People dying on Live TV

15678911»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 249
    Forum Member
    Purpleduck wrote: »
    Really wish (again out of morbid curiosity) I'd not googled/ watched that either.
    Me too.
    Normally such things don't worry me at all but I've just had a very strong physical reaction to that video. Just spent the last 10 minutes in the bathroom trying not to throw up! :(

I don't think it's the gore particularly, rather the matter of factness of the whole thing. One minute there is a personable, articulate man, and the next a hunk of dead meat.

I genuinely advise people not to watch it. I wish I hadn't.
  • jackoljackol Posts: 7,887
    Forum Member
    No, it was definitely live and was filmed by Yorkshire TV. The video was leaked onto Youtube sometime ago but removed thankfully.

No it wasnt live. The cameras were there for reports only.
  • stirlingguy1stirlingguy1 Posts: 7,038
    Forum Member
    jackol wrote: »
    No it wasnt live. The cameras were there for reports only.

Apologies, you're right. Since 9/11, Im sure (though I could be wrong) that the way in which live news events are covered has changed (on the BBC at least). Im sure that a delay is now put in to prevent viewers seeing potentially damaging images.
  • sgt.cryersgt.cryer Posts: 3,676
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apologies, you're right. Since 9/11, Im sure (though I could be wrong) that the way in which live news events are covered has changed (on the BBC at least). Im sure that a delay is now put in to prevent viewers seeing potentially damaging images.

If there is a delay, then i think that takes something away from a Live report. News isnt meant to be sanitised
  • richy23richy23 Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member
    Justin Lee Collins, every week on the Friday Night Project.

Justin Lee Collins is brilliant!
  • welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    if you ever go on a fire training course they show the bradford fire at the begining of the course
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 501
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Croshtique wrote: »
    But for various Italian legal reasons he only actually died at the nearby hospital of course...

His brain was dead instantly on scene and his body was kept alive until he reached the local hospital , and then they decided they could do nothing else for him.
  • stirlingguy1stirlingguy1 Posts: 7,038
    Forum Member
    sgt.cryer wrote: »
    If there is a delay, then i think that takes something away from a Live report. News isnt meant to be sanitised

Yes there is a delay. See the following: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/tv_and_radio/4713833.stm

"The BBC is now imposing a time delay when broadcasting sensitive news stories, such as a siege or hijack, as part of a new policy coming into force. The BBC set out the ruling in its new Editorial Guidelines, following live coverage of 2004's Beslan school siege"
  • RodaramaRodarama Posts: 2,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good Lord that Bud Dwyer thing is extraordinary!
  • Toxteth O'GradyToxteth O'Grady Posts: 8,476
    Forum Member
    Yes there is a delay. See the following: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/tv_and_radio/4713833.stm

"The BBC is now imposing a time delay when broadcasting sensitive news stories, such as a siege or hijack, as part of a new policy coming into force. The BBC set out the ruling in its new Editorial Guidelines, following live coverage of 2004's Beslan school siege"

But that's not a time delay on everything, they're just being more wary when putting a feed live to air. With servers in use in news it's easy - they just record it and then play it out cutting out the iffy bits

Other TV stations do it too of course and it's not just for taste reasons - useful when the company feeding the pictures cuts to colour bars for example!

The recent explosions in Pakistan (the attempted and the successful assasinations of Bhutto) produced some horrible pictures which were fed from the agencies like reuters and AP, not something you would want to run straight to air without reviewing them first