Anton Yelchin dead at 27

Comments

• shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Really shocked by this. It seems so surreal, as I was only (yet again!) watching Like Crazy on yesterday morning, and then I read this news in the afternoon. I had always thought he was a little older than he was. Didn't realise he was quite so young. Such sad news.
  • GoatyGoaty Posts: 7,776
    Forum Member
    His family want privacy, but Daily Mail Online got photos of the crashed gate on the headline! How ghoul is that!?
  • KarisKaris Posts: 6,380
    Forum Member
    Goaty wrote: »
    His family want privacy, but Daily Mail Online got photos of the crashed gate on the headline! How ghoul is that!?

What did you expect? The media gets worse and the Daily Mail is the utter gutter rag! Disgusting.
  • BodyElectricBodyElectric Posts: 486
    Forum Member
    Karis wrote: »
    What did you expect? The media gets worse and the Daily Mail is the utter gutter rag! Disgusting.

It was on TMZ as well. That's where I first saw it, and I wish I hadn't. :(

The entire mainstream media across the world is seriously vile, with US and UK being the very worst.
  • OvertheUnderOvertheUnder Posts: 4,764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Star Trek producers are going to have to re-think or re-cast chekhov in the franchise going forward.

I'd hate to be their shoes right now.
  • anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Star Trek producers are going to have to re-think or re-cast chekhov in the franchise going forward.

I'd hate to be their shoes right now.

Really? I think that's the last thing on their minds right now.
    Forum Member

Agreed. I'm sure everyone who worked with/knew Anton personally is still in shock and mourning. The cast/crew of Star Trek are clearly very upset going by their tweets.
  • OvertheUnderOvertheUnder Posts: 4,764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Perhaps. but they will be surely tasked with finding a replacement, with a close match to Anton. Not easy at all.
  • anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Perhaps. but they will be surely tasked with finding a replacement, with a close match to Anton. Not easy at all.

Hardly respectful thinking about something like that right now.
    Forum Member

It depends if they were going to keep making movies after Beyond anyway. Considering how Into Darkness was not well received and Beyond could also be a disaster, I'm skeptical that there will be any more movies after this one. Also, there is a new TV series on the way with Bryan Fuller at the helm and would the studios want a TV show and movies out at the same time, each with a different cast and characters? They may worry it would confuse people and drop the movies in favour of the TV series.
  • Isambard BrunelIsambard Brunel Posts: 6,598
    Forum Member
    would the studios want a TV show and movies out at the same time, each with a different cast and characters?

You mean exactly like most of the films and the various series in the past?
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,201
    Forum Member

It can get worse.

Apparently he had a security camera which was pretty much directed on that spot. Rumours are TMZ trying to get their gross hands on it.
    Forum Member
    You mean exactly like most of the films and the various series in the past?

Fair point.

Modern audiences are treated by the studios as having much less intelligence than the audiences of twenty years ago, though, so who knows.
  • Sweet FASweet FA Posts: 10,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Too sad. He was excellent in Alpha Dog.:(
  • oathyoathy Posts: 32,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dee123 wrote: »
    It can get worse.

Apparently he had a security camera which was pretty much directed on that spot. Rumours are TMZ trying to get their gross hands on it.

utterly doesn't surprise me. TMZ has been on a race to the bottom for a number of years.
  • EVILSPEAKEVILSPEAK Posts: 980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Seen him in many films but as Chekov in Star Trek he was superb. The way he tried, and failed, to pronounce certain English words came across so natural and organic. And we never got to hear him say "Nuclear wessel". A genuine loss to the world of cinema.
  • Flash525Flash525 Posts: 8,862
    Forum Member
    It depends if they were going to keep making movies after Beyond anyway. Considering how Into Darkness was not well received and Beyond could also be a disaster, I'm skeptical that there will be any more movies after this one. Also, there is a new TV series on the way with Bryan Fuller at the helm and would the studios want a TV show and movies out at the same time, each with a different cast and characters? They may worry it would confuse people and drop the movies in favour of the TV series.
    I don't know about the rest of the cast, but Chris Pine & Zachary Quinto have already signed on for a fourth film if one is to be made.

As sad as this news is, if the Trek films do continue, I doubt they'll recast; they'll probably do a Paul Walker approach (providing Anton's family are okay with it) and use CGI to write the character in, or retire him (via CGI) in the next film so they don't need to worry (bad choice of words) about the character in a (possible) 5th instalment.
  • Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I don't understand why you singled out the Daily Mail - most websites running the story showed pictures of it, including the BBC.
  • JamieHTJamieHT Posts: 12,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Flash525 wrote: »
    I don't know about the rest of the cast, but Chris Pine & Zachary Quinto have already signed on for a fourth film if one is to be made.

As sad as this news is, if the Trek films do continue, I doubt they'll recast; they'll probably do a Paul Walker approach (providing Anton's family are okay with it) and use CGI to write the character in, or retire him (via CGI) in the next film so they don't need to worry (bad choice of words) about the character in a (possible) 5th instalment.

In fairness, we don't know whether his character survives the upcoming film, but yes, you're idea sounds good. Three films and then a recast would be wrong, especially given the reason he won't now be in the fourth one.
  • RosebuddyRosebuddy Posts: 1,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Strange one, it was a big Jeep I believe, yanks always use the transmission lock {P} to secure a car on a hill, rarely do they bother using the park brake, even with the engine running once the transmission is locked in P it's impossible for it to roll back or forward.

Reps from Chrysler/Fiat are inspecting the vehicle.
  • Lily_MLily_M Posts: 1,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Such sad news.

This is very poignant: http://mrscratch0753.tumblr.com/image/146196789405
    Forum Member
    Miss XYZ wrote: »
    I don't understand why you singled out the Daily Mail - most websites running the story showed pictures of it, including the BBC.

That's kind of shocking to hear. Would not have expected that at all!
  • ianradioianianradioian Posts: 74,651
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rosebuddy wrote: »
    Strange one, it was a big Jeep I believe, yanks always use the transmission lock {P} to secure a car on a hill, rarely do they bother using the park brake, even with the engine running once the transmission is locked in P it's impossible for it to roll back or forward.

Reps from Chrysler/Fiat are inspecting the vehicle.

If he'd put the handbrake on it wouldn't have rolled down and killed him.
  • SteveOwenSteveOwen Posts: 30,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So sad. He was a talented actor and cute as a button to boot. He will be missed in the Star Trek films.
  • Isambard BrunelIsambard Brunel Posts: 6,598
    Forum Member
    Has anyone been listening to the end of "Genesis Countdown" from, "The Wrath Of Khan" soundtrack?

The next thing to play directly after that is, logically, "Stealing the Enterprise" from the "Star Trek III" soundtrack.