Mrs Brown's Boys

1131415161719»

Comments

• jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    doe_a_deer wrote: »
    Say that it's your opinion then. Back it up with some evidence or reasoning. Don't state it as a fact when it is in fact an opinion.

Revision to my previous post :

I did, twice.
    jsmith99 wrote: »
    That's fine; form an opinion, post it, pass on by. That's what I do with bloody awful programmes like little britain, come fly with me, big school or derek. ..................
    I don't think any of those programmes are 'bloody awful' are they?
    jsmith99 wrote: »
    They are, in my opinion.......................
  • doe_a_deerdoe_a_deer Posts: 2,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Actually it's number of viewers. Just thought I'd mention that as you're so well informed ;-)

Is it?

Why is 'amount of viewers' not correct? I hate incorrect use of English so I apologise if I've used a phrase there which is wrong.
  • doe_a_deerdoe_a_deer Posts: 2,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But you've never watched the entire series to know if it wears thin. As far as I can tell you've watched one episode and an out of context 4 minute clip and based your entire opinion on that.

Time and time and time again.

I've seen a few clips of Geordie Shores on various shows here and that. From that I conclude it to be absolute mind numbing bollocks aimed at the absolute lowest common denominator. Therefore I do not watch it and certainly don't feel the need to comment ad nauseum on its thread.

But I'm sure everyone on here will also spare a thought for unfortunate you when you're watching it religiously each week.

The humour of a man dressed as an old woman, swearing and acting vulgar wears thin after about 30 seconds - if that - so there would be no need to watch an entire series to establish that. I've watched one full episode and several little snippets. I can't really win - if I had watched more people would be saying 'why do you keep watching if you don't like it?'

I've given my analysis of it which matches any review I've seen of any other episodes. That means I'm fairly confident that the episodes I haven't seen are in the same vein as the ones I have. If I am incorrect please feel free to explain why or point me in the direction of an episode/clip which may show something positive or different about the show which I have missed.

I'm a massive comedy fan and normally give comedies several chances as sometimes we don't 'get' a comedy on first viewing. That's why I keep going back every few months and watching clips of this show with an open mind - to see if there's something I'm missing. I'm happy to be proved wrong here and would love to find out I'm missing out on a comedy gem with 23 great episodes for me to catch up on. Everything I've seen myself and read about the show suggests otherwise though.
  • SuperAPJSuperAPJ Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The clip was around 4-minutes long and did indeed revolve around the premise that Mrs Brown had eaten a curry the night before and was farting and running to the toilet a lot.[...] the more adult outcome of the glue/air freshener swap which occurs here is that Mrs Brown's friend ends up with her head glued face down between Mrs Brown's legs, begging Mrs Brown not to fart

I quite enjoy the naff show but even I thought that scene was pathetic.
  • EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That may in fact be bogus or misleading information. Brendan said in an interview only on Monday or Tuesday that he may well do another series for the BBC.
  • Yoshi FanYoshi Fan Posts: 13,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SuperAPJ wrote: »
    I quite enjoy the naff show but even I thought that scene was pathetic.

Yeah I have to agree it was far from the show's finest moment, even by MBB standards.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The humour of a man dressed as an old woman, swearing and acting vulgar wears thin after about 30 seconds - if that - so there would be no need to watch an entire series to establish that. I've watched one full episode and several little snippets. I can't really win - if I had watched more people would be saying 'why do you keep watching if you don't like it?'

I've given my analysis of it which matches any review I've seen of any other episodes. That means I'm fairly confident that the episodes I haven't seen are in the same vein as the ones I have. If I am incorrect please feel free to explain why or point me in the direction of an episode/clip which may show something positive or different about the show which I have missed.

I'm a massive comedy fan and normally give comedies several chances as sometimes we don't 'get' a comedy on first viewing. That's why I keep going back every few months and watching clips of this show with an open mind - to see if there's something I'm missing. I'm happy to be proved wrong here and would love to find out I'm missing out on a comedy gem with 23 great episodes for me to catch up on. Everything I've seen myself and read about the show suggests otherwise though.

You keep mentioning the vulgarity or coarseness of Mrs Brown but there is a lot more to her than that. Certainly she uses the F word a lot, but much of the show centres on her one liners and putdowns of the other characters and there is a fair amount of visual slapstick humour in every episode that contains no vulgarity at all ie. Mrs Brown being accidentally tasered by a stun gun or falling from the top of her Christmas tree etc
  • steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I understand that if you like a show it must be difficult to hear it criticised by others but there has to be a sense of realism and unbiased thought when analysing a show, whether you like the show or not.

It's not difficult but your constant criticism is frankly weird, fine say you don't like it but to keep coming back again and again and arguing it.

This thread is being spoiled as no one can now make a comment about the show without you constantly giving your negative.

We know you don't like it.
  • hudsondogletshudsondoglets Posts: 40
    Forum Member
    Is it?

Why is 'amount of viewers' not correct? I hate incorrect use of English so I apologise if I've used a phrase there which is wrong.

Amount - items counted in bulk; number - items counted individually. The amount of time it took the small number of people to cross the bridge was surprising :-)
  • MRSgotobedMRSgotobed Posts: 3,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    elnombre wrote: »
    This show is a stark reminder that we live in a country which once found Mr Blobby hysterical.

Not me-although I went to see MBB Da Movie twice.

I like it, it's just daftness and old fashioned.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    steveh31 wrote: »

This may be a misunderstanding or misleading. Brendan was asked at the start of the week whether reports saying there would not be a fourth series were true and he replied he was leaning heavily towards making another series for the BBC.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Confirmation from Brendan himself today that the TV series is most certainly not at an end :

http://www.u.tv/entertainment/Brendan-OCarroll-chats-Mrs-Browns-Boys/7d165146-384f-4611-aa6f-c1cc56088358

He told ITV's This Morning today that rumours of the show's demise were based on a misunderstanding of an interview his son Danny ('Buster' in the series) gave and that he has every intention of making new episodes.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tonight's Buster centred episode was very funny, especially his Korean speaking alarm system :)
  • NicoleRichNicoleRich Posts: 2,107
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Much better episode than xmas one
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NicoleRich wrote: »
    Much better episode than xmas one

That seems to be the same every single year. The New Year episode is always funnier than the Christmas one.
  • Jason100Jason100 Posts: 17,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mum had the second half of the Christmas special on this evening. Now, I've always said I've not found this show funny but shock horror! I genuinely laughed at a bit of the show today!
  • Penfolds_placePenfolds_place Posts: 865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I liked both specials a lot. I know it gets a hard time off some people, but I like the silly humour. The cast all seem really close (I know a lot are family) and that shines through on screen. When you have had a hard day sometimes it's nice to just switch your brain off for a while. Sometimes I want to watch BBC four and learn something and sometimes I just want to watch a show with a few knob gags and slapstick :).
  • Funk YouFunk You Posts: 6,864
    Forum Member
    Ive had a busy 2014 so dipped in and out, mainly I have enjoyed the show and how stupid it is! :D its written well. I like the randomness of it plus they leave in the mistakes and the messing around that they do so it shows they dont take themselves seriously. Maybe Im alone in thinking this (my views on here never are that popular lol) but this is why I like Mrs Browns Boys because its outragous, off the wall and different. Its like one of your whacky mates who is always making you laugh :D
  • performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Last year I thought it was getting a little tired (and the movie was a bit crap) but these specials have been decent, so I hope they carry on! :)
  • steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://www.express.co.uk/news/showbiz/549809/Mrs-Brown-s-Boys-Christmas-special-five-years

The BBC has signed up for Mrs Brown Christmas specials until 2020.

After the fantastic two this year I am glad this is happening, I hope that if it does start to lose it's charm that Brendan will say no if he needs to.
  • notinnotin Posts: 1,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mrs Browns ....is and will be one of those momentous TV shows whether u like it or not.....u got to give it to them they have a good thing going....I love it, none of my family do, so I am a secret pleasure victim....my TV Xmas highlights in this order.....last tango in Halifax, Stella, Mrs Browns, Dr who.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    steveh31 wrote: »
    http://www.express.co.uk/news/showbiz/549809/Mrs-Brown-s-Boys-Christmas-special-five-years

The BBC has signed up for Mrs Brown Christmas specials until 2020.

After the fantastic two this year I am glad this is happening, I hope that if it does start to lose it's charm that Brendan will say no if he needs to.

That's great news and Brendan has strongly hinted that he intends to make regular episodes (ie. a fourth series) as well.