Options

Detectorists

Comments

• Options
    BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,553
    Forum Member
    lindenlea wrote: »
    The DVD arrived today. :D

I've only indulged myself so far by watching the behind-the-scenes feature (the only extra apart from photo gallery and subtitles). It runs about 25 minutes and has on location interviews with several of the cast and also the producer. Snippets which have stuck with me include locations being at Framlingham and Orford in Suffolk, and MC showing, with genuine delight, a musket ball and buckle he'd unearthed.

I sneaked a look at the start of episode one, and the sound is really good - seems better than the broadcast version. I think the sound, photography and the music really add to an already wonderful series.

I finally got mine last week as a present from my son and just watched the behind the scene features. I loved every minute of that as well.

Suffolk and the surrounding areas are so beautiful. I should visit there more as it is not far from me.

BIB That brought tears to my eyes :blush: Such a genuine young man.
  • Options
    chuffnobblerchuffnobbler Posts: 10,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Did anyone else spot that Detectorists won Best Scripted Comedy at the Baftas? Also, DS is suggesting the second series may get a promotion and move off BBC4.

All good news.

:)
  • Options
    VetinariVetinari Posts: 3,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    striing wrote: »
    Why does it need to 'move off' BBC4? Everyone has access to it these days.

I think that they consider programmes on BBC1/2 have higher visibility and will therefore be more likely to get a bigger audience.

I'm pretty sure that a lot of people consider BBC4 too 'highbrow' and don't even bother to look to see what's showing.

Also, as BBC1/2 are more watched, trailers for the programme are more likely to be seen, there.
  • Options
    iaindbiaindb Posts: 13,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    striing wrote: »
    Yes I saw. It made me want to watch it again but I could only find the first and last episodes online.

Why does it need to 'move off' BBC4? Everyone has access to it these days.

Not sure it would get many more viewers on BBC2 than on BBC4.

But if they care to move it to primetime BBC1 that would be fine by me. Let's put the BBC's best comedies on the main channel.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Did anyone else spot that Detectorists won Best Scripted Comedy at the Baftas? Also, DS is suggesting the second series may get a promotion and move off BBC4.

All good news.

:)

I was so pleased for Mackenzie Crook. Well deserved.

I cannot wait for the second series.
  • Options
    mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    iaindb wrote: »
    Not sure it would get many more viewers on BBC2 than on BBC4.

But if they care to move it to primetime BBC1 that would be fine by me. Let's put the BBC's best comedies on the main channel.

If it moved to BBC One it would end up with Mrs Brown guest staring and a studio audience laughing in all the wrong places.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Cannot wait .....

Series 2 of The Detectorists. Yet still being shown on BBC4 ?

http://www.comedy.co.uk/guide/tv/detectorists/special/series2/

Thursday 16th July: Filming has started on the second series of Detectorists.

The seven new episodes (a series and Christmas special) are being filmed in Suffolk, Essex and London across the next few weeks.

Detectorists will continue to follow the lives of Andy (Mackenzie Crook) and Lance (Toby Jones), the two friends who share a passion for metal detecting, scouring the fields
    of the English countryside for something that will change their lives forever.

Series 2 starts a whole year on from the multi award-winning first series. Lance is lovelorn after the departure of his ex-wife, but just maybe he is about to surprise everybody with a new relationship...

Meanwhile, Andy and his wife Becky (Rachael Stirling) are now proud parents, facing all the responsibilities that brings, but despite qualifying as an archaeologist, Andy is still mostly unemployed and their shared hopes for the future look further off than ever.

The BBC says: "In this hotly anticipated second series there are new loves, new challenges, new and old enemies, but always the same dream of finding a piece of Saxon gold in the corner of an Essex field."

Mackenzie Crook, who writes, directs and stars in Detectorists says: "To be back in Suffolk filming in the glorious English countryside for a second summer is more than I could have hoped for. I'm thrilled that people warmed to the first series of Detectorists and I can't wait to show them the next installment."

Adam Tandy, the show's producer, adds: "From the reaction to the first series we discovered that Detectorists is treasured as much by its audience as the team that makes it, and I know the new series will continue to delight its many fans. It's great to be back on location with such a talented cast and crew."

Executive Producer Kristian Smith comments: "Andy and Lance already feel like two old friends, and we can't wait to welcome them, and all of the other beautifully eccentric characters, back to BBC Four. The prodigious Mr Crook has done it again; we have six brand new episodes full of the same wit, charm and captivating storytelling, that we saw in Series 1. Audiences will also be treated to an extra helping, with a wonderful Christmas Special."

Series 2 Detectorists will be shown on BBC Four in late 2015.
  • Options
    mustard99mustard99 Posts: 2,248
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fabulous news. An absolute gem of a series.
  • Options
    NaturalDancerNaturalDancer Posts: 5,152
    Forum Member
    Good news :)
  • Options
    dosanjh1dosanjh1 Posts: 8,727
    Forum Member
    I think Detecterists will go down as one of the great BBC sitcoms and join the pantheon.
  • Options
    NobbyspilesNobbyspiles Posts: 6,067
    Forum Member
    Brilliant series, seemed to be overlooked by people I know, encouraged them to catch it when repeated, unfortunately it hasn't been so far :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Excellent news.
  • Options
    farmer bobfarmer bob Posts: 27,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks BellaRosa.
    Looking forward to the 2nd series.
  • Options
    pumpkinlattes33pumpkinlattes33 Posts: 8,326
    Forum Member
    I really liked the series, but I don't like Becky at all! I don't think she is a bully like some others have said here, I just think she's a really unlikeable character. She is bitchy, miserable and sarcastic (in an annoying way). Also, she doesn't suit well with Andy at all.

She is definitely the weak point of the series for me. I don't know whether we are supposed to like her or not, but I get the feeling that we are.
  • Options
    Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gatehouse wrote: »
    Even Gatehouse has to have down-time ;-). The idea of him relaxing and feeling all warm inside watching The Detectorists just makes him seem even more menacing somehow, though!

Indeed! :D

I am so very glad that this cracking little gem of a series is returning soon.

The BBC can waste all the money it likes on 'celebrity' dross but true quality will always shine through.
  • Options
    charliesayscharliesays Posts: 1,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When some folk say there's no genuinely great comedy on TV these days, this is one of the shows that gets completely overlooked.

Superb blend of laugh out loud and heart warming that makes one happy to be alive for the 30 minutes it's on.
  • Options
    chuffnobblerchuffnobbler Posts: 10,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thank you for this great news! A Christmas Detectorists, as well as a new series! I am so happy to read this! The first series was the TV highlight of 2014 and I have dished out several copies of the DVD to people as presents. :D
  • Options
    jabegyjabegy Posts: 6,201
    Forum Member
    When some folk say there's no genuinely great comedy on TV these days, this is one of the shows that gets completely overlooked.

Superb blend of laugh out loud and heart warming that makes one happy to be alive for the 30 minutes it's on.

Yes, it's a fabulous programme, I love it. I hope they do move it over to either 1 or 2, it needs a wider audience.
  • Options
    Ian CleverlyIan Cleverly Posts: 10,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Digiguide has repeats of Series 1 starting 1st October at 22:30

So, if you'd like to 'nudge' someone towards a programme you like.......
  • Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I wonder if "Simon and Garfunkel" will appear in the second series.
  • Options
    VetinariVetinari Posts: 3,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Verence wrote: »
    I wonder if "Simon and Garfunkel" will appear in the second series.

I hope so.

A couple of somewhat comic hate (well, strongly dislike) figures help add depth.

Really pleased we're getting a second series of this,

In a way, I'm glad it's staying on BBC4, because if it became a big success on 1/2 I've no doubt that MK would be pressured into producing a series a year - probably with some more 'obvious' comic touches, and the gentle humour would be lost.
  • Options
    5hane5hane Posts: 2,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    piggypug wrote: »
    I really liked the series, but I don't like Becky at all! I don't think she is a bully like some others have said here, I just think she's a really unlikeable character. She is bitchy, miserable and sarcastic (in an annoying way). Also, she doesn't suit well with Andy at all.

She is definitely the weak point of the series for me. I don't know whether we are supposed to like her or not, but I get the feeling that we are.

She's attractive though so that balances things out a bit
  • Options
    Forum Member

Ooo I shall put the in my diary even tho I am wearing out my dvd by constant watching :blush:

That mean the 2nd series will be on soon :o I hope.

I am intrigued about how a baby will change the formula of the show.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Its Sept 24th at 11 PM You are a week and half an hour out :)
  • Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I know this is largely about Andy and Lance but I'd like to see more about the other members of the club in the second series