Upstairs Downstairs : the original (and best!!)

kate36kate36 Posts: 13,715
Forum Member
✭✭
I missed a lot of this series the first time round, having been only a little girl at the time but we recently bought the boxed set and I'm loving every minute!! I do remember bits and pieces but most of all I remember and still enjoy watching the actors bring the characters to life - and witness the fantastic portrayal of a period of history brought vividly to life on the small screen.
This is the thread to post your thoughts and memories of this superb series!!:)

Comments

• teresagreenteresagreen Posts: 16,444
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was a programme I never missed, and I've enjoyed watching the re-runs on ITV3. It captured the age very well, especially the 'knowing your place' bits.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18
    Forum Member
    I watched the latest Upstairs Downstairs. I was disappointed with it but stuck it out for all three episodes. The original series was definately the best. They should have left it alone because in a lot of cases remakes never carry on the quality of the original programme.

New version of this show is well out-classed by Downton Abbey which rocks.
  • Ken TunKen Tun Posts: 1,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rum_Raisin wrote: »
    I watched the latest Upstairs Downstairs. I was disappointed with it but stuck it out for all three episodes. The original series was definately the best. They should have left it alone because in a lot of cases remakes never carry on the quality of the original programme.

I wish people would stop referring to the new series as a REMAKE.
  • opal88opal88 Posts: 1,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kate36 wrote: »
    I missed a lot of this series the first time round, having been only a little girl at the time but we recently bought the boxed set and I'm loving every minute!! I do remember bits and pieces but most of all I remember and still enjoy watching the actors bring the characters to life - and witness the fantastic portrayal of a period of history brought vividly to life on the small screen.
    This is the thread to post your thoughts and memories of this superb series!!:)

I too have all the originals - just got the last boxed set and have never watched such a well conceived historical drama - I'd like to point out that without Upstairs Downstairs, it's very unlikely there would ever have been a Downton Abbey.

Back to UD though my favourite character was Lady Elizabeth - I wanted to be her when I was little - sure beats wanting to be Cheryl Cole or Jordan! I also loved Sarah and Lady Georgina. We've just watched the one where Lady Marjorie falls in love with her son's friend who's home on leave and she reads him Keats - it was superb!
  • RetrospectiveRetrospective Posts: 3,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched the three episodes that were on after Christmas but wasn't very keen on it.
    I much prefer the original when Mr Hudson and Mrs Bridges were in it. Gordon jackson was a fine actor and marvellous as the butler.
    I used to watch it back in the seventies and loved it back then. Recently I caught a few episodes of it when they were showing it on BBC 3 before Christmas. Loved it even more seeing it again.
  • chloebchloeb Posts: 6,501
    Forum Member
    i got the boxed set for Xmas...looking forward to watching it. I was very small when it was first shown & have watched the various re-runs on itv3/4

havent seen the black & white episodes either or the documentaries which are included :D
  • EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fantastic series : maybe the best costume drama ever.

Every single character was memorable.My favourite characters were Hudson,Daisy,Lady Georgina,Lady Elizabeth and James.

I once met Lord Bellamy btw :)
  • kate36kate36 Posts: 13,715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rose, Hudson and Mrs Bridges were amongst my top favourites:)
  • gboygboy Posts: 4,989
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved the original - some very well-drawn and believable characters supported by some great actors.

My favourite character of all was Ruby.

I quite liked the new series - though it somehow lacked the energy and charm of the original.

Interestingly, the BBC tried to revamp the format a few years ago with a show called 'Berkeley Square', featuring 3 nannies who worked in posh houses at the turn of the last century. Unfortunately, the show didn't take off with viewers and only ran to one series.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eurostar wrote: »
    Fantastic series : maybe the best costume drama ever.

Every single character was memorable.My favourite characters were Hudson,Daisy,Lady Georgina,Lady Elizabeth and James.

I once met Lord Bellamy btw :)

Wow! Did you curtsey? I almost literally bumped into Sir James (aka Simon Williams) walking to Top Withens near Haworth in the late 80s.i was open mouthed and forgot to look where I was going - he was really charming and polite and smiley. Also,the actress who played the Irish kitchen maid - Emily in the first few episodes is now a maths tutor! I cried when she hanged herself after falling in love with a footman from another house.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    opal88 wrote: »
    Wow! Did you curtsey? I almost literally bumped into Sir James (aka Simon Williams) walking to Top Withens near Haworth in the late 80s.i was open mouthed and forgot to look where I was going - he was really charming and polite and smiley. Also,the actress who played the Irish kitchen maid - Emily in the first few episodes is now a maths tutor! I cried when she hanged herself after falling in love with a footman from another house.

He was exactly the same in real life : very charming and polite....it was like talking to the real Lord Bellamy :)
  • skf1skf1 Posts: 7,857
    Forum Member
    I was raised on Upstairs Dowstairs. Totally loved it. I always wanted to be Ms Lizzy!
    We still get it out here in the US on PBS at the weekends. It's timeless. There is not many British shows which receive acolades from the Emmy's and Golden Globes and triumph. (Unless it's The Office. I just wish they never had killed off Lady Marjorie in the Titanic storyline. I always wanted her to come back! Instead we had Hazel Forrest - a red head impersonator!
    In regards to the recent continuation. I totally enjoyed it. Beautiful casting and excellent acting and script.

Possibly the only time I didn't enjoy Lady Marjorie. She was so unsympathetic towards Emily. Plus he was a **** for use of better wording. (The footman) That was heartbreaking.
    The only thing I really wish that had happened - I wanted Thomas (Taffy) Watkins who knocked Sarah up get his comeuppance - slimy, annoying man. Can't believe he got away with so much. I'll never forget the episode where he grasped Roses neck - only as she was onto him. Threw her to the ground. Horrible man. Is it true they were supposed to have a spin off? Sarah & Thomas?

Steph
  • Pliny the ElderPliny the Elder Posts: 2,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to hate Upstairs Downstairs when I was a kid. I'm just not a fan of period drama and never have been.
  • whackyracerwhackyracer Posts: 15,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought the new series was excellent, not sure why everyone is so down on it?
    Forum Member
    I too have all the originals - just got the last boxed set and have never watched such a well conceived historical drama - I'd like to point out that without Upstairs Downstairs, it's very unlikely there would ever have been a Downton Abbey.

Back to UD though my favourite character was Lady Elizabeth - I wanted to be her when I was little - sure beats wanting to be Cheryl Cole or Jordan! I also loved Sarah and Lady Georgina. We've just watched the one where Lady Marjorie falls in love with her son's friend who's home on leave and she reads him Keats - it was superb!

Darn it! Another one of the reasons I hate Watkins! (Although he did do the right thing this time!) Well kinda! Blackmailing son of a bitch!
    Elizabeth was never a lady. Ms Elizabeth or if you are Rose Ms Lizzy. She was The Hon. Elizabeth Kirbridge after marriage. I've no idea how that all worked!
    I'm thinking I'll be needing a weekend catching up on the original again!

Steph
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ken Tun wrote: »
    I wish people would stop referring to the new series as a REMAKE.

That irritates me too. It's a continuation.
    skf1 wrote: »
    Is it true they were supposed to have a spin off? Sarah & Thomas?

Steph

Thomas and Sarah was actually made. I thoroughly enjoyed every episode and it was popular enough for ITV to commission another series. Unfortunately, due a strike it was scrapped before completion.
    Forum Member
    red_outlaw wrote: »

Thomas and Sarah was actually made. I thoroughly enjoyed every episode and it was popular enough for ITV to commission another series. Unfortunately, due a strike it was scrapped before completion.

I have never seen it. I'll have to track that down! If only for curiousity. :)

Steph
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I forgot Miss Lizzy was a Rt. Hon and not a Lady - thanks for pointing that out for me - it didn't sond right when I wrote it. My favourite episode with her was when she became scandalously involved with the glorious decadent Armenian (?) caddish type - I remember a lot of fur being involved for some reason - I was very impressionable at the time!

Am i right also in thinking that Pauline Collins released the theme tune as a single - What are we going to do with Uncle Arthur?'
  • The quizmasterThe quizmaster Posts: 93,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am currently watching the original series, and every episode is a gem. It actually had the Upstairs Downstairs relationship - not like the recent new series.
  • allie4allie4 Posts: 11,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am currently watching the original series, and every episode is a gem. It actually had the Upstairs Downstairs relationship - not like the recent new series.
    To be fair they could never have had our total immersion in the characters in only 3 parts. That was a big mistake.
    The original series will always be my favourite in this genre. I'm afraid I'm practically alone in not liking DA - superficial and boring I thought! And mainly rather unlikeable characters.
    My favourite characters in the original UD were Ruby, Hudson and Mrs Bridges!
  • grahamcrowdengrahamcrowden Posts: 1,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chloeb wrote: »
    i got the boxed set for Xmas...looking forward to watching it. I was very small when it was first shown & have watched the various re-runs on itv3/4

havent seen the black & white episodes either or the documentaries which are included :D

ITV3 always miss out the B&W episodes.
    There are 3 versions of the first episode.

One made in B&W due to a strike and that version is lost.
    Version 2 was a remake of the first episode made in colour once the strike was over .
    Version 3 is basically the same as version 2 but with an adjusted ending that makes up for the fact that the next 5 or 6 episodes were also made in B&W and usually not shown so some of the info that viewers would miss in episodes 2-7 is included in the alternate episode 1.
    Basically , one version assumes the B&W episodes will follow and the other versions assumes the channel will skip to the next colour episode.

Both versions in colour are on the Network boxset as are an awful lot of commentary tracks .
    red_outlaw wrote: »

Thomas and Sarah is also available from Network dvd
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    allie4 wrote: »
    To be fair they could never have had our total immersion in the characters in only 3 parts. That was a big mistake.
    The original series will always be my favourite in this genre. I'm afraid I'm practically alone in not liking DA - superficial and boring I thought! And mainly rather unlikeable characters.
    My favourite characters in the original UD were Ruby, Hudson and Mrs Bridges!

There was going to be a spin off series of those three running a guest house,but Mrs Bridges died alas :)
  • Hells_ChickenHells_Chicken Posts: 462
    Forum Member
    skf1 wrote: »
    I just wish they never had killed off Lady Marjorie in the Titanic storyline. I always wanted her to come back! Instead we had Hazel Forrest - a red head impersonator!

They killed Lady Marjorie off becuase Rachel Gurney (the actress playing) her asked to leave. I remember reading on IMDB.com that she loathed her character and asked to be written out.

My favourite characters were Daisy and Miss Georgina. I liked Ruby, Mr Hudson and Mrs Bridges. I also liked Virginia Bellamy, especially when she pretended that there was money left from James' estate for Miss Georgina to get married.
  • BrolacBrolac Posts: 496
    Forum Member
    Good to see the old 70's original is still highly regarded,as I've been recording the re-runs on ITV3 Saturday mornings.I missed most of the earlier series,and started from the Titanic episode.
    Might just get the boxset as this really was high quality TV.Have to laugh at times at the attitude and thinking of those days!
  • potatoman1potatoman1 Posts: 23
    Forum Member
    Brolac wrote: »
    Good to see the old 70's original is still highly regarded,as I've been recording the re-runs on ITV3 Saturday mornings.I missed most of the earlier series,and started from the Titanic episode.
    Might just get the boxset as this really was high quality TV.Have to laugh at times at the attitude and thinking of those days!

Beware that Network have reissued the show on dvd in a smaller boxset with the bonus features removed.
    That includes the loss of a 5 hour documentary covering all the seasons , a Russel Harty Xmas show that was aired shortly after the final episode was shown and this sees Harty interviewing the main cast in character.

Not sure if the many commentaries are still there though