John Barrowman

lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
Forum Member
There's a programme on the television at the moment called "Small Animal Hospital" (they've just operated on a horse, so I'm not really sure what constitutes a small animal these days), which is filmed in Glasgow. It's hosted by everyone's favourite British American hammy actor, John Barrowman.
Now, I know he's Scottish by birth, but he only spent the first 8 years of his life there. He always used to have an American or at least mid Atlantic accent. But he keeps breaking into a Weegie accent, sometimes quite strong. Is that affected, or do people really keep their accents from early childhood?

Comments

• stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would think by eight years old your accent would be more than set.

Brits who go to Hollywood pick up annoying American twangs to their voices quite quickly - was it a Girls Aloud member who had a particularly bad one. Would think it would be easy to regain your original accent when amongst your own people.
  • Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    stvn758 wrote: »
    I would think by eight years old your accent would be more than set.

Brits who go to Hollywood pick up annoying American twangs to their voices quite quickly - was it a Girls Aloud member who had a particularly bad one. Would think it would be easy to regain your original accent when amongst your own people.

Yeah. His family have very Scottish accents.....well, because they are! It's not an affectation.

Very fond of the lad because of a number of stories I've heard from fellow Cardiffians who bumped into him over the years when he was living here. All saying how lovely and unstarry he was. A colleague of mine came back from a trip to M & S where she'd done an inadvertent double take after seeing him out shopping, and was still a bit wobbly because he'd clocked it and given her a lovely warm smile. She knew she wasn't in with a chance, mind! :D
  • tellymadmantellymadman Posts: 316
    Forum Member
    He's fake
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    There was a previous thread about his accent
    http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1630088

I posted this in the trivial things that annoy you thread
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    John Barrowman putting on a Scottish accent when talking to Scottish people and then going back to American when talking to a non-Scot or addressing the viewers.
  • MintMint Posts: 2,192
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't he say that he adopted an American accent whilst at school in the States to avoid bullying? Let's just be grateful that he wasn't sent to school in Birmingham.
  • vauxhall1964vauxhall1964 Posts: 10,356
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The idiot did an anti Scottish independence video in which he, conveniently, uses his Scottish accent and wears a tartan jacket - still, a faker is still a faker. Watch and cringe..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sArFksxhV-0
  • kampffenhoffkampffenhoff Posts: 1,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Regarding accents. My Father went to a public school and lost his Scottish accent. When he was at home with us he never sounded Scottish. As soon as we were up there though, he went all Scottish. I guess JB is the same.
  • DiamondDollDiamondDoll Posts: 21,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Regarding accents. My Father went to a public school and lost his Scottish accent. When he was at home with us he never sounded Scottish. As soon as we were up there though, he went all Scottish. I guess JB is the same.

Snap.My mum came from the Western Isles and her accent changed whenever she went 'home'.:D

I like JB and think he is a good guy..........so :p to those with a different view.
  • stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Abba didn't sound Swedish, hardly a crime fitting in when English is the showbiz norm.
  • CryolemonCryolemon Posts: 8,670
    Forum Member
    He's an actor, being able to do accents is kind of part of the job. I have no idea what his actual accent is though.
  • dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some people change accents like clothes, depending on the weather. It's a skill I envy. John Barrowman is alright. He's a showman, loves being in his own skin and knows it. Self-confidence shouldn't always be mistaken for arrogance. He is a lovely man to all intents and purposes, a generous performer and likes mixing with all kinds of people. Seen him live in concert and he was great.
  • SpaceCakeSpaceCake Posts: 297
    Forum Member
    I can't stand John Barrowman. He's a karaoke singer who got lucky.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The idiot did an anti Scottish independence video in which he, conveniently, uses his Scottish accent and wears a tartan jacket - still, a faker is still a faker. Watch and cringe..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sArFksxhV-0

Bloody hell. I've never heard him speak with a Scottish accent as strong as that before. It's always been nearly American.
  • donna255donna255 Posts: 10,170
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SpaceCake wrote: »

Actually he is an actor who also does musical threate
  • Gill PGill P Posts: 21,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I saw him in his first starring role in the West End in Anything Goes. He was excellent. I also enjoyed his acting in Torchwood.
  • vauxhall1964vauxhall1964 Posts: 10,356
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    stvn758 wrote: »
    Abba didn't sound Swedish, hardly a crime fitting in when English is the showbiz norm.

ABBA sounded very Swedish when they spoke... we're talking about Barrowman's speaking voice here.
  • wilehelmaswilehelmas Posts: 3,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'Hilarious' doesn't even cover it.

It's most amusing watching him lapse into Scottish brogue and then whip his proverbials back off to do the slick North American thing when it suits.

I do like him though. I remember him once lying flat on the floor to try and stare up the female presenter's trouser leg on some kids show. It was so slapstick it hurt. :D

http://newsworldtoday.org/pics/me/itv_celebs_4_281111/john-barrowman-outside-the-itv-studios-london_3630819.jpg
  • andy1231andy1231 Posts: 5,100
    Forum Member
    He mentions his accent in his autobiography. He says that when he is at home with friends and family he talks in his natural Scotish accent. When he is "performing" he uses his mid Atlantic/American accent. I think he is a nice guy but I guess you either love him or loath him.I would love to see him return to Doctor Who and for a new series of Torchwood to be made.
  • Tweacle Tart IITweacle Tart II Posts: 5,079
    Forum Member
    More irritating than thrush whatever the accent.
  • rioniarionia Posts: 1,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SpaceCake wrote: »

I didn't think Karaoke singers did Sondheim on Broadway :)
  • dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rionia wrote: »
    I didn't think Karaoke singers did Sondheim on Broadway :)

So true. Saw him twice in 'Sunset Boulevard' and in concert. He puts everything into a performance and works hard.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    wilehelmas wrote: »
    It's most amusing watching him lapse into Scottish brogue and then whip his proverbials back off to do the slick North American thing when it suits.
    My comment earier was on this point. It's not him lapsing unconsiously into a Scottish accent. He will go into it when speaking to a fellow Scot and then immediately break out of it when talking to someone else or the camera.
  • wilehelmaswilehelmas Posts: 3,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gillian Anderson uses an English accent here and a more US one when in the US. She was brought up here and had to adopt a US accent because of bullying at school there when her family moved back.

I visited Florida last year. One of the theme parks had a girl on the gate that recognised our regional British accents and we chatted briefly about Brits abroad. On being asked why she had a strong American accent after only 6 months or so out there she told us that the Americans struggle to understand even a mild English regional accent and she adapted her accent to a US one because it was less hassle.

Yes, the Americans truly are that rubbish at acknowledging accents other than American. Cheryl Cole-Verninizedz was not kidding.
  • ARYMARYM Posts: 1,144
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did he come out of the small horses bum doing Jazz Hands at the beginning ? I find him really annoying.
  • dottzie38dottzie38 Posts: 1,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At 8 years old we moved from Southampton to Telford I picked up the accent very quickly but when we moved back to Southampton 4 years later I soon lost it and have a Hampshire drawl. I can still say a few words with a brummie twang but not many I'm useless at any other accents lol