Options

Gareth Roberts...

BaileyBigIdiotBaileyBigIdiot Posts: 4,614
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Are you glad that Gareth Roberts is writing an episode for series 5?

If you dont know him he wrote the Shakespeare Code and The Unicorn and the Wasp for Doctor Who already.

I liked the Unicorn and the Wasp it was abit of a farce and was really the last episode of series 4 that was about fun as like it has done every series in new Who it gets darker as you get the the last 5 or 6 episodes.

I found the Shakespeare Code boring but i wasnt a great fan of series 3 it got much stronger from the family of blood two parter.

Comments

• Options
    stcoopstcoop Posts: 3,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What I'm more interested in are what the people who think Moffat is great but hate Chris Chibnall think about him being hired to write not one but two episodes for the next series while the likes of Paul Cornell are nowhere to be seen.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,666
    Forum Member
    I have loved both of Gareth Roberts' episodes for DW and I have loved most of those he did for SJA : I'm not a big fan of the Slitheen but all his episodes with the Trickster were brilliant. So, yes, I'm very glad to know he's still on board.
  • Options
    poppycodpoppycod Posts: 1,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are you glad that Gareth Roberts is writing an episode for series 5?

If you dont know him he wrote the Shakespeare Code and The Unicorn and the Wasp for Doctor Who already.

I liked the Unicorn and the Wasp it was abit of a farce and was really the last episode of series 4 that was about fun as like it has done every series in new Who it gets darker as you get the the last 5 or 6 episodes.

I found the Shakespeare Code boring but i wasnt a great fan of series 3 it got much stronger from the family of blood two parter.

Liked "The Shakespeare Code"

HATED "The Unicorn and the Wasp" - everything that is wrong with modern Dr Who.

Hopefully he will write something with a bit more depth, realism and sense to it this time.
  • Options
    Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm a fan of Gareth's on the whole.

I especially liked The Unicorn and The Wasp - everything that is great about modern Who!

Hopefully he will go on writing exactly how he wants to!
    stcoop wrote: »
    What I'm more interested in are what the people who think Moffat is great but hate Chris Chibnall think about him being hired to write not one but two episodes for the next series while the likes of Paul Cornell are nowhere to be seen.

Chibnall did some great work on Torchwood if you leave aside the dire Day One/Cyberwomen:

Countryside - definitely one of the better and more interesting scripts of series 1

End of Days - didn't quite work, but some deft character touches and a strong ending

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang - Arguably the best opening episode of any Who-related series since it's relaunch

Adrift - great characterisation

Fragments - fantastic script.

Exit Wounds - see above.

As for Cornell, he has only actually written one story for the series so far, and that was an adaptation from a prior series and RTD helped out quite a lot with it. I'd like to see him do more, but I don't see why it would be shocking to anyone he isn't doing a story.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 229
    Forum Member
    poppycod wrote: »

Hopefully he will write something with a bit more depth, realism and sense to it this time.

other way round for me, i hated the shakespeare code just thought it was shite
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

His writing does seem shallow to me aswell.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 64
    Forum Member
    Muttley76 wrote: »
    As for Cornell, he has only actually written one story for the series so far, and that was an adaptation from a prior series and RTD helped out quite a lot with it. I'd like to see him do more, but I don't see why it would be shocking to anyone he isn't doing a story.

Paul Cornell has actually written THREE episodes.

Season 1 - He wrote "Father's Day"

Season 3 - He wrote "Human Nature" & "Family of Blood"
  • Options
    Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    007Fan wrote: »
    Paul Cornell has actually written THREE episodes.

Season 1 - He wrote "Father's Day"

Season 3 - He wrote "Human Nature" & "Family of Blood"

i said he had done one story - human nature/fob is one story, but yeah your right about Fathers Day. I always forget that episode. Funny really, it's not a bad episode but I find it really forgetable. Anyways, point still stands - he isn't a regular writer for who related tv series so why would anyone be shocked he isn't writing for series 5?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Muttley76 wrote: »
    Anyways, point still stands - he isn't a regular writer for who related tv series so why would anyone be shocked he isn't writing for series 5?

Exactly right.

FWIW, I loved HN / FOB but really didn't enjoy Fathers Day which was very familiar in its plot and themes.

I am not sure if there is some wider signficance to stcoop's remark? :confused:
  • Options
    stcoopstcoop Posts: 3,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am not sure if there is some wider signficance to stcoop's remark? :confused:

I could have picked Rob Shearman or any other name. It had nothing to do with the actual question I asked which was how people who like Moffat but dislike Chibnall feel about the former giving him a job writing for the next series.
  • Options
    jtnorthjtnorth Posts: 5,081
    Forum Member
    Apologies if this is in another thread and I can't find it, but where is the list of who is writing for series 5? Thanks very much.
  • Options
    RevengaRevenga Posts: 11,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Unicorn and the Wasp is one of my favourite episodes, but I heard that RTD did a very substantial rewrite.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stcoop wrote: »
    I could have picked Rob Shearman or any other name. It had nothing to do with the actual question I asked which was how people who like Moffat but dislike Chibnall feel about the former giving him a job writing for the next series.

Is this some in-joke?

I don't understand the question really.
    Are you really pro-Moffat or something or anti-Moffat?

Seems as if you are attempting to bait some people though I don't know who. :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jtnorth wrote: »
    Apologies if this is in another thread and I can't find it, but where is the list of who is writing for series 5? Thanks very much.

there isnt a list yet but some of the writers agents and some of the writers them selves have confirmed that they are writing episodes i think there is another thread with the list but i cant rememeber what one sorry.

some of the writers that have been confirmed that i know of are.

of course Steven Moffat
    Gareth Roberts
    Richard Curtis
    Mark Gatiss
    thats all i know so far.
  • Options
    JCRJCR Posts: 24,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jtnorth wrote: »

Not been officially announced yet. Steven Moffat, Mark Gatiss, Gareth Roberts, Richard Curtis, Toby Whithouse and Chris Chibnall (2 episodes) are in though.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 526
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know this is an unpopular view but I wish the production and writing team had been entirely new. The whole of Nu Who so far has felt like fanboys sat at their desks with books on screenwriting, cribbing from Hollywood movies just to prove they really, really are professional writers. A number of Who authors also wrote the old New Adventures paperbacks, audio adventures etc. and they stank, often burdened with corny ideas: "What if the Doctor could be human just for one day?" "What if the Doctor fell in love?" "What if a Cyberman had feelings?" "Wouldn't it be great if the Doctor met Johnny Rotten and joined the Sex Pistols".

Zzzzzzzz
  • Options
    JCRJCR Posts: 24,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know this is an unpopular view but I wish the production and writing team had been entirely new. The whole of Nu Who so far has felt like fanboys sat at their desks with books on screenwriting, cribbing from Hollywood movies just to prove they really, really are professional writers. A number of Who authors also wrote the old New Adventures paperbacks, audio adventures etc. and they stank, often burdened with corny ideas: "What if the Doctor could be human just for one day?" "What if the Doctor fell in love?" "What if a Cyberman had feelings?" "Wouldn't it be great if the Doctor met Johnny Rotten and joined the Sex Pistols".

Zzzzzzzz

I'm not sure it'd matter. Even if they got Lawrence Miles himself in (ha ha), the BBC are unlikely to let anyone deviate from the highly successful RTD formula that's got 'em shed loads of kudos and the UK's number one rated drama series. Series 5 won't be that different to 1-4. Not that that is a bad thing, in my humble opinion.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 526
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JCR wrote: »
    I'm not sure it'd matter. Even if they got Lawrence Miles himself in (ha ha), the BBC are unlikely to let anyone deviate from the highly successful RTD formula that's got 'em shed loads of kudos and the UK's number one rated drama series. Series 5 won't be that different to 1-4. Not that that is a bad thing, in my humble opinion.

I agree with this analysis 100%...

... except the last line, of course ;)
  • Options
    ListentomeListentome Posts: 9,804
    Forum Member
    I really like The Shakespeare Code as it is very classic Doctor Who. Personally can't stand The Unicorn and The Wasp as for me it pushes farce too far.

But I am glad he is writing for the next series.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 34
    Forum Member
    His writing does seem shallow to me as well.

In my opinion, Gareth Roberts represents to current Doctor Who what Pip and Jane Baker did to 1980s Who.

What bothers me is that, knowing how brilliantly skilled and talented Moffat is, I am mystified why he would use someone like Gareth Roberts - Planet Of The Dead, The Unicorn And The Wasp, and the Shakespeare Code, are amongst the least popular of all New Who.

I am not a fan, and in my eyes, he has yet to turn in a decent script - his episodes have only been saved from embarrassment by great sets, acting, and directing.

With stunning writers like Paul Cornell and Mark Gatiss around, as well as Moffat himself, it just beggars the imagination.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ian Levine wrote: »
    In my opinion, Gareth Roberts represents to current Doctor Who what Pip and Jane Baker did to 1980s Who.

What bothers me is that, knowing how brilliantly skilled and talented Moffat is, I am mystified why he would use someone like Gareth Roberts - Planet Of The Dead, The Unicorn And The Wasp, and the Shakespeare Code, are amongst the least popular of all New Who.

I am not a fan, and in my eyes, he has yet to turn in a decent script - his episodes have only been saved from embarrassment by great sets, acting, and directing.

With stunning writers like Paul Cornell and Mark Gatiss around, as well as Moffat himself, it just beggars the imagination.

Well maybe they hire him to make there episodes look better when compared to his :D

and sorry dont know much but who are Pip and Jane Baker?
  • Options
    davrosdodebirddavrosdodebird Posts: 8,692
    Forum Member
    Which stories did Pip and Jane write for CB again? Didnt they write Vengance on Varos?

I know they wrote Terror of the Vervoids and The Ultimate Foe Part 2, But I cant think what else...

Anyway, TotV is mediocre, pretty much Bog-standard who, but nonetheless enjoyable. And I think, given the circumstances, TUF pt2 is a cracking episode! Like VoV too.
  • Options
    dgembadgembadgembadgemba Posts: 18,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Which stories did Pip and Jane write for CB again? Didnt they write Vengance on Varos?

I know they wrote Terror of the Vervoids and The Ultimate Foe Part 2, But I cant think what else...

Anyway, TotV is mediocre, pretty much Bog-standard who, but nonetheless enjoyable. And I think, given the circumstances, TUF pt2 is a cracking episode! Like VoV too.

agreed i really enjoyed VoV
  • Options
    tingramretrotingramretro Posts: 10,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Zzzzzzzz
    Couldn't disagree more. I'd take the New/Missing Adventures books and Big Finishh audios over the new series any day.Cornell is one of the best Who writers going, IMO.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Vengeance on Varos was written by Philip Martin

Pip and Jane Baker also wrote Mark of the Rani and Time and the Rani