Your favourite GTA games from best to least?

CoolWestiesCoolWesties Posts: 211
Forum Member
i've played all the gta games except those before 3 and i havent yet started on 5.

my order:
san andreas
vice city stories
vice city
gta3
gta4 gay tony
gta4 stories of liberty
gta4
liberty city stories

i will try and approach 5 without skyhigh expectations given the hype surrounding it, and will just try and enjoy the journey.

Comments

• rusty robotrusty robot Posts: 257
    Forum Member
    San Andreas
    Vice City Stories
    Vice City
    GTA: III
    GTA: V
    GTA: IV

San Andreas is still unrivalled in terms of its map design and overall vibe. I still have a PS2 but I rarely play San Andreas any more because the controls feel so bad now.
  • supertalksupertalk Posts: 948
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Of the games I've played

GTAO
    GTA: SA
    GTA V
    GTA: Episodes from Liberty city - TLAD / BOGT
    GTA IV
    GTA III
    GTA

I have separated GTA V sp and GTAO as I find they are completely different entities regardless of the fact that they share the same map. I enjoyed GTA: SA more than V's story mode but still hold the current online mode as my fave GTA experience to date.
  • Vast_GirthVast_Girth Posts: 9,793
    Forum Member
    Vice city
    GTA 5
    GTA 4 Episodes
    GTA 3
    GTA 4
    GTA 1
    GTA 2
    San andreas (worst gta ever by a long shot and the only one i couldn't bring myself to finish)
  • MC_SatanMC_Satan Posts: 26,512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gta v
    Vice City
    San Andreas
    gta 3
    Gta
    Chinatown wars
    Gta London
    Gta iv
    Gta 2
  • DavonatorDavonator Posts: 4,409
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GTA Vice City- Just Nailed its '80s excess' theme with awesome soundtrack and Miami Vice Art Style

GTA V- Only time I have ever bought the same game 3 times (PS3, PS4 & PC)

GTA: San Andreas: Massive scale and so impressive how they managed it all on PS2, I did find CJ a pretty weak lead character though.

GTA 3- Blew my mind back in the day

GTA IV: It's urban only setting was stifling, and there was very little to do once you completed the game.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Went back to vice city with the android port, it's actually a pretty abysmal game in terms of gameplay. Everyone who loves it I advise do not, I repeat do not go back and play this game if you haven't for years.

Sometimes it's an effort just going through a door or getting into a car on the game (I'm using an xbox control here so no touch screen malarky)

I thought the GTA IV world was amazing, obviously not a huge world but the city was brilliant. The story was very very good as well. Gay tony was what the main story should have been in terms of 'fun' stuff to do.

My order.

V
    IV - gay tony and the lost and the dammed make it an amazing overall package
    The original top down game - We had this on the network at school so you could play a huge multiplayer on it.
    III because it was a game changer
    San Andreas
    Vice city
  • Danger CloseDanger Close Posts: 3,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    San Andreas
    Vice City
    V
    LC: Stories tLaD / BoGT
    VC: Stories
    III
    IV
    Liberty City Stories
    II
    I
  • hunter23hunter23 Posts: 3,097
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    san andreas
    gta5
    gay tony
    vice city
    gta3
    gta4
  • Sick BulletSick Bullet Posts: 20,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GTA 5 Just beautiful on PC with my fave characters.
    San Andreas
    Vice City
    GTA 4
    GTA 3
  • jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    erm
    all of them

then
    not being on GTAV enough :D
  • Nolan DeckardNolan Deckard Posts: 889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Vice City
    GTA V/Online
    GTA III
    San Andreas
    GTA IV/Episodes From Liberty City
    GTA
    GTA London
    GTA II
  • Bio MaxBio Max Posts: 2,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GTA 5
    GTA Vice City
    GTA 3
    GTA San Andreas
    GTA
    GTA 4

Not played the second one
  • Hank1234Hank1234 Posts: 3,756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sure the next one will be favourite if they improve on just about everything
  • Wallasey SaintWallasey Saint Posts: 7,621
    Forum Member
    GTA V, nearly completed the game but no where near 100% gold, which i'm not bothered about., although i dislike the BAWSAQ stock exchange, feature it's useless in single player offline mode, as you need to be logged in to use it, & you need to use it for the Lester Crest Assassination missions if you want to make any money, although i dislike the Mountain Lion feature don't think they're are any in California which the setting is based on, hard to do the Hunting as one spawns when you quit Hunting.
    GTA III, although not much to do once the missions are over.
    GTA San Andreas GTA Stories From Liberty City, not played them much.
    GTA IV least favourite of the series got bored after Three Leaf Clover mission & stopped playing it, haven't played GTA IV since, pointless hanging out with other characters, with the characters complaining if you haven't contacted them for a whilst getting in the way of the missions, you can do the same in GTA V but it doesn't get in the way of the missions as it did in GTA IV, & GTA IV i wasn't to bothered by the main story.
  • HotbirdHotbird Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    GTA San Andreas

GTA Online
    GTA 5
    GTA 3
    GTA 1
    GTA 4 Episodes from Liberty City
    GTA Vice City
    GTA 4

San Andreas is easily my favourite GTA game largely due to the circumstances I played it in. My mate and I had gone to my families holiday home and as GTA had just arrived at my mates house the morning we were going he brought it with him (It arrived unexpected 2 days early). Then due to bad weather we started playing the game which turned into a week of drinking and GTA gaming. I doubt any GTA game could live up to the fun of that week.

GTA Online is probably my second favourite GTA game as it takes all the messing around fun GTA offers and allows you to do it with friends. The addition of garages and cars which you could modify for racing made it a much better experience than GTA4 Online.

GTA 3 and GTA 1 are both high on the list due to the wow factor they created when they were released. Neither really stand up to the later versions and if I played all GTA games today and rated them those would be much lower on my list. I dont really get the crazy love for Vice City TBH, while still a great game (All GTA games are) all it really did was polish what GTA3 had done before it.
  • mojobrewmojobrew Posts: 1,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ...although i dislike the Mountain Lion feature don't think they're are any in California which the setting is based on, hard to do the Hunting as one spawns when you quit Hunting.

I assure you there are plenty of Mountain Lions in California
  • cat666cat666 Posts: 2,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Davonator wrote: »
    GTA Vice City- Just Nailed its '80s excess' theme with awesome soundtrack and Miami Vice Art Style

GTA V- Only time I have ever bought the same game 3 times (PS3, PS4 & PC)

GTA: San Andreas: Massive scale and so impressive how they managed it all on PS2, I did find CJ a pretty weak lead character though.

GTA 3- Blew my mind back in the day

GTA IV: It's urban only setting was stifling, and there was very little to do once you completed the game.

I agree with this list, with the only change I may make is with V and SA, but they are tight.

Vice City's only downside is the map is small, but given the tech 10+ years ago it's not surprising. I hope for a return to Vice, still in the 80's but with a bigger city, and some islands to explore.
  • Wallasey SaintWallasey Saint Posts: 7,621
    Forum Member
    mojobrew wrote: »
    I assure you there are plenty of Mountain Lions in California

Looked it up & didn't know they were that widespread.
  • hazydayzhazydayz Posts: 6,909
    Forum Member
    I have a fondness for them all. I remember getting GTA shortly after it came out on the PS1 and people in the game shop talking about it, I also had the Playstation magazine and thought it looked good. No idea that it would ever become as big as it did.

With Vice City I remember a few miles from my house a game shop opened up with some fairly young gamers running it. Even back then this was unusual. The nearest game shops to me were in town. I think the release date was around the same time as my birthday and they had the game for £45 on the PS2 and the price everywhere else was £40 but they had it the weekend before release date so paid the extra £5 for it. I couldn't believe seeing it on the shelf and the guys behind the counter sitting on big bean bags playing it on their TV.

WIth San Andreas I remember being in HMV buying it and that was the first time I seen for myself how big it was because the line was huge and literally everyone in line had a copy. I had never been in a que like that before in any shop where everyone had the same thing and I don't think this was release day, this was the day after so I was surprised. I never did finish it, i got so far and gave up on it.

With GTA 3 I remember it being a big thing with the size of those maps at the time it was released. Everyone had to get it and was a huge leap forward in the games engine.

GTA 4 was the one I spent the most time playing probably because there was a longer gap for me between 4 and 5 where as before that the waiting times were shorter inbetween games and when I got a PS3 I didn't keep the PS2 so it had to be GTA 4. I thought it was very dark and dreary and everything about the setting was like that, I guess it was realistic.
  • JordyDJordyD Posts: 4,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    San Andreas
    Vice City
    V
    IV
    Vice City Stories
    III
    Liberty City Stories
  • Steven88Steven88 Posts: 1,883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ruthus wrote: »
    Went back to vice city with the android port, it's actually a pretty abysmal game in terms of gameplay. Everyone who loves it I advise do not, I repeat do not go back and play this game if you haven't for years.

Sometimes it's an effort just going through a door or getting into a car on the game (I'm using an xbox control here so no touch screen malarky)
    Play it on a proper platform and it's still a great game, i played through the original Xbox version through my 360 and it's still as good as ever. GTA SA just about edges it though.

GTA San Andreas
    GTA V
    GTA Vice City
    GTA IV
    GTA 3
    GTA TBOGT
    GTA TLAD
    GTA 1
    GTA 2
    Vice City Stories
    Liberty City Stories
    I haven't played China Town Wars. and I can't remember much about GTA London.
  • VulpesVulpes Posts: 1,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    San Andreas
    V
    IV

Haven't played any others.
  • celesticelesti Posts: 25,977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Counting the expansions for IV as their own entities:

San Andreas
    GTA V
    GTA III
    Ballad of Gay Tony
    Lost and Damned
    GTA IV
    Vice City
    Chinatown Wars
    GTA 2
    Liberty City Stories
    Grand Theft Auto
    GTA: London 1969
    GTA Advance

Played pretty much everything bar Vice City Stories and London 1961
  • ÆnimaÆnima Posts: 38,548
    Forum Member
    If I go by how I felt when I played them and not how I feel now, it'd probably be:

GTA 3
    GTA Vice City
    GTA San Andreas
    GTA 1
    GTA 2
    GTA 5
    GTA 4

If I went on how I feel now, GTA 5 would be top. I can't imagine playing the older games now after playing 5, but it's like that with a lot of series for me.
  • STEVE 03STEVE 03 Posts: 7,856
    Forum Member
    My favourite GTA games from the one's I've played are:

GTA: San Andreas
    GTA Vice City
    GTA: Liberty City Stories
    GTA V
    GTA: Vice City Stories
    GTA IV
    GTA 3

San Andreas is my favourite so far, loved the missions in this game, along with Vice City which is a very close second :)