Options

Greatest Villain

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 38
Forum Member
I searched first but couldn't find anything on this so excuse me if it has already been discussed.

The BBC are running a poll to vote for who the ultimate Doctor Who villain is. They have slowly revealed the nominees and now the poll is up at http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/doctorwho/articles/Vote-Now-for-Doctor-Whos-Ultimate-Villain

Now I can understand most but some of these just don't scream ultimate villain to me the 10 nominees are.

The Cybermen - undoubtably a contender
The Daleks - see above
The Silence - I can see a strenious point made due to how important they have been recently i guess
The Master - undoubtably a contender too
The Silurians - can understand this inclusion
The Ood - Don't get this one at all
The Judoon - get this one even less
The Ice Warriors - definite contender
The Weeping Angels - modern classic understand their inclusion
The Clockwork Droids - nope sorry don't get this one

Where are the Sea Devils? the Sontarans? the Autons? and others more deserving?

Comments

• Options
    JethrykJethryk Posts: 1,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fallucas wrote: »
    I searched first but couldn't find anything on this so excuse me if it has already been discussed.

The BBC are running a poll to vote for who the ultimate Doctor Who villain is. They have slowly revealed the nominees and now the poll is up at http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/doctorwho/articles/Vote-Now-for-Doctor-Whos-Ultimate-Villain

Now I can understand most but some of these just don't scream ultimate villain to me the 10 nominees are.

The Cybermen - undoubtably a contender
    The Daleks - see above
    The Silence - I can see a strenious point made due to how important they have been recently i guess
    The Master - undoubtably a contender too
    The Silurians - can understand this inclusion
    The Ood - Don't get this one at all
    The Judoon - get this one even less
    The Ice Warriors - definite contender
    The Weeping Angels - modern classic understand their inclusion
    The Clockwork Droids - nope sorry don't get this one

Where are the Sea Devils? the Sontarans? the Autons? and others more deserving?

Am with you on this.
    Also baring in mind Web of Fear's return The Yeti could have been included.
  • Options
    CoalHillJanitorCoalHillJanitor Posts: 15,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And the Great Intelligence would seem another glaring omission, as prominent as it's been this year.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 66
    Forum Member
    I agree, but as the Daleks will win it doesnt matter. The rest are just cannon fodder. That is why I didnt follow the thing. Thanks for saying the poll is up. Im just going to vote for the Daleks :D
  • Options
    adams66adams66 Posts: 3,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some bizarre nominations there - shoehorned in just to include some recent monsters - I mean really - Judoon? Ood? These two aren't even baddies let alone the ultimate villains. Weeping Angels are arguably the only post 2005 monster to deserve a place in the ultimate villain hall of fame.

But I can't believe that there are no Sontarans, no Nestenes, no GI, no Black Guardian and, astonishingly, no Omega!

But, as tastytangerine has said, the Daleks will win, and so they should. They've been here all along, never wavering in their evil-ness and all round monstrousness. Rightly or wrongly, for most people, the Daleks are as much part of Doctor Who as, well, the Doctor himself.
  • Options
    johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    It's a shame they've only included monsters from the modern era. The Ood are a great race, but they're emphatically not villains. And the Ice Warriors are borderline.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,836
    Forum Member
    It's a shame they've only included monsters from the modern era. The Ood are a great race, but they're emphatically not villains. And the Ice Warriors are borderline.

I think the ice warriors definitely qualify as villains.

This is the type of thing that myself and many classic fans of DW object to and find grating - having discussions about best evr/greatest/etc dw moments/villains/episodes yet the content largely or wholly ignores the classic series.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Davros should have been on that list!
  • Options
    LivingDestinyLivingDestiny Posts: 714
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was willing to bet my life on Sontarans being the final nominee! Judoon and Clockword Droids should be swapped for Sontarans and Davros!
  • Options
    AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    Very bizarre list I have to say, and showing an almost total disregard for the villains still exclusively from the Classic series... a shame, especially given this is the 50th year.

I bet it will come down between the Daleks and the Weeping Angels (I think the latter stand a fighting chance, given how Nu-Who the poll is oriented). I myself shall vote for the Daleks - the Angels are great, but have featured in one story that had no Doctor, one story that ended up being more about the crack in the universe and one story that was all about companions leaving. I say they need a solid story about themselves before being anywhere near as good as the Daleks - I still think the Series 9 finale with or without Moffat would be a good place for them :)
  • Options
    andersqandersq Posts: 44
    Forum Member
    The Ood and Judoon are not really villains. Don't know why the Clockwork Droids are there. Davros and the Sontarans should have been on that list.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 66
    Forum Member
    Davros should have been on that list!

That is exactly what I thought when I read it. I still t:hink that the Daleks will win but think Davros should have been seperate and would have come second. On a personal note I would have voted for Davros had he been there.

Really makes me wonder whether the guy who is/was taking legal action that he invented Davros has something to do with this.
  • Options
    Dave-HDave-H Posts: 9,940
    Forum Member
    andersq wrote: »
    The Ood and Judoon are not really villains. Don't know why the Clockwork Droids are there. Davros and the Sontarans should have been on that list.
    Quite agree. They would certainly have qualified for a list of "greatest monsters", or even better "greatest creatures", but villains?
    Certainly not!
    :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 38
    Forum Member
    As did most i assume, i voted Daleks. One thing we can all be thankful for is that at least the Slitheen weren't included though they'd make more sense as villains then the Ood or Judoon.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 983
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rubbish list, it hasn't even got Michael Grade on it.
  • Options
    ShoppyShoppy Posts: 1,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's obvious who the greatest Doctor Who villain of all time is...

Narrow it down to the big three...

The Master has the character but not the firepower,

The Cybermen have the numbers but they don't have a leader with character,

Which leaves the Daleks, a cold, menacing, engineered race who at least have the defence that they were made that way, unlike their creator DAVROS.

He's got the classic villain characteristics of the Master but he never wavers, he's unflinchingly evil and on top of that he MADE the Daleks .... what kind of a sick b******d would do that?

The Master's got style but there's no-one can beat Davros for plain old nasty!
  • Options
    Tom TitTom Tit Posts: 2,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jethryk wrote: »
    Am with you on this.
    Also baring in mind Web of Fear's return The Yeti could have been included.

F@~* those stupid budgerigar lookalike Yetis, the return of Web of Fear shows us that The Great Intelligence is one of the greatest Doctor Who villains. That final episode is chilling. I was blown away by it.

And his recent excellent return courtesy of Moffat just cements it.
  • Options
    PointyPointy Posts: 1,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tom Tit wrote: »
    F@~* those stupid budgerigar lookalike Yetis, the return of Web of Fear shows us that The Great Intelligence is one of the greatest Doctor Who villains. That final episode is chilling. I was blown away by it.

And his recent excellent return courtesy of Moffat just cements it.

Yep, it's always been about The Great Intelligence, NOT The Yetis for me.
  • Options
    chuffnobblerchuffnobbler Posts: 10,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Clockwork Droids?

Judoon?

:rolleyes:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 983
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And no Adipose either!
  • Options
    sebbie3000sebbie3000 Posts: 5,188
    Forum Member
    It does seem like a strange list, what with it being full of NuWho appearers only. But the poll is for a programme on BBC3, and the demographics of that channel are Under 18s - 24yr olds. They won't be as aware of the classic monsters, so the list is aimed towards them. It's not for 'us'.

I'm not saying all of that audience will be unaware, but the majority won't. Whether we like it or not, that's who the list, and ultimately the show, is aimed at. I hope they take the opportunity to use classic clips to show off the monsters/villains that were also around then. That would at least give the audience exposure to the history.
  • Options
    AxtolAxtol Posts: 8,480
    Forum Member
    Is the GI in the Web of Fear meant to be one of the timestream fragments of the one in NoTD? I am, as always when I make the mistake of trying to understand Moffat's grand plans, confused. If this is the case I would say that the GI is up there for the amount of damage he/it has retroactively down to The Doctor but I think the Weeping Angels are the greatest villains.