Sony Xperia Z1

123457»

Comments

• jazzyjakejazzyjake Posts: 1,083
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I bought mines out right I would say loud speaker is poor but the handset ear speaker is good.

hmm fair enough but its still behind the s4 and htc one many have said and reviewed

thats bad considering the s4 and one are older models.
  • clonmultclonmult Posts: 3,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jazzyjake wrote: »
    hmm fair enough but its still behind the s4 and htc one many have said and reviewed

thats bad considering the s4 and one are older models.

Which is at odds with the gsmarena review :
    gsmarena wrote:
    Better still, there's very little quality drop when you plug in a pair of headphones. The stereo crosstalk rises significantly, but distortion remains undetectable and, while signal-to-noise ratio and dynamic range are still great. Volume levels are only average here, but the overall performance is great.
  • Philip WalesPhilip Wales Posts: 6,373
    Forum Member
    It destroys the S4 and HTC in performance going by the benchmarks. Loudspeaker yes the HTC will beat it, it's their "show piece", still not sure why speakers are that important on a phone but hey ho.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It destroys the S4 and HTC in performance going by the benchmarks. Loudspeaker yes the HTC will beat it, it's their "show piece", still not sure why speakers are that important on a phone but hey ho.

Some people seem to like them; I've never used the speaker on a phone for anything other than a conference call.

Even the best speakers built into phones (and tablets) are - and be honest - rubbish. They can't (and don't) offer a decent frequency response, and can't do decent bass (it just isn't possible with the size of device and amplification available).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    this or the htc one?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    this or the htc one?

Both good phones, down to personal preference.

Camera is likely more usable on the Z1, and being waterproof is potentially useful.

Speakers built into the One are better than the Z1.

Looks - both good, again though its down to personal preference.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    clonmult wrote: »
    Both good phones, down to personal preference.

Camera is likely more usable on the Z1, and being waterproof is potentially useful.

Speakers built into the One are better than the Z1.

Looks - both good, again though its down to personal preference.

hm not interested in the camera tbh. i hardly take pics lol

i guess that moves me to the htc one or nexus 5?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hm not interested in the camera tbh. i hardly take pics lol

i guess that moves me to the htc one or nexus 5?

So what do you want it for?

Browsing - the Z1 will be faster than the One (down to processor) .... and if you just want it for calls, text and email, they're all overkill.
  • MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TechRadar have published their review today - 4/5 stars.

Overall they liked it, a lot of positives but also containing a few negatives too.

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/phones/mobile-phones/sony-xperia-z1-1177393/review

Sidenote: the Sony Xperia Z1 mini has been outed with pics and specs:

http://www.gsmarena.com/alleged_official_documentation_gives_xperia_z1_mini_specs-news-6878.php
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 297
    Forum Member
    Anyone here with a Z1 had it unlocked?

Trying to find somewhere
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 38
    Forum Member
    It definitely is a downgrade, but from those who have actually used the device many of them stated it’s still a gorgeous screen. Which begs the question, why is the Vita screen (before and after) much better than Sony’s flagship phones? Curious about their decisions.
    Forum Member
    Well had mine over 1 week now and all was going great, until Saturday where I had to re-set the phone. SInce then my battery life has been useless loosing 5% per hour, go to bed at 80%, wake up with 33% left and it seemed to be taking ages to charge.

So so much that today it was going back to CPW. But arrived in work and saw it needed an update, did the update with a re-set and fingers crossed the battery looks like it's behaving again.

Hope it holds out, it really is a nice phone, and very pleased with my first Android phone. Wasn't looking forward to making the choice of either the S4 or HTC One.
  • Sniffle774Sniffle774 Posts: 20,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Got mine today and it looks a lovely bit of kit, had a quick play and very impressed. Also came with a free smart watch which looks quite funky. Not sure I would have brought one outright but it came free with the phone so thats ok :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well had mine over 1 week now and all was going great, until Saturday where I had to re-set the phone. SInce then my battery life has been useless loosing 5% per hour, go to bed at 80%, wake up with 33% left and it seemed to be taking ages to charge.

So so much that today it was going back to CPW. But arrived in work and saw it needed an update, did the update with a re-set and fingers crossed the battery looks like it's behaving again.

Hope it holds out, it really is a nice phone, and very pleased with my first Android phone. Wasn't looking forward to making the choice of either the S4 or HTC One.

should have gotten the htc one
    Forum Member
    ^^^ battery behaving now, so all good.

Strange comment I'm buying a new phone, not a phone thats 6 months old, however nice the HTC One is. But neither the S4 or HTC One really suit me. Not keen on the quality of the S4 and the HTC's camera is ok, nothing great.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One problem I have found with the phone....as someone who bites his nails it's a bugger to open the flap to charge it. :o

I will have to get a charging dock for it :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Okay, this is a strange one, and a slightly annoying quirk. When I connect the phone up to my car stereo via BT its shows the track details of one of the "default" tracks provided on the phone that shows up when you launch the Walkman app. No matter what other music player I user - Spotify, GooglePlay - it just shows the same track all the time. Also it doesnt allow me to use the on screen controls in the car to pause, play or forward tracks - the car is a Toyota Rav4. Anyone any ideas ? I even considered trying to get shot of the Walkman app but seems a little sledgehammer / walnut tbh. Do these apps not support ID tags maybe ?
  • MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good news for owners of the Z1. Apparently Android 4.4 KitKat will be released for the Z1 next month. Sony have been working on it already.

May well be one of the very first phones to receive 4.4 (after Nexus 5) seeing as other phones are still waiting for Android 4.3 or have only just received it.

http://www.gsmarena.com/sony_xperia_z1_rumored_to_get_android_44_update_in_november-news-6942.php