Options

Alicia Keys Earns Fifth No. 1 Album on Billboard 200 Chart with 159K in sales

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,106
Forum Member
✭✭✭
http://www.billboard.com/news/alicia-keys-earns-fifth-no-1-album-on-billboard-1008037752.story#/news/alicia-keys-earns-fifth-no-1-album-on-billboard-1008037752.story

To be honest, it's actually quite disappointing even though its good to sell 159,000 today's era but for someone like Alicia Keys she should've sold more than that. Even her last era that was either a flop or so-so success sold 417K and it didn't debut at No.1. I know her popularity isn't anywhere near Beyonce's but she was/is as good of an album seller as Beyonce is but I guess not this time.

Rihanna's opening week sales were higher than Alicia's as RiRi earned 238K. This week Ri got 72K.

Comments

• Options
    LandslideBradLandslideBrad Posts: 5,085
    Forum Member
    Is Alicia Keys' new album any good? I haven't checked it out yet.
  • Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's not her best album but that's low for even alicia keys. Oh well. It should go GOLD at least and bag her a few grammy noms.
  • Options
    iseloidiseloid Posts: 9,392
    Forum Member
    SOOO Happy for her. I thought she'd miss it. Low sales but then sales are atrocious now.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,058
    Forum Member
    The music industry is really going through a crisis, isn't it? Her last album opened with almost 400k copies sold iirc. And Ke$ha is projected to sell 80k next week...Wow! I hope album sales bounce back soon.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    80k is ok for Kesha. She isn't the type of artist to sell millions of albums. Plus you need to remember that she hasn't had a monster hit on this album. Tik Tok was huge, which led to interest in buying her debut.
  • Options
    Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://www.billboard.com/news/alicia-keys-earns-fifth-no-1-album-on-billboard-1008037752.story#/news/alicia-keys-earns-fifth-no-1-album-on-billboard-1008037752.story

To be honest, it's actually quite disappointing even though its good to sell 159,000 today's era but for someone like Alicia Keys she should've sold more than that. Even her last era that was either a flop or so-so success sold 417K and it didn't debut at No.1. I know her popularity isn't anywhere near Beyonce's but she was/is as good of an album seller as Beyonce is but I guess not this time.

Rihanna's opening week sales were higher than Alicia's as RiRi earned 238K. This week Ri got 72K.

Alicia has always been a bigger album seller than Beyonce only have to look at the overall stats to see that. And albums sales are exceptionally low at the moment but agreed for someone like Alicia it should be no issue especially this close to xmas i mean 159k is nothing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    80k is ok for Kesha. She isn't the type of artist to sell millions of albums. Plus you need to remember that she hasn't had a monster hit on this album. Tik Tok was huge, which led to interest in buying her debut.
    Her debut sold twice as much back when she wasn't well known apart from one song! And this time she had amazing promotion too. I expected at least 6-digit sales. I also expected at least 200k for Alicia. 'TEOF' sold 400k with no promo and 2 flop singles, while 'Girl on Fire' is almost top 20 on Billboard and had tons of promo. It's an industry crisis in general tbh. I hope both albums pick up in the long run. :cool:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do not think the music industry is in a crisis at all. Kesha's lack of progression is what I reckon has harmed the sales, and Alicia, well she is a respected acclaimed musician, but her album sales decrease with each album. Also many people still regarding her Songs in A minor album as an album she has failed to match.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I do not think the music industry is in a crisis at all. Kesha's lack of progression is what I reckon has harmed the sales, and Alicia, well she is a respected acclaimed musician, but her album sales decrease with each album. Also many people still regarding her Songs in A minor album as an album she has failed to match.
    'Songs in A Minor' was amazing and more soulful than the rest of her work. It's her commercial peak, no doubt, but as a fan, -not of her current album, but of her as an artist-, I think 'Diary' and 'TEOF' were more creative and risky than her debut. Her new album is not good though imo. I hope its lukewarm reception -despite the massive promo- encourages her to change her sound drastically for album #6 :cool:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I actually found this album a throwback to her earlier music, which is why It didn't hit the spot with me but still expected her past fans to want to come back to this. Songs in A minor for me never and still doesn't the hit the spot for me but I can see why it has maintained a masterpiece tag on it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's interesting to read the different reactions to this album. I love Alicia's first two albums and have found her albums since to be inconsistent and very safe bar a few standout tracks. That said, I'm really enjoying Girl on Fire, much more than I thought given that I hate the lead in single, and IMO it's her most consistent album since Diary Of.

I would have expected her to sell more in her first week especially as the single has been so big and the album has been getting positive reviews from a number of sources. As little-monster said, her sales are decreasing with every release, something which is to be expected with an artist who's now a decade into their career, and album sales have been fairly dire this year so those are factors but nonetheless that's a significant decrease since her last album. It'll be interesting to see how it fares in the long-run.
  • Options
    LilNikki1987LilNikki1987 Posts: 261
    Forum Member
    As a massive Alicia Keys fan it is slightly disappointing to hear there's been a decrease in sales but as someone mentioned she is a decade into her career and music sales overall have been quite poor.

Regarding the new album I love it and can hear bits from all her albums previous on this one, I find it difficult to pick a favourite track as it changes each time :). What are everyone else's favourite tracks from the new album?

Nikki :)