Problems with Pixelation in the London Area

Hi all,

I've been a reasonably happy TalkTalk TV (ex Tiscali and Homechoice!) for many years now.

I've been experiencing very heavy pixelation over the last 4 days now on DSL channels such as sky one and sky sports. According to tech support this is due to a problems with one of the servers at a South London exchange and its affecting many customers in London.

Are any of you guys suffering aswell?

Cheers

Ash

Comments

• parthenaparthena Posts: 2,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi, Ash, I'm Homechoice>Tiscali>TalkTalk too :) No pixellation in SW16 - but I didn't use it much in the period you're interested in.

parthena
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 15
    Forum Member
    Hi. I am also a Homechoice, Tiscali, TalkTalk customer. I live in North London (NW5) and have been having really annoying pixellation for the last week or two. I have mainly been watching the World Cup on BBC1 and ITV and it happens on both of those.

It gets alot worse if I am using the internet at the same time as watching TV to the extent that I have been turning off my laptop to watch TV and turning the Tiscali box off to use the internet.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 121
    Forum Member
    @psychicdave
    Do you have an (indoor) aerial attached to your tiscali box ?
    If you do have an aerail then BBC1 & ITV will come via that (in london) & it's probably local intererence / alignment.
    If it's on eg sky sports (a channel not of freeview ie not via the aerial) its something wrong along the tiscali box / line.

PS had no pixilation problem @ sw6
    Forum Member
    @logan

No we don't have an aerial on the roof so we just rely on DSL for all the channels. It is one of reasons we have stuck with Homechoice/Tiscali/TalkTalk for so long because we don't want to shell out a couple of hundred quid to get an aerial put up.

Otherwise I would be happy just with Freeview (I don't really watch any of the Sky channels) and we'd find a better provider for our broadband.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My friend in W9 has been having problems too. ( Fortunately he can get a Freeview signal from the back of his flat so I got him a very long coaxial extension which he has trailed thru to the TV in the lounge :eek: )

He got an engineer in, who changed the router and set-top box and told him that he had 5gig broadband and that 3.5gig of that was for the TV so only 1.5 was available for internet... I can't get my head around it - why problems now, after trouble-free simultaneous TV and internet for several years :confused:

I reckon that was boloney and a waste of a router and set-top box and engineer's callout :eek:

To cap it all, my friend's PC has just died but he thought the TV problems had resolved prior to that - anyone else still having problems?

parthena
    Forum Member
    I have done some speed tests and it turns out I get about 4.5 Mbps with the set top box switched off and around 1.5 Mbps with it switched on. It seems slightly ridiculous that the TV is eating up 3 Mbps especially as in my Homechoice days I only had a 2 Mbps package and both TV and internet were fine working together!

Oh, and still having some pixellation problems although not enough to stop me seeing all of Germanys goals flying in :cry:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My friend's got his new PC set up and has downloaded merrily with no detriment to the TV pic, which has gone back to normal. Nothing to do with the new PC of course.

parthena