Options

White Dee: On Daily Politics today.

koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
Forum Member
✭✭✭✭
Telling the MPs how to deal with the benefits system.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She says leave the disabled who can't work alone and don't stigmatize benefit claimants. What a joke the woman is a poster girl for those seeking to depict those on benefits as undeserving who looks to relish her notoriety.
  • Options
    Blockz99Blockz99 Posts: 5,045
    Forum Member
    The outspoken star of Benefit Street White Dee who is known to be a dishonest theif and to have had their benefits stopped in the past and who has publicly condoned stealing, growing illegal drugs, etc; and was depicted on TV as claiming to be too disable to do any work for years while appearing to have nothing wrong with her says leave the disabled who can't work alone and don't stigmatize benefit claimants. What a joke the woman is a poster girl for those seeking to depict those on benefits as undeserving who looks to relish her notoriety.

Agree with this but lets not forget the darling of the left Jack Monroe. Who gave up a good paying job to go on benefits . Then complained that they were inadequit even though her ex partner and father of the child was working and contributing. So two parents working could not look after their only child .This is surely a slap in the face to all hard working parents with children .Isn't it fortunate that (ex grammar school ) Jo was able to use her self imposed benefit lifestyle to create a blog to show the poor and the benefit class how to cook thus earning her a lucrative column in the guardian and a book deal . Lets not feel too sorry for Jo who now lives with her multi millionaire partner . I'm sure Jo will use her self imposed benefits lifestyle and the effect it had on her child for years to come ...now where have I heard someone critisize someone for using their child as political tool.........
    If I had to choose I say White Dee is the more genuine person (never thought I'd say that ! )
  • Options
    AnnsyreAnnsyre Posts: 109,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    She said that she wanted to work but a DWP official told her it wouldn't be worth it unless she could earn £19 000 per annum and that she would be better off at home looking after her children. So she stayed on benefits.
  • Options
    BluescopeBluescope Posts: 3,432
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    While she makes a good point the problem is we don't have the money to keep paying the level of benefits we do now. The bottom line is we need to shift people off benefits that can find work. The problem with benefits is that for some people to was too easy their was no drive for them to get off benefits and look for a job. She was getting 220 a week for doing nothing.

One idea which she agreed on was to provide a card rather than paying cash benefits. See with the card they could tell what the benefits was being spent on the hope is it would cut the money being used to spend on drugs for example. Of course their would be ways around this but their is enough merit in the idea to make it better than just handing over cash.
  • Options
    Jol44Jol44 Posts: 21,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This woman is a disgrace.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bluescope wrote: »
    One idea which she agreed on was to provide a card rather than paying cash benefits. See with the card they could tell what the benefits was being spent on the hope is it would cut the money being used to spend on drugs for example.

Yes, because everyone on benefits is buying drugs.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does a single day go by where people aren't getting off on bashing the poor on benefits.

It appears to be a hobby for some.
  • Options
    StykerStyker Posts: 49,871
    Forum Member
    Tessa Munt the Lib Dem MP showed how little of the real worlld she knew when she said that if someone out of work is offered 4 days work that its better than no work! So she doesn't know that it takes at least 6 weeks to get benefits restarted?!
  • Options
    StylesStyles Posts: 714
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How is her "depression" getting on?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She was on sickness benefit, so why the hell is she talking about out of work benefit.
  • Options
    rusty123rusty123 Posts: 22,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Annsyre wrote: »
    She said that she wanted to work but a DWP official told her it wouldn't be worth it unless she could earn £19 000 per annum and that she would be better off at home looking after her children. So she stayed on benefits.

I don't know her background but assumed from her comment she's a single mum which made me think about that £19k figure she mentioned. Did that figure take into account what a working single mum would have to fork out on chid minders and the like? I'd be inclined to think it didn't so you can stick a fair few thousand on top of that figure (gross) to cover that cost which, by my reckoning would mean you'd probably have to be earning higher than the national average (assuming that to be £26,500)

The little introductory movie was a bit odd. Why did they decide cutting to images of laptops, games consoles and the like would help move the debate away from benefit scrounging when those items are symbolic of the perception of it?

Were they being deliberately baity with that? If so, to why? It served no purpose other than to reinforce the negative stereotype.
  • Options
    tony321tony321 Posts: 10,594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another day more dishonesty in the debate, if the benefit bashers were so sure of their stance why do they need to lie all the time ?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Styles wrote: »
    Better than her post-Celebrity Big Brother career, by the looks of it :D
    Jol44 wrote: »
    She was on sickness benefit, so why the hell is she talking about out of work benefit.
    Hmmm ... wonder if it's worth pointing out that sickness benefit (Incapacity Benefit since 1995) is basically an out of work benefit?
  • Options
    MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member

No she isn't - she is a product of the system your party created!

If you pay people more not to work than work they won't work. She has just made rational choices - why work when you are no better off.
  • Options
    gummy mummygummy mummy Posts: 26,600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Am I right to presume she is now earning a living as a " celebrity" and is no longer claiming benefits ?
  • Options
    jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,572
    Forum Member

We don't know. We are not privy to her medical records!
  • Options
    MC_SatanMC_Satan Posts: 26,512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, because everyone on benefits is buying drugs.

Or flog the value of the cand in exchange for ****, booze, dvd's, cash for drugs or whatever.
  • Options
    Pat_SmithPat_Smith Posts: 2,104
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Daily Politics reaches out to Reality TV.

Irrespective of what she says, it's hardly a accolade to be proud of. A bit of a new low.

I'd swear your account's been hacked.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MARTYM8 wrote: »
    No she isn't - she is a product of the system your party created!

If you pay people more not to work than work they won't work. She has just made rational choices - why work when you are no better off.

There is a couple who have live in a council house near us since the 1970's, they have at least 12 kids and neither of them have ever worked, well at least as long as I've known them anyway. Funnily enough they have always said the same thing as you "why work when you are no better off".
    Their children have grown up now and have children of their own, and guess what , they are now saying " Why work when you are no better off" ;-)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    White Dee is the Woman.
  • Options
    Rastus PiefaceRastus Pieface Posts: 4,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does a single day go by where people aren't getting off on bashing the poor on benefits.

all i have to say is :D:D:D:D:D:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    all i have to say is :D:D:D:D:D:D

Is she still on benefits ?

Is she not being being paid for all these interviews and TV appearances?
  • Options
    Camp FreddieCamp Freddie Posts: 1,534
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Looks like reality TV is the miracle cure for this particular variety of "depression".
  • Options
    AnnsyreAnnsyre Posts: 109,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

Quite - yourself for example

Your previous post said

"This woman is a disgrace."
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suspect she was saying she could work if she wanted to but stayed on benefits claiming to be a single mum of two who was so disabled she was effectively incapable of any form of paid employment. Due to the amount she was claiming in benefits.

With working tax credits and family tax credits and tax credits to help pay towards childcare and housing benefit available to those in low paid work I do no believe the claim that someone who is a single parent of two is better off on benefits. I would expect they would always be better off financially in paid employment. And I expect that holds true even if they are disabled as DLA/PIP can be claimed in work and there are additional tax credits for the disabled.

I doubt her claim that she was advised to not get a job and stay on benefits by the DWP.