New Superman Film :: Man of Steel

Comments

• ListentomeListentome Posts: 9,804
    Forum Member
    Joel's dad wrote: »
    How old was Reeves in superman IV?

About 35 I think. I think the difference is he was established in the role by then. Its like Roger Moore carrying on as Bond even at 60.:D To start a new series of movies they would probably want an actor in his 20s who can grow in the role and appeal to kids.
  • MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,421
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If they reboot it then they need to start from scratch and that means no Routh and no one associated with Singer's Superman. Jon Hamm would be perfect but the role will go to a younger and somewhat unknown or not that famous an actor. Look at Batman, who'd have thought Christian Bale would play Bruce Wayne! He also wasn't that well known with the masses. If you think along those lines that's the kind of actor Nolan/Snyder will cast.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 203
    Forum Member
    Rumours of Anna Hathaway for Lois Lane. Also rumours that the film will start in South Africa with Clark "findind his way"
  • MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,421
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another rumour is Matthew Goode as Clark Kent/Superman and he has previously worked with Snyder before on Watchmen.

Personally, nah! Don't like him.
  • pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like the scene at the end of Kill Bill 2 where Bill explains how Superman is a unique superhero as he has to pretend to be a normal human, whereas most others pretend to be superhuman, and his alter-ego of Clark Kent is his critique of the human race as pathetic, nerdy bunch who can't defend themselves.

Dunno why, I just always thought that was a very clever scene and I suppose it is quite true.
  • Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,729
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mistereli wrote: »
    Shame about Brandon Routh not coming back. He said he wanted too.

I thought Routh was right for the role.

He does have that 'Superman' look & I thought Superman Returns was a decent film, even if it is a tad bizarre that they never explained how Clark Kent & Kal El both disappeared at the same time & both returned simultaneously after 5 years & nobody in Smallville.Metropolis etc twigged that something was awry.:D
  • MotthusMotthus Posts: 7,280
    Forum Member
    Does anyone else find it strange that the new Superman film is going to be released in December next year?I thought it would have been a summer blockbuster but I guess The Dark Knight Rises stopped that happening!
  • kdog2010kdog2010 Posts: 255
    Forum Member
  • Joel's dadJoel's dad Posts: 4,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't care when it's released as long as it's soon lol

but yeah Batman obviously took priority and it would of been silly for WB to release both at the same time..
    Forum Member
    Diane Lane has been cast as Martha Kent with rumours of Kevin Costner as Jonathan Kent
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    Old superman Christopher Reeve is on again today in Superman lll channel 5( i think)

Superman ll was on yesterday..I do love those films, but a new superman just isn't the same :(
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,112
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Superman 3 annoyed me no end (but not as much as 4), due to him taking a bit of a kicking from the Supercomputer at the end. He should have beaten it easily.

I did love the 'Red'' kryptonite split junkyard fight though. That was pure comics all the way.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    he combs his hair different as well tho :p

They could get another actor to play Clark Kent. Someone black perhaps;)
  • Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,729
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gulftastic wrote: »
    Superman 3 annoyed me no end (but not as much as 4), due to him taking a bit of a kicking from the Supercomputer at the end. He should have beaten it easily.

I did love the 'Red'' kryptonite split junkyard fight though. That was pure comics all the way.

Superman 4 was a total embarrassment to the franchise.

It's amazing that 9 years separates Superman from Superman 4, yet the special effects in the first Superman film are far superior to those in the fourth film.:eek:
    Forum Member
    Unfortunatly that is a problem that this new Superman film will have is that people will compare it to the Christopher Reeve Superman film
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Superman 4 was a total embarrassment to the franchise.

It's amazing that 9 years separates Superman from Superman 4, yet the special effects in the first Superman film are far superior to those in the fourth film.:eek:

I know! It seems to be the case with other franchises as well.

Star Trek V and Indiana Jones And The Last Crusade (to a lesser extent) come to mind.

Star Trek V is flat out embarrassing, and everytime I see Last Crusade I'm amazed at how bad the blue screen is in the cockpit sequence, compared to Raiders which has not one bad blue screen shot in the whole picture and was made eight years earlier.

Oh, and let's not forget 1999's The Mummy. Going from the first film to the second film over merely a few years, it's literally like the budget was cut in half the drop off in effects is so noticeable. Remember the CGI legendary disaster that was "The Scorpion King?" :eek:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We went from this.... to THIS.
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,112
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The Matrix suffered a drop in the ffects standards too. Whilst the second one had some jaw droppingly brilliant sequences (the Freeway chase, the fight on the stairs), the battle between Neo and the multiple Smiths was terrible. Neo looked like he was made of platicine.
  • belfastkidbelfastkid Posts: 2,911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Speaking of Superman films, why can none of the films get to the fact that Superman is too strong to be botherd by missles, by supercomputers etc etc. I know a certain amount of care has to be taken to make the films still enjoyable but for god sake superman could sneeze a solar system away, he should never be getting tossed around by missles hitting him.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I generally think of the Reeve Superman films like this:

Superman - Great, a classic!

Superman II - Good, very uneven, but still within the line of what I consider to be of a quality work. I certainly wouldn't consider it today to be close to the quality of the original however.

Superman III - Outside of the junkyard fight, Reeve's physique and the expensive special effects, it's woefully terrible, and Richard Pryor is god awful, painfully miscast, and not funny at all.

Superman IV - Abysmal. It's a disgrace to Superman in ways the misguided production of III couldn't even begin to top.
  • satman17satman17 Posts: 2,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So is Superman so poor channel 5 are not showing it?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Would they dare show Superman IV in HD? :eek:

Just looking at the film with DVD resolution is enough to cause one's self to be shocked.

Whilst Channel 5 are being brought up, I've said it before, I'll say it again, somebody at that network needs a good clout round the ear for showing the original Superman in such poor quality.

When are they going to learn it's not the 1980s anymore?

No HD, 20/30 year old print, in mono and it wasn't even in genuine 16:9 widescreen zoomed from the original anamorphic ratio, just full screen cropped. Pathetic.

Superman II was taken from a far more recent HD master and therefore looked much better, but even for that they used an absolutely hideous mono mix. The 5.1 surround mix on the Special Edition DVD blows that dated audio mix away.

Thank goodness for Blu-ray and Sky HD.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 96
    Forum Member
    Kevin Costner is Jonathan Kent!

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=30229

Pretty good choice IMO:)
    Forum Member
    Yeah it's been rumoured for a while but glad to see it confirmed as it's good casting!
  • Joel's dadJoel's dad Posts: 4,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well they are releasing all the movies on bluray in July so yea superman 4 is going HD baby!!!!

Kevin Kostner as JC, that is one coole piece of casting IMO!!!