ITV ratings crisis. What is going wrong?

Comments

• SamthefootballSamthefootball Posts: 4,420
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SamuelW wrote: »
    Only 0.8milloin for Itv's quite new current affairs show The Agenda yesterday.

People say Itv dont show current affairs stuff like good old days. Thats true, they dont show as much. But when they do, hardly anybody watches. Is this because their reputation is bad?

:rolleyes: you fail to mention that there was another program on bbc 1 that was getting 5m at the same time. a lot of people are in bed at 10:35 and i think nearly getting 1m is very good.
  • Mr SirsMr Sirs Posts: 4,826
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :rolleyes: you fail to mention that there was another program on bbc 1 that was getting 5m at the same time. a lot of people are in bed at 10:35 and i think nearly getting 1m is very good.

As I said in an earlier post you are wasting your time flagging credible points to this poster - he ignores them as part of his anti ITV agenda.
  • SamuelWSamuelW Posts: 8,447
    Forum Member
    Mr Sirs wrote: »
    As I said in an earlier post you are wasting your time flagging credible points to this poster - he ignores them as part of his anti ITV agenda.
    The Agenda got 1m last week when Panorama wasnt on. Is this good enough for a current affairs show? Question Time on BBC One gets 2.5million viewers.
  • SamthefootballSamthefootball Posts: 4,420
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I dont know if you follow ratings, but Itv have been in a ratings crisis this Autumn with lots of their shows rating very badly.

The X Factor has lost 2million viewers since last year.

New Dramas are launching with only 2-4million viewers instead of 5-7million they should be getting.

Most returning dramas are ratings worse than before. Medical series Monroe just got 3.5m last Monday, a very bad audience.

Champions League football has been getting just 3.5m for Man Utd matches even though in past they were ratings bankers.

Take Me Out got only 3million yesterday, not even close to 4.5m it used to get.

Red or Black for 3million last 7 weeks, terrible ratings for such an expensive show.

Emmerdale is getting less than 7million, very poor considering it has a massive week coming up in just over 7 days time.

Coronation Street spin offs only getting 2.5million, embarrassing for a show which used to get huge ratings for anything associated with it.

Why do you think viewers have switched off watching Itv last few months? Itv are in a ratings crisis at the moment and advertise agencies must be very concerned by Itv struggling to get the mass audiences which the BBC does or even Itv used to be capable of. What is going wrong?

you fail mention that monroe is up against one of the most popular tv series in the uk. Take me out is another program thats up against a very popular tv show. The Champions league group stages never rate as well (When it gets to the knockout stages they go up) And its not just ITV soaps that are lower. Eastenders and Hollyoaks have all had a bad year to.

Also you say the BBC gets mass audiences What about The Andrew Marr show or the flowerpot gang and it makes me laugh you say how bad X Factor is doing because when the Voice was getting even lower ratings you kept saying how well it was doing :D
  • leicslad45leicslad45 Posts: 299
    Forum Member
    This hard for me to say but if ITV wasnt around i wouldnt miss it. That is because i rarely watch it. There is nothing worth watching. It used to be my favourite channel but that is not the case now.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Agenda got 1m last week when Panorama wasnt on. Is this good enough for a current affairs show? Question Time on BBC One gets 2.5million viewers.

Now let's hear your excuses for the Call The Midwife repeats being scapped after a couple of weeks because of terrible ratings, or the poor ratings of the new Me & Mrs Jones on a Friday night , or the flop that is Waterloo Road, or the disappointment that is Hunted.....

You have an anti ITV agenda and it is one big YAWN :yawn: You must be taking notes from Robbie Sykes, because your posts are as one sided as his. :sleep:
    Forum Member
    It's good to see this thread.

ITV lost loyalty from many viewers when it ceased to be truly regional. At the same time, it lost advertising revenue and decided to rely more and more - too much - on core, middle expense programming - mainly soaps, talent shows, some football etc. Unfortunately, but not surprisingly, this decision alienated many casual viewers, so that, even when there is, say, a decent drama on at 9pm, a lot of people don't watch because they're out of the habit of watching ITV. Now, the previously reliable core audience is feeling that the programme mix on offer is stale.

Personally, I see the way forward starting with cutting back a little on soap episodes, rejigging the schedule slightly, getting rid of regional programmes and looking to embrace local television. Just creating a more varied programme mix is the way to go in the long term; it always was.

I suppose it looks very much like a return to the structure of past ITV schedules, but, in the end, it's the quality of new programmes that counts.

5.45 News and Weather
    6.15 Local News and Weather
    6.30 Emmerdale
    7.30 Coronation Street
    10.00 News at Ten; Weather
    10.30 Local News and Weather

Will ITV take the risk, which includes additional costs, or are we going to see its slow death?
    I agree that there is too much soaps on ITV in primetime. 90 minutes on monday thursday and friday is far too much. ITV seem to think that this is what the viewer wants. But.. is it?
  • Andy23Andy23 Posts: 15,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Only 0.8milloin for Itv's quite new current affairs show The Agenda yesterday.

People say Itv dont show current affairs stuff like good old days. Thats true, they dont show as much. But when they do, hardly anybody watches. Is this because their reputation is bad?

What was on BBC1 at the same time?

It wasn't a special programme about Jimmy Savile was it?

What rating are you expecting for a political debate? 10 million?
    Forum Member
    Andy23 wrote: »
    What was on BBC1 at the same time?

It wasn't a special programme about Jimmy Savile was it?

What rating are you expecting for a political debate? 10 million?
    I think 2million viewers would be good for a political debate. Question Time gets 2.5million.
  • SouthCitySouthCity Posts: 12,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Now let's hear your excuses for the Call The Midwife repeats being scapped after a couple of weeks because of terrible ratings, or the poor ratings of the new Me & Mrs Jones on a Friday night , or the flop that is Waterloo Road, or the disappointment that is Hunted.....

You haven't mentioned "Andrew Marr's History of the World" which is being hammered in the ratings by Downton Abbey every Sunday night. Is 2.3 million an acceptable audience figure for prime time BBC1 when ITV1 is getting 10.6 million in that slot?

Yes there are some poor quality programmes on ITV but let's not pretend that everything is rosy over on BBC1. The Marr programme is undoubtedly one of the turkeys of the autumn season.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    leicslad45 wrote: »
    I agree that there is too much soaps on ITV in primetime. 90 minutes on monday thursday and friday is far too much. ITV seem to think that this is what the viewer wants. But.. is it?

I think there's too many soaps, but the viewer does want this - why? Just take a look at the ratings for Corrie and Emmerdale .
    I think 2million viewers would be good for a political debate. Question Time gets 2.5million.

Talk about avoiding the question just posed to you. :rolleyes:
    SouthCity wrote: »
    You haven't mentioned "Andrew Marr's History of the World" which is being hammered in the ratings by Downton Abbey every Sunday night. Is 2.3 million an acceptable audience figure for prime time BBC1 when ITV1 is getting 10.6 million in that slot?

Yes there are some poor quality programmes on ITV but let's not pretend that everything is rosy over on BBC1. The Marr programme is undoubtedly one of the turkeys of the autumn season.

I presume your post was to SamuelW, as you will realise from my previous posts that I agree with you! :)
    Forum Member
    Mr Sirs- BBC One has had their fair share of misfires this Autumn like Andrew Marr, Hunted and Mrs Jones. But not as many flops as Itv1. I can give examples of all the Itv1 flops if you'd like me to?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mr Sirs- BBC One has had their fair share of misfires this Autumn like Andrew Marr, Hunted and Mrs Jones. But not as many flops as Itv1. I can give examples of all the Itv1 flops if you'd like me to?

Not particularly - most of us are already aware of them, and also because you've already bored me to tears with this anti ITV thread. :(
  • suffolkbluesuffolkblue Posts: 4,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ITV sacked the good football commentry team and left us with dire Townsend and co so I don't watch footie on ITV anymore. And most of the stuff is Simon Cowell rubbish which again I don't bother with and it seems most others are doing the same. Shame really ITV used to be great.
  • JordyDJordyD Posts: 4,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ITV sacked the good football commentry team and left us with dire Townsend and co so I don't watch footie on ITV anymore. And most of the stuff is Simon Cowell rubbish which again I don't bother with and it seems most others are doing the same. Shame really ITV used to be great.

Yes, Simon Cowell rubbish, just happens to be two of the highest rated shows on ITV and rubbish red or black, hardly 24/7 thing going on is it?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Don't let your opinion get in the way of the facts - "most of the stuff" - yes, that's right his shows are on every night blah blah... come on! :rolleyes:

JordyD wrote: »
    Yes, Simon Cowell rubbish, just happens to be two of the highest rated shows on ITV and rubbish red or black, hardly 24/7 thing going on is it?

Exactly.
  • RijowhiRijowhi Posts: 1,055
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's good to see this thread.

ITV lost loyalty from many viewers when it ceased to be truly regional. At the same time, it lost advertising revenue and decided to rely more and more - too much - on core, middle expense programming - mainly soaps, talent shows, some football etc. Unfortunately, but not surprisingly, this decision alienated many casual viewers, so that, even when there is, say, a decent drama on at 9pm, a lot of people don't watch because they're out of the habit of watching ITV. Now, the previously reliable core audience is feeling that the programme mix on offer is stale.

Personally, I see the way forward starting with cutting back a little on soap episodes, rejigging the schedule slightly, getting rid of regional programmes and looking to embrace local television. Just creating a more varied programme mix is the way to go in the long term; it always was.

I suppose it looks very much like a return to the structure of past ITV schedules, but, in the end, it's the quality of new programmes that counts.

5.45 News and Weather
    6.15 Local News and Weather
    6.30 Emmerdale
    7.30 Coronation Street
    10.00 News at Ten; Weather
    10.30 Local News and Weather

Will ITV take the risk, which includes additional costs, or are we going to see its slow death?

I don't think having the News even earlier would work so much these days, people (like myself) commute longer to work meaning we get back home later. I feel you're right in saying it's about quality and varied programming though. There are far too Soap episodes on ITV at the moment though. I personally think ITV should reduce Emmerdale and Coronation Street to one episode a weeknight (with no episode on Tuesday due to their Football commitments). Maybe they should look at moving 'The Agenda' and 'Exposure' to earlier times before the 10pm News? As for the Regional News and Programming, I still feel benefits such as an extra Ad break within the 6pm Newshour and an amendment of the current Contract Rights Renewal agreement could help ITV commit to something stronger than the present paltry offering.
  • SentenzaSentenza Posts: 12,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JoLuc wrote: »
    ITV need to dumb down some more to match the IQ of many of today's population.

ITV 2 are on the case I just read that dappy will be having a reality show on there ,if you don;t know who the plank is then keep it that way.
  • VericaciousVericacious Posts: 1,142
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rijowhite wrote: »
    I don't think having the News even earlier would work so much these days, people (like myself) commute longer to work meaning we get back home later. I feel you're right in saying it's about quality and varied programming though. There are far too Soap episodes on ITV at the moment though. I personally think ITV should reduce Emmerdale and Coronation Street to one episode a weeknight (with no episode on Tuesday due to their Football commitments). Maybe they should look at moving 'The Agenda' and 'Exposure' to earlier times before the 10pm News? As for the Regional News and Programming, I still feel benefits such as an extra Ad break within the 6pm Newshour and an amendment of the current Contract Rights Renewal agreement could help ITV commit to something stronger than the present paltry offering.

I would argue that a lot of people still get home by 5.45pm, especially those who don't work in the London area, and that significantly more advertising revenue could be generated by running entertainment in the 6.30pm slot, rather than a news programme (a remnant of ITV's public service commitment).

To me, the basic problem in mainstream television, for about two decades now, has been the poor provision of the most popular, but most expensive, programme types (popular returning drama, situation comedy and light entertainment). It would be a huge risk (which, frankly, isn't going to happen) for ITV to invest in such programmes now, in the hope that ratings would be good enough to attract significant advertising. (If anything like it does happen, it would have to be done incrementally.)

Certainly, though, the BBC isn't going push ITV to try; the BBC has been near-matching ITV's popular programming mix for about a decade and a half, when they should have been setting standards by sticking with a more balanced programme mix. Perhaps the BBC does not wish to be seen to be significantly outperforming ITV, possibly due to the resulting pressure for a reduction in the licence fee that would occur?
    Forum Member
    Quiz show The Chase got 3.3million viewers at 5pm yesterday, a record for the show.

So it's not all bad news for Itv1, this is one of the few shows firing on all cylinders.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Chase - at one time 500k-750k behind Pointless. Now ahead of it.:)

Tonight:- Emm (that farming soap that err.. recently had more viewers than EE) & Corrie to flatten The One Show (that's the cheap magazine show that's on EVERY weekday night), All Star Mr & Mrs only 500k behind Watchdog, DCI Banks to match or poss. beat Michael Palin.

Yes, it's not all bad news for ITV. :p
    Forum Member
    Regarding the upcoming rebranding of ITV. Will there be any significant changes to the schedules. Will there be a shift away from the over reliance of soaps occupying prime time. I know that there are many who watch them. But not everyone does This is my opinion and i may be slapped down for having one but i fear that there will be no change in what ITV shows
    Forum Member
    The rebrand is mainly about the idents and on screen look. A few people have seen Itv's new branding but reviews have been mixed. One person who saw it says:
    While the current branding is not without it's problems, all I can say is wait until you see the new stuff. It's pretty horrendous imo.

Unfortunately I can't say too much about it, but I understand it is being revealed to advertisers and/or investors in November, so would imagine the public reveal is around then as well, with an on-air date of Jan 14 (not sure if that tallies with what others are hearing)?

I have to say I don't see the new branding working well for ITV plc or the re-named ITV (channel). It looks a bit comical, even child-like in my opinion, and dread to think what the likes of Broadcast, Creative Review and Marketing Week will make of it (although I realise that isn't necessarily the intended audience).

But my biggest concern is for news and current affairs programming. The point was made several times at Monday's briefings that the logo doesn't sit well with serious programming like ITV News or Exposure (if you thought ITV News had problems being taken seriously now, just wait for the rebrand).

This is just my take on it though. I'd love a newspaper or magazine like The Guardian or Creative Review to ask somebody like Martin Lambie-Nairn to give his appraisal of it from an expert's point of view. And I can't wait to hear what people here think about it.
  • GeorgeSGeorgeS Posts: 20,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The rebrand is mainly about the idents and on screen look. A few people have seen Itv's new branding but reviews have been mixed. One person who saw it says:

A nameless source. You could be making it up except for the fact that its too well written :D

And btw they can do separate idents to preceed news & serious programming in the same way BBC1 and other channels have done so for years. Go back and ask Mr Anonomous about that!
  • Steve9214Steve9214 Posts: 8,402
    Forum Member
    The Chase - at one time 500k-750k behind Pointless. Now ahead of it.:)

Tonight:- Emm (that farming soap that err.. recently had more viewers than EE) & Corrie to flatten The One Show (that's the cheap magazine show that's on EVERY weekday night), All Star Mr & Mrs only 500k behind Watchdog, DCI Banks to match or poss. beat Michael Palin.

Yes, it's not all bad news for ITV. :p

I would love a strong ITV to compete with BBC so they have to "up" their game, but putting soaps up against the One Show ?? (modern day equivalent of Nationwide)
    Can you imagine the kicking any ITV exec would have gotten in the "old days" from the Bernsteins or Grades for suggesting putting Corrie up against Nationwide in the schedules ??

All Star Mr & Mrs - a celeb version of a '70's regional daytime quiz show (it originally alternated between HTV Wales and Border TV productions), and again, scheduling a primetime quiz show up against the old consumer strand of.....Nationwide !!!

Mind you this hardly shows the BBC bringing in new programes on BBC1 does it !!!

ITV fell down badly when they stopped investing in behind the scenes talent and just started throwing money at presenters. Basically as soon as Carlton got involved.
    Better writers and producers make better shows, not paying Ant & Dec or Vernon Kaye more dosh.