forum, the guy said that it took 5 working days for him to receive the PSU

Just thought i share my research in this to help fellow peeps incase they seek the same advice
  • Red ArrowRed Arrow Posts: 10,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't really think it's worth the savings to be honest. If you lucky you may save £50, but then you have a new PSU to buy and you have the whole warranty issue to deal with if it breaks.

Just check out hotukdeals.com where there are always good bargains on console bundles appearing.
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,907
    Forum Member
    Red Arrow wrote: »
    I don't really think it's worth the savings to be honest. If you lucky you may save £50, but then you have a new PSU to buy and you have the whole warranty issue to deal with if it breaks.

Just check out hotukdeals.com where there are always good bargains on console bundles appearing.

I agree. Not worth the minimal savings.
  • LushnessLushness Posts: 38,168
    Forum Member
    Red Arrow wrote: »

There are some great deals on there. Agreed it's not worth saving a few quid imo; then there's the hassle of carrying the thing...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you come back through Calais, you should be able to find someone who'll sell you one for about 50euros if you hang on a bit.
    They'll also happily sit in the boot and hold it to make sure it doesn't get damaged by vibrations.
  • DynopiaDynopia Posts: 1,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't do it, prices in the UK are around £330 now (and will go lower this holiday).