Options

Hollyoaks - Carmel Flashbacks

dwswhsdwswhs Posts: 70
Forum Member
So I saw Carmel's funeral last night and was really surprised that they used flashbacks. Despite it being sad I was really happy to see all those moments from her and her family again. It also showed how long she'd been a part of the show too and showing those moments (the funny ones, Tina etc) really helped make the funeral so much better. I wouldn't like to seem them used all the time but do you think that flashbacks should be used more often when it comes to departures or special scenes/episodes?

Comments

• Options
    Kay_PriceKay_Price Posts: 420
    Forum Member
    I think it worked with Carmel because she was a much loved character. She was my fave McQueen by far so I'm glad they did this for her.

It would be over kill if they did it with every departure, but with the special ones (if there are any left) it would be good.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17
    Forum Member
    That was a nice touch, the flashbacks, I would like to have seen more from the funeral tho was a bit underwhelming
  • Options
    craig_25craig_25 Posts: 2,990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That was a nice touch, the flashbacks, I would like to have seen more from the funeral tho was a bit underwhelming

I think underwhelming is an understatement! Hollyoaks have long been criticised for the way they deal with aftermath, but this is a disgrace!

Having lost a sibling, in his 20's, I can assure you that the family would be utterly devastated. I remember my mother not leaving the house in over a week, and being totally inconsolable for months. It may be Mercedes 'way of dealing with it' but to be swanning around, planning her escape, drinking champers and spewing venom whilst the rest of her family are preoccupied about who stole some old ring ON THE DAY OF THE FUNERAL?! It actually infuriated me that as an audience we were subjected this insensitivity and farce.

It reinforces to me, that Hollyoaks cannot be taken seriously as a drama, the funeral evoked no feeling whatsoever from me, just anger. I feel that Carmel deserved better than what she got, even the cheap MDF coffin had a shit paint job! A young girl, known by the entire community, a member of the most notorious family in Hollyoaks, dies in horrendous circumstances, yet the only people at the funeral (known by the viewers) were her family?!?!

I'm insulted that the TPTB expect us to swallow such crap!
  • Options
    Cal_Scream2Cal_Scream2 Posts: 6,733
    Forum Member
    craig_25 wrote: »
    I think underwhelming is an understatement! Hollyoaks have long been criticised for the way they deal with aftermath, but this is a disgrace!

Having lost a sibling, in his 20's, I can assure you that the family would be utterly devastated. I remember my mother not leaving the house in over a week, and being totally inconsolable for months. It may be Mercedes 'way of dealing with it' but to be swanning around, planning her escape, drinking champers and spewing venom whilst the rest of her family are preoccupied about who stole some old ring ON THE DAY OF THE FUNERAL?! It actually infuriated me that as an audience we were subjected this insensitivity and farce.

It reinforces to me, that Hollyoaks cannot be taken seriously as a drama, the funeral evoked no feeling whatsoever from me, just anger. I feel that Carmel deserved better than what she got, even the cheap MDF coffin had a shit paint job! A young girl, known by the entire community, a member of the most notorious family in Hollyoaks, dies in horrendous circumstances, yet the only people at the funeral (known by the viewers) were her family?!?!

Agree with all of this, and need to ad another disgusting point: we're expected to not think Jacqui and Michaela exist at this point, we don't know if they've even been told their beloved sister has died (and Michaela is her full sister) and none of them showed up for the funeral, - I find it out of character for both of them and it's utterly ridiculous neither have been mentioned in the aftermath. Normally we get an excuse (usually ridiculous - ala Hannah's shingles when Rhys died) of why a departed family member can't make the funeral.
  • Options
    ofthenightofthenight Posts: 1,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    craig_25 wrote: »

No soaps do the aftermath of someone's death correctly considering most families would be grieving for weeks/ months. It would be boring and feel dragged out if they had a family grieve for that long and most people would loose interest.

Soaps aren't real life! They are an exaggerated version of real life.
  • Options
    Colonel_JasperColonel_Jasper Posts: 1,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Craig has said it all!👏👏👍

Didn't save the episode as the funeral was so shit. The only people who attended were the McQueens and a bunch of random extras. You expect me to believe that nobody else in the village would attend? Bullcrap! She died in a bad way but surprise surprise people are acting like they don't care.

Just felt so cheap and tacky. No appearance or word from Jacqui and Michaela either which gives the impression that they haven't been told. Couldn't take it seriously at all! What a load of rubbish! It's shit like this is why I'm not going to bother with it anymore.

It's like the Lomaxes all over again. They just don't give a toss about Carmel.
  • Options
    Cal_Scream2Cal_Scream2 Posts: 6,733
    Forum Member
    Myra seemed more bothered when she found out John Paul had been raped than when Carmel died.
  • Options
    vkmaxvkmax Posts: 3,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I too have lost siblings very young and it effected me for years BUT it is a soap and nobody is going to tune in to a month of episodes of people curled up in a ball crying and doing nothing else. It has to keep the story moving and it has - every McQueen scene since the crash has been about Carmel or spun from a reaction of her death.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Myra seemed more bothered when she found out John Paul had been raped than when Carmel died.

Some parents do pretend nothing has happened only to have a breakdown later on down the line. We saw Myra in denial at the hospital.
  • Options
    CherryRoseCherryRose Posts: 13,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought the flashbacks was a nice touch, Home and Away and Neighbours used to do the same.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ofthenight wrote: »
    No soaps do the aftermath of someone's death correctly considering most families would be grieving for weeks/ months. It would be boring and feel dragged out if they had a family grieve for that long and most people would loose interest.

Soaps aren't real life! They are an exaggerated version of real life.

I'm sorry but this is inexcusable. You can't just grieve for 5 minutes and move on. Just because it's an exaggerated version, doesn't mean that some realism has to be thrown out of the window. Is it really too much to ask for? Considering Myra has lost another child who has gone before her time. Nobody said that we should see them crying 24/7, but at least see their behaviour and world change without Carmel being around. They can all grieve in different ways without making it drag on.

And if Mercedes is really dead immediately after they lost Carmel, then it's just taking the piss.
  • Options
    craig_25craig_25 Posts: 2,990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    vkmax wrote: »
    I too have lost siblings very young and it effected me for years BUT it is a soap and nobody is going to tune in to a month of episodes of people curled up in a ball crying and doing nothing else. It has to keep the story moving and it has - every McQueen scene since the crash has been about Carmel or spun from a reaction of her death.

I appreciate that things have to move on, and perhaps I take it too seriously but I just expected some outpouring of grief from SOMEONE, Myra has now lost 2 daughters in terrible circumstances, even for her to just breakdown and show some real emotion would have placated me.

Perhaps my expectations are too high, but I am so glad that Jacqui was not brought back to take part in that farcical funeral. She was by far the best McQueen and since her exit, I feel that the family has fallen to pieces. They are a shell of their former selves IMO.
  • Options
    ofthenightofthenight Posts: 1,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sorry but this is inexcusable. You can't just grieve for 5 minutes and move on. Just because it's an exaggerated version, doesn't mean that some realism has to be thrown out of the window. Is it really too much to ask for? Considering Myra has lost another child who has gone before her time. Nobody said that we should see them crying 24/7, but at least see their behaviour and world change without Carmel being around. They can all grieve in different ways without making it drag on.

And if Mercedes is really dead immediately after they lost Carmel, then it's just taking the piss.

Soaps aren't the write shows to be watching if you want realism surrounding death.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ofthenight wrote: »
    Soaps aren't the write shows to be watching if you want realism surrounding death.

So there should be no decent amount of mourning when it comes to a character dying? Again, not asking for constant despreasion and mourning but hat doesn't mean 5-10 of crying is okay either. There has to be a good balance. I don't buy when people act like nothing has happened. The whole village should have at least paid their respects. It's just cheap.