Options

Music released on vinyl in the 80s-90s (anyone else surprised by this?)

Comments

• Options
    performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IzzyS wrote: »
    No I don't think so...I don't really have room for one in my room, though my parents have one in the living room. I prefer playing music through iTunes on my laptop with my earphones connected but I can totally understand using records too, it sounds cool (pardon the pun again) :)

I like lots of different types of music - pop, rock, R&B and soul mainly though. I like some dance music but not so much the really heavy stuff, nor heavy metal but most everything else. I've got the 3 80s Grooves compilations and Electronic Anthems 80s and numerous others. I've been collecting compilations of 80s music since last year (along with a couple of seventies and some 90s).

Any Stevie Wonder? He's awesome.

I write my own stuff but it's usually acoustic style. I'm thinking I should try and mix it up with some more 80s sounding material though whether it would suit my voice not sure.
  • Options
    IzzySIzzyS Posts: 11,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Any Stevie Wonder? He's awesome.

I write my own stuff but it's usually acoustic style. I'm thinking I should try and mix it up with some more 80s sounding material though whether it would suit my voice not sure.

Ah, my dad used to play his Happy Birthday song on my birthday when I was young :) we listen to some of his material but im not too familiar with the track names, other than Superstition. I Just Called To Say I Love You is good too. I downloaded a compilation of Motown tracks recently, Motown Anthems. I ought to listen to that more...

by the way your username intrigues me - what do you perform? do you sing as an actual monk? (lol j/k, kind of).

ETA - My parents also like Santana and Gypsy Kings which I quite like too - that and The Travelling Wilburys and probably a bunch of others im not thinking of right now.

We went to see a play about Ian Durys life at the Edinburgh Festival a couple of years ago - it was a bit embarrassing watching that sat next to my mum lol (think very strong, offensive language etc.) they didn't seem too bothered about it though - hah.
  • Options
    humanracerhumanracer Posts: 1,478
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was born in the 1981 and I love 80's music.

Vinyl was probably the most common music medium up until the late 80's. I would probably say from 1988 onwards CD's became more dominant, Heaven 17's 1986 remix album Endless was a CD and MC only release. MC was a good compromise for people who could not afford CD's (like me).

I don't remember vinyl being sold in Woolworths but in the early to mid 80's I was more interested in He Man figures or Star Wars toys. By the early 90's vinyl was probably only available in the Virgin and HMV Megastores.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    humanracer wrote: »
    I was born in the 1981 and I love 80's music.

Vinyl was probably the most common music medium up until the late 80's. I would probably say from 1988 onwards CD's became more dominant, Heaven 17's 1986 remix album Endless was a CD and MC only release. MC was a good compromise for people who could not afford CD's (like me).

I don't remember vinyl being sold in Woolworths but in the early to mid 80's I was more interested in He Man figures or Star Wars toys. By the early 90's vinyl was probably only available in the Virgin and HMV Megastores.

Re BiB - no no no, She-Ra was much better lol :D

To think nowadays Our Price, Virgin Megastores/Zavvi, MVC and (almost) HMV have disappeared from our high streets - how things have changed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah, my dad used to play his Happy Birthday song on my birthday when I was young :) we listen to some of his material but im not too familiar with the track names, other than ust Called To SayLove You is good too. I downloaded a compilation of Motown tracks recently, Motown Anthems. I ought to listen to that more...

by the way your username intrigues me - what do you perform? do you sing as an actual monk? (lol j/k, kind of).

ETA - My parents also like Santana and Gypsy Kings which I quite like too - that and The Travelling Wilburys and probably a bunch of others im not thinking of right now.

We went to see a play about Ian Durys life at the Edinburgh Festival a couple of years ago - it was a bit embarrassing watching that sat next to my mum lol (think very strong, offensive language etc.) they didn't seem too bothered about it though - hah.

Sorry to disappoint you but I'm not a real monk (I wouldn't have the patience for that lol) though I do perform when the mood takes me :D I'm just trying to get better at singing and songwriting atm.

My dad's into Santana he's a genius on guitar!
  • Options
    Glawster2002Glawster2002 Posts: 15,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm 30 and while I never had vinyl as a kid (tapes ftw! :D ) I enjoy picking them up now, especially if it's from a band I really love, like Radiohead or Metallica.

I don't know about anyone else but there's just...something about taking a record out of its sleeve (the hairs standing up on my neck and arms as I do it!) and putting it on...turning the amp on, adjusting the speed etc. then sitting back while the music plays with all it's glorious vinyl warmth!!

As I record my own music I've got a bit of a thing about audio compression, digital mastering and everything that, basically, sucks the life out of a recording. Vinyl mastering has to be done differently, i.e. not as loud and compressed, so you end up with something that's easier and more enjoyable to listen to.

That is the appeal for most people who buy vinyl, it is more tactile and people feel more of a connection to the music.

I'm 50 and I kept all of my vinyl and now I'm glad I did. I don't buy as much as i used to but I still buy some and if I see any secondhand records that fill gaps in my collection I will buy them too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry to disappoint you but I'm not a real monk (I wouldn't have the patience for that lol) though I do perform when the mood takes me :D I'm just trying to get better at singing and songwriting atm.

My dad's into Santana he's a genius on guitar!

Aw, shame :( I wouldn't have the patience either lol meditation is really hard actually.

Thats cool you write - I used to write lots of poems (as a teen and in my early to mid 20s - mostly angst-y s introspective poems) but not really songs. I feel like I lost my creative side a while ago, or certainly the motivation to write :( I should push myself to try and get back into it, it'd probably do me good, though it was a bit depressing.

You'd never catch me singing unless I had my music turned up really loud and I couldn't hear lol apologies to anyone around me having to hear that haha :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That is the appeal for most people who buy vinyl, it is more tactile and people feel more of a connection to the music.

I'm 50 and I kept all of my vinyl and now I'm glad I did. I don't buy as much as i used to but I still buy some and if I see any secondhand records that fill gaps in my collection I will buy them too.

Thats good, some vinyl can be worth quite alot of money nowadays. I bought my mum a copy of the main industry price guide for vinyl - they have an early edition (pressing?) of a Beatles vinyl which is apparently worth a few bob and some of more obscure artists which are quite rare too. You might not realise how much some may be worth, although if I loved the music I wouldn't be likely to sell. There's nothing quite the same as having the original copy of a great album, even if you could buy another copy on CD or whatever, I'd rather keep the copy I bought when it first came out, that carries more memories (unless the CD broke or something, of course).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aw, shame :( I wouldn't have the patience either lol meditation is really hard actually.

Thats cool you write - I used to write lots of poems (as a teen and in my early to mid 20s - mostly angst-y s introspective poems) but not really songs. I feel like I lost my creative side a while ago, or certainly the motivation to write :( I should push myself to try and get back into it, it'd probably do me good, though it was a bit depressing.

You'd never catch me singing unless I had my music turned up really loud and I couldn't hear lol apologies to anyone around me having to hear that haha :D

Hey, some of the best ever lyrics are dark and all that. You should give it another go, I reckon. Just write down anything that comes to mind. :) I'm useless at coming up with words. You could be my lyricist!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hey, some of the best ever lyrics are dark and all that. You should give it another go, I reckon. Just write down anything that comes to mind. :) I'm useless at coming up with words. You could be my lyricist!

Yeah I know but you get a bit tired of realising your going over similar things. I used to write alot more but I have written a few poems over the last year, every now and then. You can read them here:- http://islasrandomblogsandpoems.tumblr.com/

Sometimes people push me to write more but I don't feel the urge to write half as often as I used to.
  • Options
    MKS_56MKS_56 Posts: 40
    Forum Member
    Salv* wrote: »
    There's a vinyl shop near my uni. To be fair, it looks really good in there and kind of wish I could buy a vinyl CD to play.

There is no such thing as a 'vinyl CD' - albums on vinyl were called LP's (Long Players), or just 'albums'.
  • Options
    MeicYMeicY Posts: 2,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I own "Don't Look Back In Anger" by Oasis on 7" vinyl.

Some indie artists and "cool" bands will still release on vinyl - White Stripes for example, Zooey Deschanel as well.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah I know but you get a bit tired of realising your going over similar things. I used to write alot more but I have written a few poems over the last year, every now and then. You can read them here:- http://islasrandomblogsandpoems.tumblr.com/

Sometimes people push me to write more but I don't feel the urge to write half as often as I used to.

Those poems are really good! You should definitely write more. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Those poems are really good! You should definitely write more. :)

Thanks :) though I don't think its my best work but its the most recent and perhaps most mature. I tend to feel like if I spend much time writing, I end up re-hashing the same things over again.
  • Options
    Mr DangerousMr Dangerous Posts: 902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The 80's was the best time for Vinyl, mainly for picture discs and various coloured vinyl...

How many people own a copy of the Sgt Pepper album in YELLOW vinyl??

The last ever Vinyl album I ever bought was Bjork's album POST in Pink vinyl..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The 80's was the best time for Vinyl, mainly for picture discs and various coloured vinyl...

How many people own a copy of the Sgt Pepper album in YELLOW vinyl??

The last ever Vinyl album I ever bought was Bjork's album POST in Pink vinyl..

Post and Homogenic are two of the best albums ever!
  • Options
    Mr DangerousMr Dangerous Posts: 902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Post and Homogenic are two of the best albums ever!

I would agree with you on that, :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks :) though I don't think its my best work but its the most recent and perhaps most mature. I tend to feel like if I spend much time writing, I end up re-hashing the same things over again.

There's no problem with writing about the same subject, especially if it's how you're feeling at that time. I find that forcing myself to come up with something musically, in a certain direction, doesn't tend to result in anything decent... What naturally comes is what you have to go with.

Looking back at some of your older ones and they're just as good :) I like 'Sunset' and 'Life Is Fragile'.
  • Options
    AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think I got my first CD player in 1991. It was a Technics discman, and would have been just before Erotica came out, which puts it at Christmas 1991. It used to jump all the time if you walked anywhere with it, so they were never as good as walkmans, and I eventually copied all my CDs to tape and kept the CD player for home use.

I got a car in 1995 (a Ford Orion Ghia if anyone remembers them) and couldn't afford a CD player for it, so everything I bought from then until the early 2000s was on tape. Then Napster and CD-burning came out so it was back to CDs briefly until MP3 players came along a couple of years later.

I never really amassed much of a CD collection because I used mostly tapes until MP3 players took off. I've got loads of vinyls from the 80s though, and loads of 12" which iirc, were about the same price as an album. There were also flexidisks but they never really took off.
  • Options
    mrkite77mrkite77 Posts: 5,386
    Forum Member
    The newest LP I own is Delta Spirit's self-titled album. Released in 2012.

http://www.amazon.com/Delta-Spirit/dp/B0072X2NOY

I bought it for this song:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Va0ezWC2du4

and I was worried about the loudness wars ruining all the dynamic range, so I got it on vinyl.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's no problem with writing about the same subject, especially if it's how you're feeling at that time. I find that forcing myself to come up with something musically, in a certain direction, doesn't tend to result in anything decent... What naturally comes is what you have to go with.

Looking back at some of your older ones and they're just as good :) I like 'Sunset' and 'Life Is Fragile'.

I imagine different people might have different views on that but I do tend to be too self conscious and your certainly right that you have to go with how you feel at the time.

• Options
    Glawster2002Glawster2002 Posts: 15,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mrkite77 wrote: »
    The newest LP I own is Delta Spirit's self-titled album. Released in 2012.

http://www.amazon.com/Delta-Spirit/dp/B0072X2NOY

I bought it for this song:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Va0ezWC2du4

and I was worried about the loudness wars ruining all the dynamic range, so I got it on vinyl.

The newest LP I own isn't released until next month!! Katatonia's Last Fair Day Gone Night... And it's a proper triple album too!!!! :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone else surprised by this? maybe its just me

It's just you.

This is like Tulisa on the X Factor saying she didn't know who Aretha Franklin was.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jackbell wrote: »
    It's just you.

This is like Tulisa on the X Factor saying she didn't know who Aretha Franklin was.

I don't think thats a fair comparison. I was born in the early 80s so I didn't have a great awareness of technology then, as I was older when I got my first music player and the technology had moved on by then...I presumed cassettes had been around for longer - I also thought of, or presumed, vinyl as being a format that was primarily used around the 40s-70s but ive been aware of big name artists for a long time. I've certainly known who Aretha Franklin was for a long time.

I imagine there are other people born in the early to mid 80s who might not realise vinyl was popular for so long either. Maybe my memory isn't the best but all the same.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jackbell wrote: »
    It's just you.

It's nothing like that. There's no need to be rude! I'm sure there are plenty of people unaware of the popularity of vinyl in the '90s and recently. It's not exactly the top of the list of pushed formats. Though it's popularity is on the increase and has been for years.