Why do Apple have to change their hardware ports everytime a new phone is launched?

kate03kate03 Posts: 4,036
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Why not keep the same ports and plug in availability or give adapters for free? What's the need for changing the hardware in terms of plugability?

It pisses me off that i bought an Ipod thing with speakers etc, only to find out that they are now redundant unless a very expensive adaptor is puchased to make the latest Iphone compatiblle.

Why is it necessary to change ports and sim cards ets to make previously very expensive items almost rendless and useless unless people are techie savvy whizz kids?

Comments

• irishguyirishguy Posts: 22,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kate03 wrote: »
    Why not keep the same ports and plug in availability or give adapters for free? What's the need for changing the hardware in terms of plugability?

It pisses me off that i bought an Ipod thing with speakers etc, only to find out that they are now redundant unless a very expensive adaptor is puchased to make the latest Iphone compatiblle.

Why is it necessary to change ports and sim cards ets to make previously very expensive items almost rendless and useless unless people are techie savvy whizz kids?

To be fair to apple, they've only changed the dock interface once in the last 10 years or so. The reasoning behind it is that they can apparently make slimmer phones with the new one. But that adapter is way over priced at 30 quid!
  • Mark in EssexMark in Essex Posts: 3,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    irishguy wrote: »
    To be fair to apple, they've only changed the dock interface once in the last 10 years or so. The reasoning behind it is that they can apparently make slimmer phones with the new one. But that adapter is way over priced at 30 quid!

I'd 2nd this.

They have only done it once but agree that they are over priced.
  • tdensontdenson Posts: 5,773
    Forum Member
    I'd 2nd this.

They have only done it once but agree that they are over priced.

Who buys accessories and cables from any manufacturer, they're bound to be overpriced. £3.99 on eBay will get you what you want.
  • Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tdenson wrote: »
    Who buys accessories and cables from any manufacturer, they're bound to be overpriced. £3.99 on eBay will get you what you want.

Apple put chips in some of them to check they are real and prevent people copying them.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/12/09/21/authentication_chips_discovered_in_teardown_of_apples_new_lightning_connector
  • KieranDSKieranDS Posts: 16,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They had the same adapter for approximately 9 years, compatible with various iPod, iPhone and iPad models through that time. I'm not quite sure how they change it "everytime a new phone is launched".
  • John_PatrickJohn_Patrick Posts: 924
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

A tad over dramatic? No?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Personally I don't know why they don't stick to micro USB like the others....in fact, wasnt there supposed to be an industry wide adaptation of micro USB to help waste of electrical products?

Oh yeah, that's right apple want to screw you for every last penny so didnt take that route so they can charge 30 quid for a charger to the devoted apple iSheep.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_External_Power_Supply
  • RoushRoush Posts: 4,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Personally I don't know why they don't stick to micro USB like the others....in fact, wasnt there supposed to be an industry wide adaptation of micro USB to help waste of electrical products?

Oh yeah, that's right apple want to screw you for every last penny so didnt take that route so they can charge 30 quid for a charger to the devoted apple iSheep.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_External_Power_Supply

Erm, no. If you'd actually read the MoU you'd realise that Apple comply with it.

It's about the interoperability of chargers, not necessarily the cables. The agreement is much more about the electrical specification of the charger.

A proprietary connector on the device is permitted under the agreement providing an adapter is made available to accept a micro-USB cable, which Apple do.
  • Mark in EssexMark in Essex Posts: 3,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I would not risk my phone or house with some dodgy charger from China off Ebay.

There are a lot of things I like to buy cheaper but don't cut costs on anything to do with mains voltages.

I might chance it with something like a USB lead but not the charger.
  • calico_piecalico_pie Posts: 10,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

How many times have Apple changed their ports in the last 10 years?

Clue: less than twice.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Roush wrote: »
    Erm, no. If you'd actually read the MoU you'd realise that Apple comply with it.

It's about the interoperability of chargers, not necessarily the cables. The agreement is much more about the electrical specification of the charger.

A proprietary connector on the device is permitted under the agreement providing an adapter is made available to accept a micro-USB cable, which Apple do.

Ok, I've just re read the wiki page.... That says,

A common EPS must include a cable with a Micro USB-B connector for connecting to a mobile phone. This cable can be either 'captive' (permanently attached to the power supply) or detachable. If detachable, the cable must connect to the power supply via a standard USB-A receptacle / connector

I've not read, or am not inclined to google all day but that's the first article that I found earlier. Maybe its wrong?
  • RoushRoush Posts: 4,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ok, I've just re read the wiki page.... That says,

A common EPS must include a cable with a Micro USB-B connector for connecting to a mobile phone. This cable can be either 'captive' (permanently attached to the power supply) or detachable. If detachable, the cable must connect to the power supply via a standard USB-A receptacle / connector

I've not read, or am not inclined to google all day but that's the first article that I found earlier. Maybe its wrong?

No it's not wrong, but you are. You haven't read it very well (twice, apparently).

Read the paragraph directly underneath the one you quoted. That references the relevant part of the MoU that states that adapters are allowed.
  • clonmultclonmult Posts: 3,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    irishguy wrote: »

Part way through the original connectors use they changed the charging system - as a result, I can only charge my iPhone 4S from one of the connectors on my Alpine head unit.

I do kinda prefer the theory of the lightning connector over USB, it can be connected either way for a starter - likely to be a lot easier to do when you've had a few.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Roush wrote: »
    No it's not wrong, but you are. You haven't read it very well (twice, apparently).

Read the paragraph directly underneath the one you quoted. That references the relevant part of the MoU that states that adapters are allowed.

seems I'm reading it out of context.... Looking at the bigger picture, apple are compliant as they provide the adaptor where another USB to micro USB cable coud be plugged if needed (ie when the iFan sees sense and buys an android phone, lol).
    Forum Member
    Thine Wonk wrote: »
    Apple put chips in some of them to check they are real and prevent people copying them.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/12/09/21/authentication_chips_discovered_in_teardown_of_apples_new_lightning_connector

Well I have half a dozen such cheap cables and they all work for me
    Forum Member
    I would not risk my phone or house with some dodgy charger from China off Ebay.

There are a lot of things I like to buy cheaper but don't cut costs on anything to do with mains voltages.

I might chance it with something like a USB lead but not the charger.

We're not talking about a charger plugged into the mains, we're talking about a piece of wire.
  • chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We're not talking about a charger plugged into the mains, we're talking about a piece of wire.

that same "wire" as you call it is also used to charge the device when connected to the mains.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 995
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As long as they still use the iPhone 5 charger for the 5s then that's great.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Although the reason may be aesthetic, it may also be functional and indicative of a change in standards.... a few years ago, I decided to buy a new laptop, and discovered that the Firewire Connector had changed to reflect a new Technical Standard.
  • KieranDSKieranDS Posts: 16,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TescoJeans wrote: »
    As long as they still use the iPhone 5 charger for the 5s then that's great.

It is.