Options

Alternatives to the Now Music Compilations...

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,486
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Maybe it's my age, but all those pop-dance-R&B tunes occupying the tracklisting of the latest Now compilation has got me wondering about the alternatives on sale offering far, far fewer tracks of the hybrid genres above. Artists such as Adele, Ellie Goulding, Noah & the Whale etc.

Can anyone suggest a compilation with a more laid-back, mature sound?

Comments

• Options
    Simon RodgersSimon Rodgers Posts: 4,693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Katherine wrote: »
    Maybe it's my age, but all those pop-dance-R&B tunes occupying the tracklisting of the latest Now compilation has got me wondering about the alternatives on sale offering far, far fewer tracks of the hybrid genres above. Artists such as Adele, Ellie Goulding, Noah & the Whale etc.

Well I thought the idea was that they would be fiulled up with chart topping records. If pop-dance-R&B tunes were mainly dominating the charts that's the sort of thing you can expect on the compilations.

There's no easy way around it I'm afrraid. Unless you get people to buy other types of record or you buy compilations of other chart music, like classical or country, etc.
  • Options
    Dr. LinusDr. Linus Posts: 6,445
    Forum Member
    Isn't there that "The Anthems" CD that comes out every year? Tends to include the more rock/indie side of the year, but obviously it's far less frequent so there's a lot of stuff missed.

It depends what kind of music you're into I suppose. If you really want to treat yourself to a bundle of assorted new music every few months you could try some of the iTunes Essentials packages, some of them are really good, and quite a bargain for how much you're getting.

P.S. You have awesome taste in music. Gold star for you.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can get some easy listening albums released for Mother's/Father's Day, Valentine's Day and summer time etc; They usually contain less dancey music.
  • Options
    PaparazzoPaparazzo Posts: 6,155
    Forum Member
    cm1992 wrote: »
    You can get some easy listening albums released for Mother's/Father's Day, Valentine's Day and summer time etc; They usually contain less dancey music.

Summer is always packed with dance music.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Paparazzo wrote: »
    Summer is always packed with dance music.

I wasn't talking about Clubland or Ministry Of Sound though. They always have some American anthem albums out at that time.
  • Options
    elnombreelnombre Posts: 3,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Read about artists you love. Find out who they were inspired by. Go on iTunes and listen to the 30 second/90 second samples. Buy it if you like it. If you don't like it, forget it. You've wasted 6 minutes. Instead of ten quid.
  • Options
    TomGrantTomGrant Posts: 4,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dr. Linus wrote: »

P.S. You have awesome taste in music. Gold star for you.

Based on Adele, Ellie Goulding and Noah & The Whale?!
  • Options
    Dr. LinusDr. Linus Posts: 6,445
    Forum Member
    TomGrant wrote: »
    Based on Adele, Ellie Goulding and Noah & The Whale?!

Yes! All opinion obviously, but I love all of them (and my Adele worship is well documented :o)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Katherine wrote: »

Also, it appears that all 3 artists you mentioned are on CD1 of Now 78...

Bruno Mars - Grenade
    Adele - Rolling In The Deep
    Jessie J - Do It Like A Dude
    Rihanna - S&M
    Ke$ha - We R Who We R
    The Wanted - Gold Forever
    Matt Cardle - When We Collide
    Take That - The Flood
    Ellie Goulding - Your Song
    JLS feat. Tinie Tempah - Eyes Wide Shut
    David Guetta feat. Rihanna - Who's That Chick?
    Taio Cruz feat. Travie McCoy - Higher
    Chris Brown - Yeah 3X
    Britney Spears - Hold It Against Me
    Alexis Jordan - Happiness
    Parade - Louder
    Olly Murs - Thinking Of Me
    Avril Lavigne - What The Hell
    McFly feat. Taio Cruz - Shine A Light
    Noah And The Whale - L.I.F.E.G.O.E.S.O.N.
    Comic Relief pts. Susan Boyle & Geraldine McQueen - I Know Him So Well
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dr. Linus wrote: »
    Yes! All opinion obviously, but I love all of them (and my Adele worship is well documented :o)

Fair enough :)
  • Options
    bodderzbodderz Posts: 1,245
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    if you have spotify I suggest trying out the excellent sharemyplaylists.com - do away with corporate compilations and listen to your own personal one :)
  • Options
    batman.batman. Posts: 8,906
    Forum Member
    cm1992 wrote: »
    I wasn't talking about Clubland or Ministry Of Sound though. They always have some American anthem albums out at that time.

Somehow I doubt Ellie Goulding or Adele will feature on an American Anthem compilation CD.
  • Options
    StigOfTheKrumpStigOfTheKrump Posts: 36,363
    Forum Member
    batman. wrote: »
    Somehow I doubt Ellie Goulding or Adele will feature on an American Anthem compilation CD.

Or Noah & The Whale (yep, they're English) :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    batman. wrote: »

I didn't mean that. I meant you can get compilation albums with different themes. Like you can get Top Gear albums, love song albums, RnB albums, American anthem albums, power ballad albums............

Catch my drift?