Christmas Dinner!!

13»

Comments

• indianwellsindianwells Posts: 12,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love my Christmas dinner. We'll be having a Kelly Bronze crown with spuds roasted in duck fat, glazed carrots, swede & carrot mash, sprouts sautéed with pancetta and chestnuts, honey glazed parsnips, sausages wrapped in bacon, stuffing and gravy made the day before. The only thing cooked on the day will be the turkey and roasties and parsnips, everything else will be done the day before and microwaved. We don't do starters as we like a big roast dinner. I made my Christmas puds in October so that will be dessert, although I won't be having any as I can't stand anything sweet. Whilst cooking I will be having a bottle of Champagne all to myself and shall probably forget something. Last year it was the parsnips, found them burnt to crisp in the oven on Boxing Day!:blush::)
  • SecretLifeoBeesSecretLifeoBees Posts: 50,865
    Forum Member
    jarryhack wrote: »
    We are still stuck in the 70's for our Christmas Dinner.

Prawn Cocktail for starter
    Turkey with all the trimmings
    Trifle for pudding.

Works for us!

Same here. If it ain't broke an' all that.
    We will also be having with the turkey some of the runner beans I grew in the summer as I kept some back and froze them for Christmas.
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,806
    Forum Member
    mklass wrote: »
    Of course there is!..................... what about the staff that are working?..... they will want paying, probably treble time!....... I don't think that's a bad price at all for a Christmas day lunch!.......................

I am surprised no one has mentioned mince pies for the end of the meal!................. it wouldn't be xmas if there was none of them on the table with some cream!............:o

Yes they will want paying extra, depending on their contract. When I worked in hospitality I was contracted to work Christmas Day with no extra pay so not all staff are paid extra. Anyone with a basic understanding of restaurant pricing will realise it cannot possibly justify the cost of a meal trebling.
  • coolmum123coolmum123 Posts: 1,467
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aah thanks everyone for your replies! I do have a double oven but it's under my hob so space in both ovens seems to be smaller. Never thought of cooking one on Xmas eve! Might give it a go this year! 😊
  • coolmum123coolmum123 Posts: 1,467
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love my Christmas dinner. We'll be having a Kelly Bronze crown with spuds roasted in duck fat, glazed carrots, swede & carrot mash, sprouts sautéed with pancetta and chestnuts, honey glazed parsnips, sausages wrapped in bacon, stuffing and gravy made the day before. The only thing cooked on the day will be the turkey and roasties and parsnips, everything else will be done the day before and microwaved. We don't do starters as we like a big roast dinner. I made my Christmas puds in October so that will be dessert, although I won't be having any as I can't stand anything sweet. Whilst cooking I will be having a bottle of Champagne all to myself and shall probably forget something. Last year it was the parsnips, found them burnt to crisp in the oven on Boxing Day!:blush::)

😂 I had a bottle all to myself last year too! Best part if being in the kitchen!
  • molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Decision now made, got a large piece of beef half price so will do that for the meat eaters. And stuffed mushrooms for me. Might try a Yorkshire but my attempts are not usually very good !
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    molliepops wrote: »
    Decision now made, got a large piece of beef half price so will do that for the meat eaters. And stuffed mushrooms for me. Might try a Yorkshire but my attempts are not usually very good !

As long as the fat is red hot along with the oven when you put the Yorkshires in you can't go wrong. After 10 minutes turn the oven down to about 180 to finish cooking.
  • boozer3boozer3 Posts: 2,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Had google what swede looks like. :)

I see them all the time but I've never had, What does it taste like?
    Hard to believe it's member of the cabbage family, more like a potato family to me.

It's hard to describe what swede tastes like; it's got an almost spicy aromatic flavour like parsnips do. It's a beast to peel and chop so you'll need a good knife. Chop it up, boil it and mash with plenty of butter and pepper. A good tip is is dry it out a little over a low heat after draining as it absorbs lots of water. I love it mashed with carrots too. It also makes a good addition to stews.
  • JOHNORJOHNOR Posts: 3,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i've already mentioned what i'm having on christmas day - i'm the one that's eating out :D but i've just double checked the menu and rather than go for the soup, i was thinking of trying the oyster bienville? apparently it's a baked oyster filled with shrimps, shallots and a sherry bechamel? never had oysters before, so wondering has anyone tried these and can they recommend them. it'll be far more adventurous than soup!

as a side line, i've finalised my christmas eve offering. i'm having turkey and homemade sausagemeat/sage/onion/chestnut stuffing barms with cranberry and mayo, also baked camembert with redcurrant jam with doritos to dip in. for dessert i'm having ben and jerry's "joy to the swirled" :D (vanilla icecream with swirls of caramel and chocolate fudge) and syrup sponge. how classy!! obviously i'll also be having copious amounts of bucks fizz, bailey, mulled wine etc.
  • molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As long as the fat is red hot along with the oven when you put the Yorkshires in you can't go wrong. After 10 minutes turn the oven down to about 180 to finish cooking.

Thank you but I have chickened out and bought some Aunt Bessie's on the way home from work last night. I can guarantee everyone will like them.
  • gorgeousgirlgorgeousgirl Posts: 5,031
    Forum Member
    I'm another one who is eating out and I can't wait.

Everyone else is having either turkey or salmon but I'm a veggie so

Starter - Honey roasted root Vegetable Soup
    seasoned with black pepper and topped with cream, served with crusty bread and butter

Main - Mixed Nut Roast with Mediterranean vegetables all served with a roasted parsnip, roasted potatoes, baby potatoes and seasonal vegetables.

Dessert - Iced white chocolate and cherry parfait served with a winter berry compote.
  • JOHNORJOHNOR Posts: 3,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm another one who is eating out and I can't wait.

Everyone else is having either turkey or salmon but I'm a veggie so

Starter - Honey roasted root Vegetable Soup
    seasoned with black pepper and topped with cream, served with crusty bread and butter

Main - Mixed Nut Roast with Mediterranean vegetables all served with a roasted parsnip, roasted potatoes, baby potatoes and seasonal vegetables.

Dessert - Iced white chocolate and cherry parfait served with a winter berry compote.

Sounds gorgeous. How much is yours costing you?
  • LushnessLushness Posts: 38,165
    Forum Member

I think this is where people go wrong. The fat is nowhere near hot enough and opening the oven door is another no no.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 129
    Forum Member
    Wow, it's amazing how much restaurants rip people off at Xmas. There's no justification for those prices.

On the contrary that seems good value for Christmas lunch out. They are usually much longer affairs, involve more staff, and the children are eating for free.

I think it sounds lovely :)
  • gorgeousgirlgorgeousgirl Posts: 5,031
    Forum Member
    JOHNOR wrote: »
    Sounds gorgeous. How much is yours costing you?

£47.95 (they're very precise lol :D) we wanted to eat out last year but apparently even booking in late September we left it too late for a decent pub. So this year we got in early and I think it's totally worth the price, it's a lovely country place that does amazing food and there will be none of the stresses of having my mother run round crazy.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    £47.95 (they're very precise lol :D) we wanted to eat out last year but apparently even booking in late September we left it too late for a decent pub. So this year we got in early and I think it's totally worth the price, it's a lovely country place that does amazing food and there will be none of the stresses of having my mother run round crazy.

Part of me would love to go out for xmas dinner (except for the spuds, there is no way any pub or restaurant can match homemade roast potatoes) but I actually love being in my kitchen. I spend half my life in there and I'm never happier than opening some fizz and getting down to it on the day. I'm only usually cooking for 3 so it's pretty easy. In the morning I cook off all the veg (or the day before) and get everything else ready. My wife drops me off at the pub between 12 and 2 then when I get back i'll have a snooze in the afternoon. About 5 i'll go back in the kitchen for round two. Throughout the year we eat our main meal about 6.30 so we see no need to change this. We are usually stuffed after the dinner so have the xmas pud around 8, a glass of good bourbon, a bit of telly then I'm ready for bed around 9.30.
  • nethwennethwen Posts: 23,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You're all making me feel hungry. :D

I LOVE Christmas dinner! Can't wait.
  • maggie thecatmaggie thecat Posts: 2,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Turkey. I'm going to put it in the crockpot on low the day before and let it slow roast. Sprouts and chestnuts. Baked butternut squash. Cranberry sauce. Raspberry tart for dessert - bought. This is going to be a seriously laid back Christmas Dinner.
  • SHAFTSHAFT Posts: 4,369
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Similar to most years: Lobster with melted butter, garlic and parmesan and scallops/chorizo skewers to start. Roast goose in a honey and lemon marinade stuffed with bacon and potatoes, (Poussin for my daughter who has decided that she doesn’t like turkey anymore),sweet potatoes, garlic roasties, parsnips, sprouts, carrots and peas. Tiramisu Cheesecake or hot churros with chocolate dip for dessert.
  • StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    The extra staff costs cannot possibly justify the price. My local is charging £75 on Xmas Day, you can have exactly the same meal any other day for £25.

We are £60 per head this year in the hotel i work at.

All staff are paid double time of course. There are 30 of us on this year as we have 325 sittings and then taxis home for those who live out a bit which cost a fortune on Christmas day. To be honest, the profit margin from any other day based on those expenses aren't that much bigger.
  • StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    Yes they will want paying extra, depending on their contract. When I worked in hospitality I was contracted to work Christmas Day with no extra pay so not all staff are paid extra. Anyone with a basic understanding of restaurant pricing will realise it cannot possibly justify the cost of a meal trebling.

I've yet to see a contract in the hospitality industry specifying you must work Christmas day with no extra pay sine it's a public holiday. And ive worked in it for 21 years in various places over the UK!!
  • Smithy1204Smithy1204 Posts: 4,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SHAFT wrote: »
    Similar to most years: Lobster with melted butter, garlic and parmesan and scallops/chorizo skewers to start. Roast goose in a honey and lemon marinade stuffed with bacon and potatoes, (Poussin for my daughter who has decided that she doesn’t like turkey anymore),sweet potatoes, garlic roasties, parsnips, sprouts, carrots and peas. Tiramisu Cheesecake or hot churros with chocolate dip for dessert.

That sounds lovely! The hot churros sound amazing.
  • Rossby41Rossby41 Posts: 955
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We will be having Hungarian Pork with Veg for dinner this Christmas day. Would have normally had Turkey, but it's my sisters wedding today, and in the evening meal it'll be their Christmas menu, and people will be having Turkey (I'm only one out the family eating Christmas day having Turkey).
  • mklassmklass Posts: 3,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I will be having mince pies.

Do you like yours with single cream or double cream?

I LOVE.... them any way they come!......lol........ Single cream, Double cream, Custard or Ice cream!....................... I wouldn't refuse any which way!.....:D............... in fact!, I think I will have to go to the kitchen right now and have a couple!........:D:

And it will be with!...:confused:................. Hmm.... double cream!.....;-)