Problems with Folders

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 296
Forum Member
Noticed a funny this morning. I was housekeeping my files and emptying some folders, leaving the folders in tact. I then noticed that the empty folders appear on the radio tab. I went to file manager in radio and all folders are displayed but listed as empty. I deleted the "real" empty ones and they are in fact deleted from the video tab as well. Has anyone else seen this??

Woolfynorm.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've not seen it myself (haven't looked for it) but have read about it on this forum. It makes a sort of sense insofar as anything to do with the HDR's UI makes sense. A video folder is a folder with video files in it, similarly a radio folder. An empty folder is neither one thing nor another, but is potentially either. Once it gets something put in it, it will become that sort of folder.

To avoid the confusion this causes, when the folder was created Humax should have put a hidden file in it to identify what sort of folder it is. That they didn't do this (or something that would have the same effect) is another example of the UI not being properly thought through.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find the whole folders thing irritating in any case. I would much rather choose when to set up my own folders, and set up what goes in them, rather than having the system do it for me whether I want it or not.

For example, I tend to watch an episode of a series at some point before the next one is broadcast rather than stacking them, so I'm forever deleting the episiode I've just watched and it's enclosing folder, just to keep the Media list clean with enough room to see other shows on page one.

I realise others will like to keep whole series or groups of episodes together in one folder, but why not give the user the choice, rather than forcing the decision on them?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 299
    Forum Member
    katrinap wrote: »
    I find the whole folders thing irritating in any case. I would much rather choose when to set up my own folders, and set up what goes in them, rather than having the system do it for me whether I want it or not.

For example, I tend to watch an episode of a series at some point before the next one is broadcast rather than stacking them, so I'm forever deleting the episiode I've just watched and it's enclosing folder, just to keep the Media list clean with enough room to see other shows on page one.

I realise others will like to keep whole series or groups of episodes together in one folder, but why not give the user the choice, rather than forcing the decision on them?

Likewise, I think it's just an unnecessary layer of complication. IMO it should be possible to disable the use of folders completely.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Katrina, I'm 100% with you on this.

I only have 2 series, which I haven't started watching yet, Damages and Law & Order UK, for which Folders are useful (and maybe "Films" which I made myself).

I do exactly the same thing as you in watching and deleting before the next showing, so Folders are a hindrance in the Media List for these, and get deleted so I can see the wood for the trees.

User option for Folder/No Folder on setting up the Timer, and maybe Selectable Destination for things like Films etc., would be so helpful.

Rgds.

Les.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Same here and it take lots of clicks to go into the file manager to delete each folder, its really annoying, Id rather they got rid of them all together than force us to go through 8-10 steps to delete each folder.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    woolfynorm wrote: »
    Noticed a funny this morning. I was housekeeping my files and emptying some folders, leaving the folders in tact. I then noticed that the empty folders appear on the radio tab. I went to file manager in radio and all folders are displayed but listed as empty. I deleted the "real" empty ones and they are in fact deleted from the video tab as well. Has anyone else seen this??

Woolfynorm.

Woolf, sorry to be nosy but wondering why you are always up at 4am??