Options

Getting a ps4 on day 1 without pre-ordering

roland ratroland rat Posts: 13,829
Forum Member
✭✭
It seems some place may have ps4 consoles on day 1, but they wont be limited to pre-ordering, so if your willing to queue you could get your hands on a ps4

It looks like game might be one place to go you could gain a PS4 console on launch day if you line-up, but not if you pre-order

So I don't have a pre-order for a ps4, but some of my mates do, I might end up getting mines before they get there's, if this is true, think it going to anger some gamers, as you have always thought pre-order should guarantee it on day 1, well maybe not it could be day 2-3
So you might be best to queue overnight, it be interesting to hear whats going to happen in each of the shops selling the ps4, do they tell you...don't turn up unless you have a pre-order receipt

Comments

• Options
    muntamunta Posts: 18,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you have pre ordered then surely you have a console reserved for you. No shop worth it's salt will be selling a console reserved for someone to someone with out a pre order.
  • Options
    alternatealternate Posts: 8,110
    Forum Member
    I think he means that some stores will be holding back a part of their stock to be sold on the day. That way they have people camped out in long queues which look good on the news.
  • Options
    MythicaMythica Posts: 3,808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    roland rat wrote: »
    It seems some place may have ps4 consoles on day 1, but they wont be limited to pre-ordering, so if your willing to queue you could get your hands on a ps4

It looks like game might be one place to go you could gain a PS4 console on launch day if you line-up, but not if you pre-order

So I don't have a pre-order for a ps4, but some of my mates do, I might end up getting mines before they get there's, if this is true, think it going to anger some gamers, as you have always thought pre-order should guarantee it on day 1, well maybe not it could be day 2-3
    So you might be best to queue overnight, it be interesting to hear whats going to happen in each of the shops selling the ps4, do they tell you...don't turn up unless you have a pre-order receipt

I doubt you will get one from 'off the shelf' for about a week if not longer. Why didn't you pre-order from Asda and use your 10% discount?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alternate wrote: »
    I think he means that some stores will be holding back a part of their stock to be sold on the day. That way they have people camped out in long queues which look good on the news.

Yes, some game stores holding back a part of their stock to be sold on the day.
    Mythica wrote: »
    I doubt you will get one from 'off the shelf' for about a week if not longer. Why didn't you pre-order from Asda and use your 10% discount?
    Wasn't really interested in pre-ordering, think asda pre-order could only be done online, but there a rumour walmart from the 24 Aug, will be taking pre-orders in store, now don't know if this includes Asda, it might very well, and would guess these pre-orders would be for collection on midnight, but it posses some questions for the midnight release

Funny thing about the pre-orders, I haven't seen anything, that's says, for day 1 release you must have a pre-order, with out this, you wont get a ps4 on day 1...maybe there were signs , but I just haven't seen them

If a shop gets 50 units, and they have 250 pre-orders, if people are going to queue up, how early do you queue, and going by call of duty release, people were queuing at 9pm

I hope by Tue they will be a lot more information, especially for midnight release of ps4
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, some game stores holding back a part of their stock to be sold on the day.

Wasn't really interested in pre-ordering, think asda pre-order could only be done online, but there a rumour walmart from the 24 Aug, will be taking pre-orders in store, now don't know if this includes Asda, it might very well, and would guess these pre-orders would be for collection on midnight, but it posses some questions for the midnight release

Funny thing about the pre-orders, I haven't seen anything, that's says, for day 1 release you must have a pre-order, with out this, you wont get a ps4 on day 1...maybe there were signs , but I just haven't seen them

If a shop gets 50 units, and they have 250 pre-orders, if people are going to queue up, how early do you queue, and going by call of duty release, people were queuing at 9pm

I hope by Tue they will be a lot more information, especially for midnight release of ps4

Asda do pre orders in store. You can also use your discount online with asda too. Or they did as I have mine pre ordered with them. The likelihood of getting a PS4 on release without pre ordering is slim to none.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No one is holding back anything. They've allotted x to pre-orders and x to store stock.

That isn't holding back.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member
    I'll never understand these people who queue up all night to get their hands on a games console or game, by the time you get home you'll probably be too tired to play it anyway. Personally i'll just go to bed and then wait patiently for my console pre-order to come from Amazon on the morning of release.

It always used to make me laugh when you'd see people on the news queueing up for the latest Call of Duty or Halo and being all excited about being the first person to play it, while i'd been playing it for two days already because i'd had it delivered early from Amazon or ShopTo.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CJClarke wrote: »
    I'll never understand these people who queue up all night to get their hands on a games console or game, by the time you get home you'll probably be too tired to play it anyway. Personally i'll just go to bed and then wait patiently for my console pre-order to come from Amazon on the morning of release.

It always used to make me laugh when you'd see people on the news queueing up for the latest Call of Duty or Halo and being all excited about being the first person to play it, while i'd been playing it for two days already because i'd had it delivered early from Amazon or ShopTo.
    These days sure, but back in the day more beneficial.

Also, Activision take action against retailers sending it out early, I doubt many got BO2 early.

In fact ShopTo isn't selling Ghosts because Activision do not let retailers send the game until the day prior.

What is more comical is that some people will go to GAME for a midnight opening and queue up for ages when you can just nip down to a deserted Tesco and get it without waiting.

I guess people like to atmosphere.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mythica wrote: »
    Asda do pre orders in store. You can also use your discount online with asda too. Or they did as I have mine pre ordered with them. The likelihood of getting a PS4 on release without pre ordering is slim to none.
    My store wasn't taking pre-orders for the ps4, you had to go online for this, and seemingly you cant collect them instore, they will be delivered by courier to your place of address

So that just leaves each store to get x amount of units for a midnight release
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My store wasn't taking pre-orders for the ps4, you had to go online for this, and seemingly you cant collect them instore, they will be delivered by courier to your place of address

So that just leaves each store to get x amount of units for a midnight release

As far as I'm aware, all stores were doing the pre-order for the new consoles, but it was sometime after the online pre-oder went up. I know the store I went to didn't even have it advertised but still did it.

As I said, the chances of any stores getting stock in to sell are slim to none. Most stock Sony have made will be for the pre-orders.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,848
    Forum Member
    I was going to gatecrash a huge release to get UC3, but ND changed the release date
  • Options
    TheCrackInTimeTheCrackInTime Posts: 134
    Forum Member
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know its not possible but in a dream world people like that who bought multiple console just to make a quick buck wouldn't be able to sell them and would get told no when they tried to return them

I hope some retailers just make it clear there will no refunds if it isn't faulty
  • Options
    c00kiemonster72c00kiemonster72 Posts: 2,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really hope nobody buys them and the seller has to return them. I don't have a problem with people trying to make a little money, but £1,000 for a £350 console? That just takes the piss.

I agree it does extract the urine:D

Unfortunately there will be plenty of people who buy their console from the likes of those listings on eBay, especially if there is a shortage of consoles till after Xmas after the initial pre order launch.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Report the listings, you can't put pre-orders on eBay unless you can guarantee they will get it within 30 days of purchase.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rich_L wrote: »

I have had a look at ebay, but not for the ps4 consoles, but for the pre-order receipts

Now if like me, you have pre-ordered the ps4, now I know some people have at least 3-4 pre-orders
    Asda, Game, Amazon, Shopto

Now what are they hoping to achieve, think most pre-orders require you to leave a deposit of around £20, I think the deposit should be non refundable

Walmart have stated, 1-2 units per customer, any more and it will be cancelled
  • Options
    CTD101CTD101 Posts: 4,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Slightly off topic, but do you HAVE to buy the camera attachment for the PS4 to play games like COD and FIFA etc
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CTD101 wrote: »
    Slightly off topic, but do you HAVE to buy the camera attachment for the PS4 to play games like COD and FIFA etc
    Nope.

Completely optional. It'll only be games like Just Prance where you need it.
  • Options
    CTD101CTD101 Posts: 4,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chopoff wrote: »
    Nope.

Completely optional. It'll only be games like Just Prance where you need it.

The bloke in Game was trying to insist that most games would need it.

cheers
  • Options
    Rich_LRich_L Posts: 6,110
    Forum Member
    Like GAME sales staff know what they are talking about.

The girl in one of the stores last week told me you plugged the gamecube controller into one of the Wii's USB ports (forget the fact its an entirely different shape)

I mean bless her, I wasnt like 'you are wrong silly female' but more of a case of 'really? oh okay then...'
  • Options
    LummoLummo Posts: 7,145
    Forum Member
    I have my PS4 and several games pre-ordered from work(Sainsbury's), we have been accepting pre-orders for quite awhile and you get given a receipt with a barcode on for each pre-ordered item, also get bonus nectar points too! :p

I think the stores are aware of how much they will be allocated, i haven't checked it in my store last couple of days, but i know another nearby Sainsbury's has stopped taking pre-orders for the PS4.
  • Options
    Rich_LRich_L Posts: 6,110
    Forum Member
    Good to see those two listings I put up have been removed and are no longer available. Dont know if anyone on here reported them to eBay but it's good nonetheless.