I have had a Eureka moment regarding the UK entrant

thengp12thengp12 Posts: 5,670
Forum Member
Why not have the "BBC Sound of" winner represent us. I was listening to Years and Years's Desire and King and thought that this is the sort of thing we should send. BBC SO winners have included Ellie Goulding, Adele, Sam Smith, 50 Cent, Keane, Jessie J, Corinne Bailey Ray, Little Boots and Mika. The talent among those is huge

Comments

• Mrs ChecksMrs Checks Posts: 8,371
    Forum Member
    Well, our 2014 entrant Molly was recruited via The BBC Introducing network, as were all possible UK entrants that year. Whilst she wasn't successful on the night, most of us agreed the approach was a step in the right direction and were unhappy to see it not be repeated this year.

To be honest though, the big problem is the attitude of the record companies, otherwise obviously we'd already have great entries if they were on board.

I'm pretty sure the acts who win 'The Sound Of...' are already signed and primed to release, it's just a PR exercise and I very much doubt their record companies would want them to be associated with Eurovision, especially when on the cusp of 'big things'.
  • HitstasticHitstastic Posts: 8,627
    Forum Member
    It will never work because UK based record companies don't want to go near Eurovision because of the stigma the BBC have created with their poor attitude towards the whole contest.

Why the UK are even part of the big 5 I really don't know. Anything just to get over 9 million viewers on a Saturday night.

It would be fantastic if the BBC used Eurovision as a way to launch the career of a world class act - someone who could go on to even crack the difficult American market.

It's never going to happen so the UK, as far as Eurovision is concerned, will continue to be a joke country.
  • mysty211mysty211 Posts: 4,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The big difference is other countries take Eurovision more seriously. Mans was saying on this morning that swedish producers specifically encourage their singers to do the swedish eurovision selection competition , they can chart through taking part give them exposure in Sweden , they take it seriously.

If UK start doing something like that they'd do better . Years & Years would be perfect eurovision. Even if they don't win they'd be popular around Europe and score high.
  • Whitehouse95Whitehouse95 Posts: 2,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mysty211 wrote: »
    The big difference is other countries take Eurovision more seriously. Mans was saying on this morning that swedish producers specifically encourage their singers to do the swedish eurovision selection competition , they can chart through taking part give them exposure in Sweden , they take it seriously.

If UK start doing something like that they'd do better . Years & Years would be perfect eurovision. Even if they don't win they'd be popular around Europe and score high.

Well the French don't take it seriously, in fact they care less about the contest than the UK does. Sweden takes Eurovision even more seriously than most European countries though.

In many ways we have more in common with the Scandinavians (Eurosceptic, constitutional monarchies that see themselves as apart from the rest of Europe), but Eurovision is one area where we are similar to the French. ;-)
  • brbbrb Posts: 27,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I imagine not using BBC Introducing had nothign to do with Guy. Molly flopped, and I can't imagine BBC Introducing wanting to be associated with that. If Molly was a success, I reckon BBC Introducing would have been throwing artists at us.

re France: last year, they had some decent entries in their National Final. If Ma Liberté won, it would have went straight into my top 10. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zcWHEMd-KQ
  • Mrs ChecksMrs Checks Posts: 8,371
    Forum Member
    brb wrote: »
    I imagine not using BBC Introducing had nothign to do with Guy. Molly flopped, and I can't imagine BBC Introducing wanting to be associated with that. If Molly was a success, I reckon BBC Introducing would have been throwing artists at us.
    ]

Yeah I definitely agree with you. What a shame.
  • mysty211mysty211 Posts: 4,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The bbc introducing seemed like it was going in the right direction if they kept that up they might find someone who does well if they keep it up. It's like they give up each year if the person doesn't do good enough. They could use bbc introducing people vote for the artists .