Options

Unlimited Immigration - Why Not??

GnobeGnobe Posts: 462
Forum Member
Does anyone here think immigration should be uncapped?? I mean why not??

It's clear to me that a large amount of British people support unrestricted immgration, and a definite majority support lots of immigration outright, the tory plans of capping appear unpopular with most British people it appears.

Why can't we just live and where we want in the world dammit? We're all from the same race after all?

Tear down the borders and let humanity live together.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40,102
    Forum Member
    If that was the case then Western Europe and America would be packed to the point where they couldn't cope - energy, water, resources etc - and other parts of the world would decline.
  • Options
    sallycamebacksallycameback Posts: 2,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gnobe wrote: »

It's clear to me that a large amount of British people support unrestricted immgration, and a definite majority support lots of immigration outright, the tory plans of capping appear unpopular with most British people it appears.

Why can't we just live and where we want in the world dammit? We're all from the same race after all?

Idealistic pap.
  • Options
    artnadaartnada Posts: 10,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Idealistic pap.
    +1 for this
  • Options
    M30M30 Posts: 936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

:rolleyes:
  • Options
    SkyknightSkyknight Posts: 1,348
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Where are the immigrants going to live though? If we build more houses, schools, hospitals, shops then soon we won't have anywhere left to grow our food.
  • Options
    Lucem FerreLucem Ferre Posts: 8,224
    Forum Member
    It's clear to me that a large amount of British people support unrestricted immgration

What makes you think that to be the case? I don't know anyone who truly supports completely unrestricted immigration.

The UK is a small island with finite resources, it is simply not possible to allow everyone who may wish to live here to come and live here.

The NHS would collapse within a few years, for example.

Although, of course, when/if global warming really kicks in as predicted, we may actually have little choice.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What would happen to our benefits system if all the scroungers in the world came here. There wouldn't be enough for our own people.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If Britain became so overcrowded with no jobs, a collapsed NHS, not enough money to pay benefits, no manufacturing, not enough room so we all started falling off the edges - why on earth would anybody want to come and live here anyway?

A lot of it about perception and even if nobody was allowed to migrate into the UK from midnight tonight people would still believe that the majority of jobs in this country have been taken off British workers by immigrants.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    vidalia wrote: »
    If Britain became so overcrowded with no jobs, a collapsed NHS, not enough money to pay benefits, no manufacturing, not enough room so we all started falling off the edges - why on earth would anybody want to come and live here anyway?

Ah, so you allow just enough immigration to make the country worse than anywhere people may wish to emigrate from?

Sounds great.
  • Options
    tysonstormtysonstorm Posts: 24,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    artnada wrote: »
    +1 for this

+2 :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah, so you allow just enough immigration to make the country worse than anywhere people may wish to emigrate from?

Sounds great.

I think if you look closely enough you will find that that is actually not what I said.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    vidalia wrote: »
    I think if you look closely enough you will find that that is actually not what I said.

Well, no, but that's the implication... unlimited/unrestricted immigration would mean that the country would reach a point where it was viewed as a place not worth emigrating to any longer.

Tht's actually what would happen in reality, although, of course, it would be halted before that eventuality.

As in, er, how it is now.
  • Options
    welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I tell you what the UK will do it if every other country in the world does it
  • Options
    Forum Member
    welwynrose wrote: »
    I tell you what the UK will do it if every other country in the world does it

Indeed, that would be the only way it could ever work (not that it will ever happen).

It makes me laugh when people suggest this country is tough on immigration. Try and emigrate to the States, or even Australia, and you'll soon see how comparatively easy it is for people to emigrate here.
  • Options
    Hankers R DSHankers R DS Posts: 590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I'll be happy when you go back to primary school.:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm just trying to help deliver peace to the world.:rolleyes:

If that's the case, I'd seriously re-think your unlimited/unrestricted immigration idea!
  • Options
    AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In an ideal world, yes. Unfortunately back in the real world people need somewhere to live. They need services such as power, education, health, transport, water, telecommunications. Those things need careful planning and take time to provision.

If we're talking about a steady trickle in both directions then there's no problem. Unfortunately we're not. At present the UK is already straining to support its existing population. We have water supplies failing to keep pace in some areas, power supply with a forecast shortfall over the next decade, congested transport, overstretched NHS, etc. etc.

It doesn't matter who it is trying to get into the country (or even if the problem were a sudden spike in domestic births). The bottom line is that the UK is full. We have to impose restrictions to stem the flow.
  • Options
    2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member
    If we had unlimited space and money, then yes, but we don't so ,no.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, no, but that's the implication... unlimited/unrestricted immigration would mean that the country would reach a point where it was viewed as a place not worth emigrating to any longer.

Tht's actually what would happen in reality, although, of course, it would be halted before that eventuality.

As in, er, how it is now.

So tell me, what percentage of the labour force are British, what percentage are EU immigrants and what percentage are non EU immigrants?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    becuse this Island would probably sink!
  • Options
    OvalteenieOvalteenie Posts: 24,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Remember immigration is one side of the same coin as emigration. Britain has a strong history of emigration, as well as immigration. There are millions of ex-UK residents who have settled in other countries all across the world. I don't see how immigration can be discussed without emigration.

Let's just ban all international movement of people. Everyone should stay in the country they were born :cool:
  • Options
    raidon04raidon04 Posts: 3,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To keep the thread impartial:

Arguments for open borders

Advocates for open borders argue for open borders on grounds such as the following:
    1. Preventing freedom of movement is a moral violation of human rights and discriminates on the basis of nationality. As all human beings are equal and such discrimination causes immense human suffering it is morally untenable.
    2. Nation-states and closed borders are a relatively recent development in human history, and serve primarily to protect the interests of ruling elites.
    3. In an era when capital can move freely across all borders, restricting the movement of labor is both unfair to workers and also an impediment to the most efficient possible operation of the market. In an ideal free market, both capital and labor are free to move anywhere.
    4. Since human beings migrate regardless of border policies, closed borders and barriers simply force them to migrate under more difficult conditions, resulting in increased injuries and deaths during migration.
    5. Increased mobility of people can reduce racism and ethnic tension and produce vibrant new forms of cultural hybridity.
    6. Opening borders allows people to more easily move back and forth between their place of birth and new opportunities, which means people are no longer required to be separated for extremely long periods of time from their families and social networks.
    7. Opening borders would eliminate the wasteful, extremely costly, and ultimately ineffective expense of policing borders.

Also advocates of open borders point out:
    1. That open borders are logically unrelated to security and public safety. For example, how do open borders between EU countries or US states threaten security and public safety?
    2. That immigration operates according to the laws of supply and demand of jobs, wages, and opportunity, and that human beings have always found ways to migrate to places with more jobs, higher wages, and opportunity, regardless of borders.
    3. The idea of 'protecting domestic culture' is naive, since it assumes a (fictional) unitary domestic culture; essentialist, since it imagines culture as a fixed 'thing' rather than a living and always changing set of practices; and at worst, racist, since it fears racial, ethnic, and national 'others.'

American bioethicist Jacob M. Appel has argued that "treating human beings differently, simply because they were born on the opposite side of a national boundary," is inherently unethical. According to Appel, such "birthrights" are only defensible if they serve "useful and meaningful social purposes" (such as inheritance rights, which encourage mothers and fathers to work and save for their children), but the "birthright of nationality" does not do so.
    It has been proposed that borders between the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) countries be opened.
    http://www.opposingviews.com/i/the-ethical-case-for-an-open-immigration-policy
    http://reason.com/archives/2006/04/16/open-the-borders
    http://www.mrrena.com/misc/carens_borders.php
  • Options
    tysonstormtysonstorm Posts: 24,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If we had unlimited immigration then most of the third-world would flock to the UK. I wonder why? and it's not for the scenery. ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40,102
    Forum Member
    At the end of the day (I actually hate that phrase!), we're still tribes. The only difference is now that we are more accepting of other tribes, but not as much as to let them have their free ways with our tribal belongings.

It's quite obvious that in the modern world we could never have free borders open to anyone. The only reason Europe has free borders with it's sister nations is because we're all, almost, on the same playing field anyway.
    tysonstorm wrote: »
    If we had unlimited immigration then most of the third-world would flock to the UK. I wonder why? and it's not for the scenery. ;)

Benefits, of that's what you're suggesting, wouldn't be available to just anyone and I'd pretty much guarantee they'd be even more restricted if borders were opened fully.

The nations I'd think would suffer from immigration would be the USA, UK, France and Spain in the West, and then the more developed Eastern Nations such as Japan and South Korea.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tysonstorm wrote: »

You are assuming we would still have the same benefits system as well as unlimited immigration. Perhaps that would have to change as a result. Things are never static.