Restaurants including service charge on bill

HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Went to Giraffe today and the meal was fine ... Expensive diet coke though, £2.45.

Last time I went I didn't realise they included 10 % service charge which they then say is optional but it's not that clear. I think a lot of people see the final amount on the bill and just pay that. Today I just paid the cost of the meal and drinks because the service was only average. The girl looked a bit put out but I like to leave a tip myself not for it to be almost hidden.

Some fellow diners were discussing how much tip to leave and I told them that they had already paid it, so the guy put his tip money away.

Do other restaurants do this?

Comments

• SJ_MentalSJ_Mental Posts: 16,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I find it very rude when tips are presumed, They should be earned especially if it is an expensive venue.
  • vosnevosne Posts: 14,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's not uncommon. Just make sure you read the bill really.
  • thefairydandythefairydandy Posts: 3,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'Service charge' should be just included in the price of the food. You don't get a 'sewing charge' as an item on the receipt when you buy a piece of clothing, and in most restaurants, someone to bring you your food is as integral as clothes arriving already stitched together.

Besides, I've paid 10% service to waiters in £100 restaurants and 10% in £30/meal restaurants, with usually the same service - why do the expensive restaurant waiters deserve more if they performed the same job?

Any tip on top of that should be entirely optional.
  • bananasplitbananasplit Posts: 1,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "service charge" - so, basically you pay for the food, then an extra charge just to bring the plate of food to your table?
    hmm, don't think so - if the waiter/waitress is likeable - they get a tip - thats about it from me.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hotgossip wrote: »
    Went to Giraffe today and the meal was fine ... Expensive diet coke though, £2.45.

Last time I went I didn't realise they included 10 % service charge which they then say is optional but it's not that clear. I think a lot of people see the final amount on the bill and just pay that. Today I just paid the cost of the meal and drinks because the service was only average. The girl looked a bit put out but I like to leave a tip myself not for it to be almost hidden.

Some fellow diners were discussing how much tip to leave and I told them that they had already paid it, so the guy put his tip money away.

Do other restaurants do this?

If I went to any restaurant and they did this to me and my family, I'd tell them what I thought of their arrogance after the food and drink got paid for. It's incredibly arrogant and rude to include tips on the bill. Tips are left if the customer thinks that the waiter/waitress deserves them.
  • LaceyLouelle3LaceyLouelle3 Posts: 9,682
    Forum Member
    Quite often its not deserved at all. I do prefer to decide my own tip.
  • DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'Service charge' should be just included in the price of the food. You don't get a 'sewing charge' as an item on the receipt when you buy a piece of clothing, and in most restaurants, someone to bring you your food is as integral as clothes arriving already stitched together.

Besides, I've paid 10% service to waiters in £100 restaurants and 10% in £30/meal restaurants, with usually the same service - why do the expensive restaurant waiters deserve more if they performed the same job?

Any tip on top of that should be entirely optional.

So you mean you paid £10 tip in the expensive restaurant and £3 tip in the £30 restaurant?
  • kippehkippeh Posts: 6,655
    Forum Member
    I will leave tips and gratuities for the waiting on staff, but I don't like there to be a presumption in the form of adding the service charge to the bill. I have already paid a premium for the meal, and rolled in with that is the not unreasonable expectation that it will be cooked and brought to my table.
  • frankie_babyfrankie_baby Posts: 1,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    optional but already on the bill service charges seem to be common in some very high end places or in other places for large groups and I can kind of accept that, but for a family aimed high street chain giraffe seems to stick out like a sore thumb trying to charge everyone them, seems pretty bizarre to me and fairly disgusting, I ate there one and never again for that very reason (food was fairly good), I would have thought their new owners (Tesco) would've got rid of that but if not then I still wont go
  • SpouthouseSpouthouse Posts: 1,046
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've paid 10% service to waiters in £100 restaurants and 10% in £30/meal restaurants, with usually the same service - why do the expensive restaurant waiters deserve more if they performed the same job?

I've never really thought of it like that before, but that's a really good point. Just because the food's more expensive why should the waiter get a larger tip?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,182
    Forum Member
    Why don't they assume that they've employed capable staff who will do their job correctly and pay them accordingly so we don't, as consumers, have to go through all this none sense over tipping?

Sometimes the tipping part of the meal is enough to put you off venturing for a meal out. I mean, we don't tip the Mcdonald's burger flippers but I'm sure they've done a great service.
  • HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I cant figure out how to do a link to the giraffe website bit about tips. I'd be grateful if somebody could add it please.

They say it's optional ..... Why don't they just leave it to the customer to tip if they want to. It also says staff are paid at least the minimum wage. They have to be by law so why say that?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I cant figure out how to do a link to the giraffe website bit about tips. I'd be grateful if somebody could add it please.

They say it's optional ..... Why don't they just leave it to the customer to tip if they want to. It also says staff are paid at least the minimum wage. They have to be by law so why say that?

It is optional. If it's added but you don't want to pay it...don't.
  • Dare DevilDare Devil Posts: 118,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I disagree with a compulsory added tip. It should be upto the customer if they tip and how much - not the company.

If I went somewhere that had an added service charge, I wouldn't pay it.

here you go - http://www.giraffe.net/tipping

Copy and paste the address into the reply box.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dare Devil wrote: »
    I disagree with a compulsory added tip. It should be upto the customer if they tip and how much - not the company.

*snip*

BiB - it is.
  • Dare DevilDare Devil Posts: 118,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    vosne wrote: »
    BiB - it is.

It still shouldn't have an 'optional' service charge on the bill though.

The bill should be made up of what's been ordered, food and drink and that's it.
  • pasodabblepasodabble Posts: 5,865
    Forum Member

You make a good point. It's largely the same service, so why am I meant to tip more just because one restaurant marks up their wine? In expensive restaurants it's often the alcoholic part of the menu that inflates the bill, which makes the "12.5% service charge" on the bill even more annoying.

Talking of 12.5%, my partner is a prolific tipper and insists on tipping no less than 12.5% no matter what (restaurants, taxis, minicabs, bellboys) while I prefer to tip based on my perception of the serviced delivered. He doesn't like that and if I don't tip "enough" he often rounds up to the "correct" amount :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dare Devil wrote: »
    It still shouldn't have an 'optional' service charge on the bill though.

The bill should be made up of what's been ordered, food and drink and that's it.

I tend to agree because it opens up the (oft occurring) possibility of double tipping, however...it is optional and there is no compulsory tipping.
  • HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pasodabble wrote: »
    You make a good point. It's largely the same service, so why am I meant to tip more just because one restaurant marks up their wine? In expensive restaurants it's often the alcoholic part of the menu that inflates the bill, which makes the "12.5% service charge" on the bill even more annoying.

Talking of 12.5%, my partner is a prolific tipper and insists on tipping no less than 12.5% no matter what (restaurants, taxis, minicabs, bellboys) while I prefer to tip based on my perception of the serviced delivered. He doesn't like that and if I don't tip "enough" he often rounds up to the "correct" amount :rolleyes:

Your partner isn't a Yank is he/she? This is what they do.

If you don't tip the right amount in America apparently they'll come running after you demanding you tip. Just another reason I'd never go to that country :D

12.5% is an odd exact percentage though, isn't it? :D Most people would tip either 10% or 20% (or wouldn't even count)
  • pasodabblepasodabble Posts: 5,865
    Forum Member
    vosne wrote: »
    I tend to agree because it opens up the (oft occurring) possibility of double tipping, however...it is optional and there is no compulsory tipping.

I've been to loads of restaurants where there's an imposed service charge for groups of 8 or more.

The other day I was at Livebait in Waterloo and we were charged £1.95 per head on top of our meal "for bread" - which was dumped in front of us almost as soon as we sat down; we didn't get a chance to refuse!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pasodabble wrote: »
    I've been to loads of restaurants where there's an imposed service charge for groups of 8 or more.

The other day I was at Livebait in Waterloo and we were charged £1.95 per head on top of our meal "for bread" - which was dumped in front of us almost as soon as we sat down; we didn't get a chance to refuse!

I'm not aware the optionality of the service charge changes with the size of party. Perhaps it does :confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't like that its very American . I always tip unless something has been very terrible. I prefer to decide how much.
  • Peter VenkmanPeter Venkman Posts: 1,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't like that its very American . I always tip unless something has been very terrible. I prefer to decide how much.

And service staff over there actually get angry if you don't tip them enough. The nerve of those people.
  • TomGrantTomGrant Posts: 4,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From the Giraffe website...
    Both discretionary and service charge tipping policies are subject to a 10% deduction for administrative and other business costs, prior to a full distribution to employees in the restaurant. All tips and gratuities are controlled by a staff representative.

So. They take 10% from staff tips for admin costs?! I can maybe understand this for card transactions, but for hard cash??!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sootysoo wrote: »
    Why don't they assume that they've employed capable staff who will do their job correctly and pay them accordingly so we don't, as consumers, have to go through all this none sense over tipping?
    Great in theory, but that often means tax on earnings, so they only get 80%ish.
    Whereas if you pay the staff any tips direct to them, it doesn't apply.
    And
    1) you shouldn't pay service charge instead of a direct tip unless you are sure the establishment doesn't pocket the charge
    2) why should the server get all the tips? What about the kitchen staff who prepared the meal? After all, were you most impressed with the way they took your order or delivered the food, or by the food itself?
    Tips should be fairly distributed. Ask the manager/owner exactly how they are divided. You'll get some very interesting replies, and plenty of tips on how to fluster.