Options

How many/big Avi per DVD???

2»

Comments

• Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When encoding video, I always used the bitrate option rather than the size option, because I feel that choosing the size option limits/stops the film being given the quality that it needed.
  • Options
    JethroUKJethroUK Posts: 6,107
    Forum Member
    deleted
  • Options
    redtuxredtux Posts: 1,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jittlov wrote: »
    The only way to do that would be to encode in VCD format (1150 kbit/sec MPEG1 352x288, 48Khz 192k audio), which is part of the DVD standard.
    VCD size yes, everything else mpeg2. Remember 352x288 is a DVD standard size (PAL). There are several other things you can do to limit degradation.

That might be fine if you like VHS quality and you watch it on a small screen, on large LCD TV it would be like watching a bad Youtube video.

Well all my DVDs are done at 352x288 and to me look fine on my 32 inch CRT.

Its a compromise between quality and convenience.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    redtux wrote: »

The quality's different on a CRT than it is with LCD. I compared the two after playing an encoded video I'd done ages ago.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD-Video#Frame_size_and_frame_rate
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,502
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    The quality's different on a CRT than it is with LCD. I compared the two after playing an encoded video I'd done ages ago.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD-Video#Frame_size_and_frame_rate

True, the picture is naturally much sharper on an LCD TV than on a domestic CRT, and macro-blocking from a poorly encoded source will stick out like a sore thumb.

I never realised just how poor Freeview was until I got my first LCD TV.
  • Options
    pocatellopocatello Posts: 8,813
    Forum Member
    redtux wrote: »

No way, that is watching the lowest grade youtube video on a 32". Convenience? You watch film all day? There is a reason no one cares about a video ipod, no one watches jukebox movies for days at a time.