Dynamo - The shard?

Benry_GaleBenry_Gale Posts: 1,226
Forum Member
✭✭✭
So in his silly show, did he explain the badly faked shard levitation with the wires? Or did he just play it off as a joke because he got caught out? Terrible magician, annoys the hell out of me.

Comments

• rufusrainrufusrain Posts: 923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Benry_Gale wrote: »
    So in his silly show, did he explain the badly faked shard levitation with the wires? Or did he just play it off as a joke because he got caught out? Terrible magician, annoys the hell out of me.

He tried to make out at the end of the show that he really did levitate and added the wires in afterwards just so people thought it was a trick and not real. Quite embarrassing fail really as people of course saw the wires in RL as well as pictures.
  • junipairejunipaire Posts: 3,517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who would you call a decent magician if you say Dynamo is terrible.
  • ThrasymachusThrasymachus Posts: 2,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    junipaire wrote: »

Paul Daniels. He's the best ;-)
  • egghead1egghead1 Posts: 4,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    junipaire wrote: »

Anybody. Derren brown,Paul Daniels,Penn &Teller,PauL Zenon,,take your pick really. THeres hundreds of unknown magicians working the circuit that are better than Dynamo.HE got a lucky break ,a TV show where he could make himself look good thanks to edits and stooges.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Benry_Gale wrote: »

Agreed...most overrated "magician" out there...nothing special about him, not even a personality...needs booting out off the television screens
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Paul Daniels. He's the best ;-)

I saw Daniels live about 30 years ago at The Leeds Grand and he was fantastic. Equally adept at the big stunt and the sleight of hand stuff. Check out his chop cup routine on Youtube.
  • JoystickJoystick Posts: 14,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He got caught out? So he isn't a real magician? Well I'm absolutely devastated lol
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Good god, how many times?. No one is saying 'Oooh....he's not really magic!' they are saying he's a poor magician, who relies too much on stooges and camera editing, and has average sleight of hand skills.

Do you also think it's original to point out that Wrestling is faked?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Woodbine wrote: »
    He got caught out? So he isn't a real magician? Well I'm absolutely devastated lol

If he had any sense he would have dropped the stunt from his show,continuing with it when it had been exposed was dumb.
  • JoystickJoystick Posts: 14,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What ever your opinion on him, he's not a poor magician just because you don't like him. But to say things like 'He got Caught out' just makes it sound like people think it's real lol. Most of his tricks are good, but the ones like the Shard he should perhaps avoid.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What ever your opinion on him, he's not a poor magician just because you don't like him. But to say things like 'He got Caught out' just makes it sound like people think it's real lol. Most of his tricks are good, but the ones like the Shard he should perhaps avoid.

During Flying the wires that held David Copperfield are only even vaguely noticable maybe twice to the casual viewer intently watching, 4 times to the analytical mind. That is how you do an illusion successfully and why it remains the gold standard for levitation illusions.
  • HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Haven't seen the show and know little about all of this but is it possible the wires were just for safety purposes? Ie. they were 'loose' and would have only become taught if he'd have fallen.

I just can't imagine a TV magician using that as the mechanics for a very public trick. Obviously he doesn't really have magical powers, but I would have thought however the trick was performed, the workings would be more complicated than "he was on a wire".

I've seen Dynamo on TV before and he seemed impressive enough then. It woulds seem quite regressive if this was true.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hypnodisc wrote: »
    *edit*

I've seen Dynamo on TV before and he seemed impressive enough then. I.

See him on live Tv its a different ball game.
  • AmiciAmici Posts: 67
    Forum Member
    Hypnodisc wrote: »
    I would have thought however the trick was performed, the workings would be more complicated than "he was on a wire".

All you need to think is 'What's the easiest way this trick could be achieved?'.
  • jonmorrisjonmorris Posts: 21,754
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    egghead1 wrote: »
    Anybody. Derren brown,Paul Daniels,Penn &Teller,PauL Zenon,,take your pick really. THeres hundreds of unknown magicians working the circuit that are better than Dynamo.HE got a lucky break ,a TV show where he could make himself look good thanks to edits and stooges.

He was also seen as someone who could help promote brands as someone who would be seen as up and coming, and he was regularly hired to PR firms to be at launch events etc, thus helping him become more famous in the process.

Very much 'right place, right time' and everyone would have known he's not able to do anything magical.

Someone else will be along soon enough to take his place, as always happens.
  • niceguy1966niceguy1966 Posts: 29,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zero personality, but enough slight of hand to impress a few journalists and TV presenters that were looking for a British David Blaine. I really can't stand his TV shows and would prefer Paul Daniels or Derren Brown any day.

To the posters that seem to think they are clever for knowing magicians can't really do magic, I actually feel sorry that you can't appriciate a good trick performed well. If you aren't thinking "Wow, I have no idea how he did that", he's a poor magician.

The Pepsi/Dynamo bus illusion was laughably bad. There are street beggers doing better illusions than that.
  • cris182cris182 Posts: 9,595
    Forum Member
    Zero personality, but enough slight of hand to impress a few journalists and TV presenters that were looking for a British David Blaine. I really can't stand his TV shows and would prefer Paul Daniels or Derren Brown any day.

To the posters that seem to think they are clever for knowing magicians can't really do magic, I actually feel sorry that you can't appriciate a good trick performed well. If you aren't thinking "Wow, I have no idea how he did that", he's a poor magician.

The Pepsi/Dynamo bus illusion was laughably bad. There are street beggers doing better illusions than that.

That is his problem, His big stunts are too obvious for suspension of belief, All you are thinking is 'wires' or 'Harness' no mystery about it HD cameras etc show too much of the trick

I enjoy the stuff where you think you have it then you realise he has actually got you
  • InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He seems to have a likeable personality and a good rapport with the people he does close-up magic with, although some have suggested they're actors. I did wonder whether one of the kids on the Isle of Dogs was a stage school student as she seemed to have brushed up a bit too nicely for an East End kid. But maybe I'm being too cyclical.

Either way, the bottom line is that big stunts like the Shard make headlines whereas small, clever illusions don't. I could watch him doing card tricks and suchlike for hours but that kind of show would never get commissioned for TV.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I saw him at a private party he had quite the entourage. And, yes, I'm sure most people are stooges.

Heck even the BBC fake stuff for Watchdog and the like from time to time by using actors, or even just normal BBC staff.

Everything can be defended these days on the basis that it's just entertainment.
  • niceguy1966niceguy1966 Posts: 29,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cris182 wrote: »
    That is his problem, His big stunts are too obvious for suspension of belief, All you are thinking is 'wires' or 'Harness' no mystery about it HD cameras etc show too much of the trick

I enjoy the stuff where you think you have it then you realise he has actually got you

The funny thing is on the interview when he is asked how it feels to be called a "cheat and a fake". I know he can't laugh at his fans, but really, do these idiots think anyone can really float? The issue isn't that he's a cheat and a fake, that goes without saying, the issue is he isn't very good at being a cheat and a fake.

I love watching good magicians, but when they saw a woman in half, or make someone disappear, I know it is always a trick. There is no such thing as magic!!! But if I can easily see how its done, its pointless as it isn't impressive or entertaining.
  • shaggy_xshaggy_x Posts: 3,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've never understood why this guy has a legion of fans. Couldn't believe the hoo ha when he 'floated' on the Thames. I briefly watched his first series on Watch and wasn't impressed at all. None of his tricks are impressive in the slightest.

As others have said he just got a lucky break and there's loads of other magicians out there much better than him. David Blaine's street magic is a lot more impressive and even Paul Daniels has more of a wow factor than him.

We all know no one can really float or levitate, but the real ability of a magician is in executing a trick which wows the audience and leaves them thinking how on earth they did that. Dynamo does nothing of the sort, his card tricks are lame , and his levitation is a joke.

Just happened to be in the right place at the right time that's all
  • junipairejunipaire Posts: 3,517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    people will always have their favorites I guess, for me its Dynamo who has wowed me the most with his magic and he gets so many followers I think because he remains down to earth and comes across as a genuinely nice guy.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good morning Dynamo!

;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 134
    Forum Member

+1. I agree, it's shocking ;)
  • shaggy_xshaggy_x Posts: 3,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Littlegee wrote: »
    +1. I agree, it's shocking ;)

:D:o

No one is saying others like Penn and Teller, Blaine, Paul Daniels etc are 'magic'. Of course there's always some form of trickery involved in sawing women in half, various card tricks etc. For me I am entertained by magicians when I am left wondering how on earth they did it (without t'internet spoiling it). Also, its not necessarily on what trick you see but how its executed. Someone 'walking on water' or sawing your assistant in half can be entertaining but if the execution is lame the whole trick is spoilt.

I'm a big fan of street magic and card tricks. Street magic involves a lot of stooges of course but can still be entertaining if the trick is executed correctly.

Examples off the top of my head:

Dynamo walking on water:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEc_jeGBVxs

Executed very poorly. Doesnt take a genius to work out how he does it.

Something like this is much more entertaining:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vv3vrRCrj4E