Options

If Sydney Newman Was Still Alive...

Iqbal_MIqbal_M Posts: 4,093
Forum Member
✭✭✭
What would he think about Doctor Who (his creation) going on 50 years later?

Comments

• Options
    Richard_WatsonRichard_Watson Posts: 426
    Forum Member
    Iqbal_M wrote: »
    What would he think about Doctor Who (his creation) going on 50 years later?

He hated it when he was alive so I doubt he'd have changed his mind.
  • Options
    JCRJCR Posts: 24,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apparently he offered to replace JNT as producer in 1985, though apparently he wanted Patrick Troughton back in the role, as well as for it to be aimed purely at children, with 2 child companions, and he wanted a 'created by Sydney Newman' credit on every episode, which they said no to.
  • Options
    sertonserton Posts: 730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Essentially sounds a little like Sarah Jane Adventures...
  • Options
    November_RainNovember_Rain Posts: 9,145
    Forum Member
    JCR wrote: »
    Apparently he offered to replace JNT as producer in 1985, though apparently he wanted Patrick Troughton back in the role, as well as for it to be aimed purely at children, with 2 child companions, and he wanted a 'created by Sydney Newman' credit on every episode, which they said no to.

Didn't he also suggest a female Doctor around the same time?
  • Options
    be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Would this be at about the same time the UK edition of Trivial Pursuit came out? It must have annoyed old Sydney to see the urban myth about Terry Nation creating Doctor Who perpetuated on such a scale.
  • Options
    Iqbal_MIqbal_M Posts: 4,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He hated it when he was alive so I doubt he'd have changed his mind.

May I ask why he hated Doctor Who?
  • Options
    spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It was a BBC VERSION of (& response to) "pathfinders". So, had to be true to BBC Charter, to inform & educate & entertain (in short, "improving"). Hence the 2-stories sequence of 1 in speculative future, followed by 1 in known historic past ....... but the daleks were 50s sci fi "monsters". Did he not see the Nazi connection ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Target_Luna

https://sites.google.com/site/firstamongdoctors/daleks
  • Options
    Richard_WatsonRichard_Watson Posts: 426
    Forum Member

He hated once it became the opposite of what he'd wanted the series to be.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pathfinders is "strangely similar" to Stowaway to Mars, putting it firmly in the tradition of Brit Sci FI ......

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stowaway_to_Mars

AsI understand it, Mary Meadows was an early "lesbian figure" in uk tv drama .......
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    .... I think he would have seen Nu Who - poor scripts and highly reliant on cgi graphics - as basically a video game.

"It's television, Jim, but not as we know it .........."
  • Options
    VopiscusVopiscus Posts: 1,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    spiney2 wrote: »
    It was a BBC VERSION of (& response to) "pathfinders". So, had to be true to BBC Charter, to inform & educate & entertain (in short, "improving").

I'm not sure that I follow you here. Pathfinders in Space is almost painfully educational/improving: an awful lot of time is taken up with characters saying things like "It's a pity that THE MOON DOESN'T HAVE MAGNETIC POLES, or we could have used a compass to navigate". By contrast with this clunky ineptitude, Doctor Who wears its educational remit lightly, and I see no reason to suppose that Newman was, in any case, opposed to family drama serials' being improving. But perhaps I have completely misunderstood your point.

I don't know why you would see Professor Mary Meadows as an early "lesbian figure" in UK TV drama, either. There is an obvious, if understated, heterosexual romance between her and Conway Henderson running through her 3 series. Now, if you'd mentioned Professor Madeleine Dawnay from the 2 A for Andromeda series, I would have been more inclined to agree.
  • Options
    VopiscusVopiscus Posts: 1,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vopiscus wrote: »
    But perhaps I have completely misunderstood your point.

OOPS! I have, haven't I? Your point is that Newman wanted it to be an educational/improving programme like the Pathfinders series, and then along came the Daleks, who were not, ostensibly, improving or educational at all.

Still, if I remember correctly, he did at least acknowledge to Verity Lambert later on that she had been right, & he had been in the wrong about this.
  • Options
    Benjamin SiskoBenjamin Sisko Posts: 1,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Jesus. No offense to Patrick as I would have loved to have seen more of his Doctor but... that sounds truly abysmal. If that happened, I suspect the series would have been cancelled before 1989, and there would be no revival at all - if anything, a complete reboot with Eccleston as the First Doctor could have been made, but I doubt it would achieve the same amount of success that the current show has.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sorry it was mary MORRIS in pathfinders. playing the strong woman - lesbian role .

she was also in Dr Who story Kinda. By which time she was quite old with a very interesting face, and a superb actor.

worth checking out kinda just to see her.
  • Options
    TEDRTEDR Posts: 3,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ... if anything, a complete reboot with Eccleston as the First Doctor could have been made, but I doubt it would achieve the same amount of success that the current show has.

Don't forget that during Eccleston's tenure it was never actually made clear whether the new programme was meant to fit with the old continuity. The reappearance of Sarah Jane the next year was the first strong statement in either direction.