The Gadget Show: World Tour - Series 17 (April 2012)

VirginMediaPhilVirginMediaPhil Posts: 2,021
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Welcome to the new discussion thread for the 17th series of The Gadget Show, starting on Monday 23rd April at 8.00pm on Channel 5 and for the first time in high definition on Channel 5 HD. This is the successor to my thread for series 16 (August 2011) of The Gadget Show.

Whilst HD would normally be a big change for a show, it's comparatively small to the other changes being made this series. As you can see from the title, this series is subtitled 'World Tour' and will see the presenters travel around the world "in pursuit of the latest and best future tech". Ortis Deley, Suzi Perry and Jon Bentley have all left the show and the new series will only be prestened by Jason Bradbury and Pollyanna Woodward.

I'm sure you'll agree that this is a major overhaul and probably won't be well received by long-time viewers. Certainly the loss of Jon Bentley will be a major disappointment for those of us who enjoyed the more in-depth features of the show, although to be honest, I dropped off watching the first few episodes of the last series and completely forget about the show afterwards. Last series the objective was to focus more on tech and less on challenges, obviously that hasn't worked. A major relaunch is an indication of loss of interest and viewers, and maybe a show past its peak. Of course, it could just be Dirty Des trying to get the show off the air on purpose, but who knows.

Feel free to discuss what may be one of the last series of The Gadget Show, or what may be the grand return of The Gadget Show to our screens.

Past threads:
Series 16 (August 2011)

Comments

• BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,672
    Forum Member
    Watch the first promo here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=931dLitQX54

Looking forward to the new series. Hopefully they can get the show back on track with this revamp. :)
  • carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,695
    Forum Member
    I'm sure you'll agree that this is a major overhaul and probably won't be well received by long-time viewers.
    It will be well received by those of us who accept it for what it is, or has to be, rather than their "that's not how I would do it" ideals

Personally I'm really looking forward to it.
    Last series the objective was to focus more on tech and less on challenges, obviously that hasn't worked.
    Well seeing as that's what a lot of people in here actually wanted, and it still didn't work, that says a lot for their ideas ;):p:D
  • mikwmikw Posts: 48,715
    Forum Member
    It will be well received by those of us who accept it for what it is, or has to be, rather than their "that's not how I would do it" ideals

Personally I'm really looking forward to it.

Well seeing as that's what a lot of people in here actually wanted, and it still didn't work, that says a lot for their ideas ;):p:D

I'm looking forward to it too, heck, Polly's in it!

I'll miss Jon though, he was a TV Legend!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't believe they got rid of Ortis and Suzi they were good. I saw Suzi on the wright stuff and she seemed miffed and being axed.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sure you'll agree that this is a major overhaul and probably won't be well received by long-time viewers

As carl said, it'll be well received by those of us who see it as an entertainment show about gadgets rather than a full on click-style tech review show.

I've also seen the trailer and it does look fairly decent but I still think it could have been possible to reboot and revamp the show and still keep all five presenters.

Jason's enthusiasm will always be infectious so that will probably carry a lot of the episodes and obviously I won't object too much if Polly appears on a random beach somewhere in not very much, but I just hope they don't exploit that fact.

If the reboot fails, will they pull it all together or will they go back to the drawing board i wonder ?
  • XIVXIV Posts: 21,565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The problem was it had too many episodes per year which meant there were quite a few duff episodes. I think it should have Suzi and Jason rather than Polly and Jason.
  • RandysbackRandysback Posts: 3,404
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I`m personally sick of seeing the presenters swanning around having action adventures instead of showin us gadgets!!

Can they not review a camera without going parachuting in Las Vegas :mad:
  • MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm pretty sure i saw an advert for it tonight which said it's showing at 9pm and not the usual 8pm slot. It's gotta be better than Gadget Geeks that's for sure! That was absolute pants!
  • GlomperGlomper Posts: 3,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apart from the appalling Dan Simmons who can't pwonounce his R's, Click is a much better show than either of the alleged "Gadget" shows.

And many tech websites are much, much better.

Please add your favs here.
  • ThrasymachusThrasymachus Posts: 2,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can they visit outer Siberia and get lost there please

Especially Jason
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well i guess the tradition of complaining about the show but still watching it will continue into the reboot :)
  • petelypetely Posts: 2,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ... complaining about the show but still watching
    Which, you'd think would tell the programme makers how desperate people are for a good gadget show, that they're prepared to put up with all the bad points about the only show in town. :cry:

The basic problem seems to be that whoever creates and/or signs off on shows has a preconception about the sort of people who would watch a gadget show. As usual with the inhabitants of "ivory towers", they're completely out of touch, but too arrogant to acknowledge there could be alternatives.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    petely wrote: »
    Which, you'd think would tell the programme makers how desperate people are for a good gadget show, that they're prepared to put up with all the bad points about the only show in town. :cry:

Or that people just like to complain :)

But seriously though, a 'true' tech show wouldn't get a prime time slot on one of the major 5 networks. It just wouldn't happen.

That's why they have to create a light hearted entertainment show about gadgets, rather than a proper tech review show.
  • VirginMediaPhilVirginMediaPhil Posts: 2,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My statement that longtime viewers would not enjoy the change was directed at the majority at large who will be upset at the loss of presenters and different features. That obviously doesn't mean I meant everybody who has watched it.

I personally am disappointed at the loss of Jon Bentley as his in depth features were very interesting.

Look out for the 360 degree trailer on Monday at 9pm by downloading the smartphone app.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But seriously though, a 'true' tech show wouldn't get a prime time slot on one of the major 5 networks. It just wouldn't happen.
    I can see that a show packed full of gigglebytes and terra-whotsits would turn off a lot of people, but that would just be because the show was done wrong. Everyone has gadgets, EVERYONE, from a 10 year old child to an 80 year old granny. If programme makers can't find a way to make a programme that's inclusive across the whole population then the failure is theirs.
    That's why they have to create a light hearted entertainment show about gadgets, rather than a proper tech review show.
    Yes, that does seem to be their only solution - which just demonstrates the limited imagination these "creative" people have. Whether it's TGS or GG, they all only seem capable of coming up with one, single, dull, worn-out and cliched approach. No wonder people complain so vociferously about it.

As it is, the only people who seem able to give a sensible, informative run-down of "gadgets": what they can do and how people can use them is QVC. If I was a "creative" on a gadget show I'd be utterly embarrassed that a shopping channel was more competent at conveying the message than one of the 5 major networks - or Sky.
  • Matt35Matt35 Posts: 30,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The fact that polly is still in it is only reason im watching tbh. Pretty sure though viewing figures will be even lower than before which doesn`t bode well for its future.
  • brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Everyone has gadgets, EVERYONE, from a 10 year old child to an 80 year old granny.
    But not the same gadgets. There aren't many gadgets that are interesting to a majority. Cameras and phones probably qualify, but that's not enough variety. So you have to cover many gadgets categories that are only interesting to a minority of people. The kind of in-depth look that would satisfy that minority will bore the majority.

Personally with these shows I am content to fast-forward past the bits that don't interest me. It doesn't mean the programme has failed when that happens.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    brangdon wrote: »
    The kind of in-depth look that would satisfy that minority will bore the majority

Exactly !
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    brangdon wrote: »
    But not the same gadgets. There aren't many gadgets that are interesting to a majority. Cameras and phones probably qualify, but that's not enough variety. So you have to cover many gadgets categories that are only interesting to a minority of people. The kind of in-depth look that would satisfy that minority will bore the majority.

Personally with these shows I am content to fast-forward past the bits that don't interest me. It doesn't mean the programme has failed when that happens.
    What I was trying (unsuccessfully) to convey was that we all have a propensity for gadgets (except for the few who won't have anything to do with them). That's the universal I wanted to get across, not the specific model.

On that basis, there are many, many of things that everybody does, and therefore lots of "gadgety" solutions have been developed. For example, take brushing your teeth. Almost everyone has (or had :cry: teeth), so it's reasonable to assume that a piece on dental gadgets would be broadly interesting to a lot of the viewers. So it could review the various tech. such as electric toothbrushes, water picks (ref: http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_2_9?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=water+pick+for+teeth&sprefix=water+pic%2Caps%2C251) and other bits 'n' bobs. Maybe looking at which ones are best for kids and maybe make people aware of options they hadn't realised were available.

I have no doubt that a properly motivated researcher could go through his/her whole day, noting down the possible gadgets available for every aspect of their daily life: from alarm clocks to wake up to, through to sleep aids at the other end of the day. if they couldn't find enough gadgets that would be relevant to everyone from that little exercise to fill an entire series, they're just not trying.

The key would be to break out from the narrow band of techy stuff for blokish leisure activities, which seems to be the main thrust of TGS and GG (e.g. GG last episode - underwater cameras? really does ANYONE care?) and refocus on ordinary people and the things that could make their lives better, easier or more interesting.

Gadgets aren't just for 15-30 y/o boys.
  • BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,672
    Forum Member
    MrSuper wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure i saw an advert for it tonight which said it's showing at 9pm and not the usual 8pm slot. It's gotta be better than Gadget Geeks that's for sure! That was absolute pants!
    Just to clarify, this Monday at 9pm they are showing a promo which you can experience in 360 degrees using the dedicated app and holding your phone/tablet to the TV as it is broadcast. This is apparently a world first and something we might see more of.

The new series launches a week later on Monday 23rd April, at the usual time of 8pm! :)
  • StaunchyStaunchy Posts: 10,904
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I caught an advert for it today; sounded like the same old shouty-shouty a'whoopin' and a'hollerin' Topgadget Gear.
  • carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,695
    Forum Member
    Glomper wrote: »
    Apart from the appalling Dan Simmons who can't pwonounce his R's...
    You have issues with people with speech impediments that they obviously can't help? Wow! What an awful person you are :(

The basic problem seems to be that whoever creates and/or signs off on shows has a preconception about the sort of people who would watch a gadget show. As usual with the inhabitants of "ivory towers", they're completely out of touch, but too arrogant to acknowledge there could be alternatives.
    Not at all. As I have said, it's about getting as many people to watch as possible and that simply will not happen with the kind of programme you want.

To prove the point, why do you think "The Gadget Geeks" used pretty-much the same format?

Glomper wrote: »
    Apart from the appalling Dan Simmons who can't pwonounce his R's...
    You have issues with people with speech impediments that they obviously can't help? Wow! What an awful person you are :(

Not at all. As I (and Jason!) have said, it's about getting as many people to watch as possible and that simply will not happen with the kind of programme you want.

To prove the point, why do you think "The Gadget Geeks" used pretty-much the same format?

I can see that a show packed full of gigglebytes and terra-whotsits would turn off a lot of people, but that would just be because the show was done wrong.
    So how would you make it interesting?
    Yes, that does seem to be their only solution - which just demonstrates the limited imagination these "creative" people have. Whether it's TGS or GG, they all only seem capable of coming up with one, single, dull, worn-out and cliched approach. No wonder people complain so vociferously about it.
    Outside of this forum, how many people actually complain though? It's a moot point because no-one knows.

However, if both TGS and GG have had to stick to very similar formats, I don't think it's down to "limited imagination" as much as it is "getting as many viewers as possible for your advertisers."
    As it is, the only people who seem able to give a sensible, informative run-down of "gadgets": what they can do and how people can use them is QVC.
    Of course, QVC has to do that because they're trying to actually sell the products. Sorry. Worst comparison ever :rolleyes:
  • brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For example, take brushing your teeth. Almost everyone has (or had :cry: teeth), so it's reasonable to assume that a piece on dental gadgets would be broadly interesting to a lot of the viewers.
    The Gadget Show has featured dental gadgets several times that I can remember. So they are doing pretty much what you want already.

(They don't do it more often because their appeal is not actually very broad. Most people don't want bluetooth in their toothbrush.)
    Maybe looking at which ones are best for kids and maybe make people aware of options they hadn't realised were available.
    I believe that's the intent of many of their reviews and challenges. Instead of looking at several more or less equally priced items, they tend to feature one from each price point. It's not so much about discovering which is best, as providing insight into the variety available.
    I have no doubt that a properly motivated researcher could go through his/her whole day, noting down the possible gadgets available for every aspect of their daily life: from alarm clocks to wake up to, through to sleep aids at the other end of the day.
    Alarm clocks and sleep aids have been featured. Again, they are already doing what you suggest.
  • George7George7 Posts: 840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Big mistake just keeping the guy that doesn't wear 'big-boy' pants and the eye-candy girl. They should have returned to just the original three - especially Jon as his reviews were the best and quite amusing.

As mentioned previously, I can't see this program lasting much longer either...
  • VirginMediaPhilVirginMediaPhil Posts: 2,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone trying out that 360 ad tonight? Seems a bit of a gimmick.