Favourite bus routes

Comments

• oldhagoldhag Posts: 2,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The 24 (Boris Bus), unbeatable when it's the ad-libbing driver. Very entertaining.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36
    Forum Member
    Buses in fact any public transport is hell. The days where I had to get to work (two buses, two trains) was a misery. I
  • James_MayJames_May Posts: 606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Coastliner 700 from Portsmouth to Brighton
  • primerprimer Posts: 6,370
    Forum Member
    Croctacus wrote: »

36, 36a, and 36b . All used to terminate in the Lewisham/Forest Hill area. I used to get them home from work in Vauxhall Bridge Road

36b was named as the most dangerous bus route in London several years in a row. I always thought the decision to break up the route and rename it (136, 436) was just a way of avoiding that tag. And boosting the economy of Peckham by making everyone change there regardless of where they were going....:yawn:
  • farmer bobfarmer bob Posts: 27,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd enjoy any route that uses the bendy buses, stand on the mid, pivot section that joins the 2 coaches and its like being on the Waltzer.
  • Rip the TV EyeRip the TV Eye Posts: 1,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have yet to try the 555 Lancaster-Keswick.

I travel round the country by bus, when I can, in search of the best scenery. These are some of my favourites so far:

480 Bury-Bolton
    474 Ramsbottom circular
    92/93 Manchester-Bury
    X6 Leeds-Huddersfield
    184 Huddersfield-Manchester
    350 Oldham-Ashton
    33 Gloucester-Hereford
    633 Bradford-Shipley
    97 Guiseley-Leeds
    302 Golcar circular
    589 Rochdale-Burnley
    99B Macclesfield-Biddulph
    528 Rochdale-Halifax
    576 Halifax-Bradford
    590 Rochdale-Halifax
  • goldframedoorgoldframedoor Posts: 1,649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Funk You wrote: »
    I honestly dont know! they are about 15 years out of date! but then again I dont think tracksuits were ever trendy were they? they seemed to be when I was at school though :D
    I sometimes where a tracksuit, but then I am just past the past the age of 20! :p
  • Rip the TV EyeRip the TV Eye Posts: 1,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also forgot:

58 Buxton-Macclesfield.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 137
    Forum Member
    The 150 Breezer from Bournemouth to Swanage. It's open top and runs along the coast to Sandbanks peninsula then boards the ferry across the entrance to Poole harbour close to Brownsea Island. It reaches Shell Bay and travels across the Purbeck hills to Swanage bay. Fab.

There is also a 152 which goes Swanage to Poole round the perimeter of the harbour through lovely villages like Langton Matravers, around Corfe Castle and past the steam railway. Both worth a trip and both stupidly busy this time of year with retired people doing it on a freebie with their passes....
  • RuthStarRuthStar Posts: 5,729
    Forum Member
    The only one I do regularly where I live which I like sorta is the 36 which goes from Middlesbrough through to Hartlepool, the bit where It goes through Greatham is my favourite part, such a cute/pretty little village.
    I also have been doing alot of coach journeys lately aswell, and I enjoy going through York, that's another snazzy place. (That one is the National Express 426).
  • punkyfish50punkyfish50 Posts: 1,652
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In my part of the world, the 69 (fnarf fnarf :D) from Monmouth to Chepstow. It goes straight down the Wye Valley alongside the river most of the way and the thick treelined surroundings are great, as well as the view of Tintern Abbey. It's run by a little local company who still use the old boneshakers with non-existent suspension, which is part of the fun.

Elsewhere, two different 300s (both open toppers), the first being the circular tour route around Penzance, Lands End and St Ives which is over two and a half hours worth of stunning Cornish coastline. The other is the route from Minehead to Lynmouth, which has the wilds of Exmoor on one side (bonus if you see some wild ponies) and the Somerset/Devon coast on the other with great views across the Bristol Channel to Wales. It also goes up Porlock Hill which is one of the most challenging climbs for any vehicle let alone a full sized bus.

Also, both on the Isle of Wight, the 3 especially the stretch between Shanklin and Ventnor which runs right along the clifftop with some fantastic views back over the eastern part of the island to the mainland and the 7 which goes though lots of tiny villages and more great coastline towards Yarmouth and Alum Bay.
  • jasonjimbobjasonjimbob Posts: 1,373
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My personal favourite is the X24 (Blaenavon, Pontypool, Cwmbran, Newport), the 56 (Tredegar, Blackwood, Ynysddu, Crosskeys, Newport) is quite a nice run, but the 151 (Blackwood, Newbridge, Crosskeys, Newport) is a horrible route because there is a bus stop every few hundred yards and with a bus every 10 minutes (8.30 am to 5.00 pm, Monday to Saturday) you can almost guess that the bus will stop at every one.
  • Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TP - aka TransPeak - Manchester - Derby limited stop.

It goes through some amazing countryside & roads.

Amazing to think that you can hop on a bus in an inner-city suburb & be taken miles into the countryside, all the way into Derby for very little money.
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The 41
  • Ted CTed C Posts: 11,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    farmer bob wrote: »
    I'd enjoy any route that uses the bendy buses, stand on the mid, pivot section that joins the 2 coaches and its like being on the Waltzer.

Slightly off topic I know, but on newer London buses (I generally get the 176,sometimes the 40) does anyone find the 'improved' suspension has the effect of making you feel like you are on a bouncy castle when you are walking up and down the stairs when the bus is moving?
  • jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,546
    Forum Member
    Funk You wrote: »
    Every time Im on the bus, who sits near or next to me?? some stark raving weirdo! or a smelly person. The worst one was on Wednesday when on the way home it was a sweltering day here and I was sat in some seats and the seats behind me are up a level. Some bloke sits behind me and the stench from his nether regions was unbearable!! :eek: I could only stick about 5 mins of it and got up and move with my fingers covering my nose. He asked me why I was moving and I just uttered "because you f*****g stink!"

I reckon you could have been a bit more diplomatic! Swearing at strangers isn't cool.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,899
    Forum Member
    London route 188 from North Greenwich to Russell Square via Greenwich, Canada Water and Waterloo. It passes my house :)
  • TomGrantTomGrant Posts: 4,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The 88 in London is a tourist bus dream.

From Clapham Common through Vauxhall, over the bridge and up Millbank through Parliament Square, Whitehall, Trafalgar Square, Haymarket, Picadily Circus, Regents St, Oxford Circus, Portland Place, Euston and ends in Camden.
  • dj_saucepanboy5dj_saucepanboy5 Posts: 6
    Forum Member
    Orangemaid wrote: »
    Favourite bus route is the route to come home lol
    This + the one that even though it seems to go a long way round for me to get home, it is in fact much quicker, as it skips most of the traffic jams and road works which seems to be all to common in recent months! :D
  • Jackie BrownJackie Brown Posts: 3,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The 23 London bus has always been my fave and I would take part of it home. It runs from Liverpool Street to Ladbroke Grove. Takes in some great sights such as St Paul's and Whitehall.

Edit: Got my routes mixed up! The 11 takes the route of Whitehall. The 23 takes the shopping route of Regent St and Oxford Street after the Strand!
  • TiffaniTiffani Posts: 5,444
    Forum Member
    I like the 1B & 1C - Poole to Christchuch.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,899
    Forum Member
    The 23 London bus has always been my fave and I would take part of it home. It runs from Liverpool Street to Ladbroke Grove. Takes in some great sights such as St Paul's and Whitehall.

You mean Liverpool Street to Westbourne Park :)
  • My Sweet LifeMy Sweet Life Posts: 1,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some of my favourite London bus routes are: 30, 38, 26, 13 and 10.
  • Jackie BrownJackie Brown Posts: 3,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ramo1234 wrote: »
    You mean Liverpool Street to Westbourne Park :)

Yes, got mixed up and edited above! Also love the 25 bus in London. Goes past my mum's house and I used to love sitting on it from the East End all the way to Oxford Circus when going on a shopping splurge!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 48
    Forum Member
    farmer bob wrote: »

I stood in that section for the first time the other day. It made me feel motion sick. Horrible.

A good scenic route is the one from Matlock to Sheffield through the Peak District park and the Chatsworth Estate. However the bus I travelled on was a bit old and bumpy.

Also like the York to Whitby route.