Ridiculous child names

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,037
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Just having a rant really, what is it will silly child names now?

I've got a few friends on facebook with kids named Milo, Teddy and Bear, I can't imagine school is going to be fun for them!

Anyone agree or am I just being a grumpy 'outdated' person? :cry:

Comments

• Swanandduck2Swanandduck2 Posts: 5,502
    Forum Member
    Well. Milo and Teddy are quite old names. I wouldn't call them ridiculous. But I agree some people go OTT in their attempts to be different. Mainly Zelebs.
  • Richard1960Richard1960 Posts: 20,340
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes Bob Geldof named one of his children Fifi Trixebelle and the other Peaches.:eek:
  • epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I quite like Milo, and Teddy is just short for Theodore, isn't it?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apple & Moses. Now that Chris & Gwynnie have moved them back to LA they must be getting the crap beaten out of them. Poor feckers :(

In Dublin, if you were called Moses I doubt you'd survive to the age of 10. Jimbo Jones and his ilk would have you beaten to a pulp every 5 minutes.
  • Jane Doh!Jane Doh! Posts: 43,307
    Forum Member
    epicurian wrote: »
    And Edward.
  • PolominiPolomini Posts: 533
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ridiculous names, to me, are those that are spelt oddly - presumably deliberately - to make them stand out. Often hyphenated, too. You know the sort I mean.... :D
  • Deb ArkleDeb Arkle Posts: 12,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes - Mini Deb has a friend called Emilie. I mean, why bother with the daft spelling?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jane Doh! wrote: »
    And Edward.

Ah! I didn't know that.
  • RorschachRorschach Posts: 10,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well. Milo and Teddy are quite old names. I wouldn't call them ridiculous.
    Yup, there were Milos around in ancient Greece.

And there have been Teddys around for hundreds of years too. In fact the use of Teddy as a name predates the use of Teddy to describe a bear.

:D
  • RorschachRorschach Posts: 10,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    epicurian wrote: »
    Jane Doh! wrote: »
    And Edward.
    And Edmund and Theobald.
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes Bob Geldof named one of his children Fifi Trixebelle and the other Peaches.:eek:

My maternal relative's first name is Trixibelle, and she's 94. :D

It's a family story that she was named after a celebrated music hall singer. Her parents (who were devout music hall attendees) died in a train or road accident before she was old enough to be interested in learning the story of her name. So we don't know which music hall singer it was.

Of course, she has had a bit of teasing over her name. She once was asked for her "proper" name when she went in a post office to renew a dog licence. The person thought Trixibelle was the name of her dog. :D But yeah, she's known to everyone as Trixie.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Deb Arkle wrote: »
    Yes - Mini Deb has a friend called Emilie. I mean, why bother with the daft spelling?

That's a Swedish version of Emily, isn't it?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Takae wrote: »
    That's a Swedish version of Emily, isn't it?
    Oh, I didn't know that - the parents are forgiven, in that case.
  • trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hate the tacky, chavvy, celeb type names. Keanu, for example.

My nephew (Miles - cool name) has a little toddler called Jarvis - which I love!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    trevgo wrote: »
    I hate the tacky, chavvy, celeb type names. Keanu, for example.

My nephew (Miles - cool name) has a little toddler called Jarvis - which I love!

As in Keanu Reeves? To be fair, it's a Hawaiian name, and he does have Native Hawaiian ancestry.
  • Hobbit FeetHobbit Feet Posts: 18,798
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Made up names annoy me

any others I may not like, but I wouldn't criticise them (well I would but then I'm a bit of a bitch :o)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apple & Moses. Now that Chris & Gwynnie have moved them back to LA they must be getting the crap beaten out of them. Poor feckers :(

In Dublin, if you were called Moses I doubt you'd survive to the age of 10. Jimbo Jones and his ilk would have you beaten to a pulp every 5 minutes.

Moses is a very traditional name bibical name. These days Moses tends to be more common amongst African Americans. But Moshe and Musa the Jewish and Muslim versions of Moses aren't at all unusual. I know several Musas

In Turkey Alma (apple) is a girls' name. So I don't see why giving someone the English version is strange.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rorschach wrote: »

And there have been Teddys around for hundreds of years too. In fact the use of Teddy as a name predates the use of Teddy to describe a bear.

:D

Weren't Teddy bears named after a 'Teddy' Theodore Roosevelt.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,800
    Forum Member
    ...being called apple would get on my pip tbf
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ...being called apple would get on my pip tbf

It would rock me to the core :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wouldn't appeel to me either.
  • Swanandduck2Swanandduck2 Posts: 5,502
    Forum Member

That's ridiculous. There's children of many nationalities living in Dublin nowadays and many unusual names heard on the street. I agree Moses would be a strange name for an Irish person to name their child and would probably produce a few snickers, but most kids growing up here nowadays are used to strange, exotic and unusual names.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Made up names annoy me

any others I may not like, but I wouldn't criticise them (well I would but then I'm a bit of a bitch :o)

You'd better start giving an dirty eye to anyone named Fiona, Pamela, Vanessa or Jessica because all these were invented by novelists. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Takae wrote: »
    You'd better start giving an dirty eye to anyone named Fiona, Pamela, Vanessa or Jessica because all these were invented by novelists. :D
    And Wendy!
  • Penny CrayonPenny Crayon Posts: 36,158
    Forum Member
    I can't stand made up names. For some reason the name Jayden really grates on me as do the Morgans, Logans, Paige etc.

Silly names IMO.