The Ratings Thread (Part 61)

Comments

• yorkie100yorkie100 Posts: 9,372
    Forum Member
    pjh8 wrote: »
    This.Strictly literally has no presence on social media unlike X Factor.You just need to look at X Factor's collosal youtube views or twitter followers of contestants for example Ella Henderson's rendition of Believe getting 27 million views or James Arthur having 36 million views on his audition and 72 million on his winner's song,both from a series that got around 8/9 million viewers weekly.When would a Strictly performance ever get them amount of views on youtube?

Who cares and what relevance does it have to ratings or anything else for that matter?
  • FuddFudd Posts: 166,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SamuelW wrote: »
    8m + is of course very good in general in this day and age. But my main points are that:

1. XF has been shedding viewers every Saturday so far therefore it looks like viewers watching it haven't enjoyed it too much of
    2. XF is rating down year on year despite the return of Cowell and Cole. That's not ideal given the hype surrounding their return
    3. The worst is yet to come for XF once it starts facing SCD

And if you'd just said that in that manner at the start the level of response probably would have been calmer. ;) And I probably should have done the same. :blush::D
  • JetsonJetson Posts: 13,274
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yorkie100 wrote: »
    Who cares and what relevance does it have to ratings or anything else for that matter?
    Eyeballs on screens?

It's not the be all and end all but it's good promotion and increases awareness of the show.
  • SamuelWSamuelW Posts: 8,447
    Forum Member
    James J wrote: »
    You don't know that for sure. This could be Strictly's equivalent of X Factor post-Cowell in 2011.

My Mum hates XF but watches Strictly but told me she switched off the launch show as it was "too over the top" and she thinks the show "has an arrogance to it" - her words, not mine. She finds Tess Daly annoying and thinks Forsyth being replaced by "nearly as annoying" Winkleman isn't a great move. She says she might tune in casually though.

I don't discuss TV with her, certainly not my views on it or the extent of them, so it was interesting to me that she said that.
    I can't guarantee anything. But SCD has much weaker opposition than what XF faces and it has a better slot. So I think it is very likely SCD will continue to rule the ratings. In recent years, SCD clashes have shaved off about 0.5m+ from XF. A couple weeks ago XF rated about 0.7m lower than other Sunday episodes this series. So I think it is very likely that the SCD overlaps will continu3 to harm XF this autumn.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't guarantee anything. But SCD has much weaker opposition than what XF faces and it has a better slot. So I think it is very likely SCD will continue to rule the ratings. In recent years, SCD clashes have shaved off about 0.5m+ from XF. A couple weeks ago XF rated about 0.7m lower than other Sunday episodes this series. So I think it is very likely that the SCD overlaps will continu3 to harm XF this autumn.
    We shall see. :)

I think it was quite well known last year's Strictly was the last one for Bruce Forsyth, so perhaps viewers flocked to experience him one last time. I wouldn't be surprised to see it drop year on year now he's gone. He was the star of the show.

And if Simon Cowell works his (to some people, evil :D) magic on the X Factor live shows and gets his expert PR team to generate loads of controversy, judge stuff and "idols" in the live shows, the tides could (not to say definitely) well turn.

We don't know and that's the beauty of it.
  • Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fudd wrote: »
    After all I said, interesting mention of Bake Off. Despite The X Factor's 'woes' (and despite my criticism I use that word very loosely) it's still outrating it despite the easier time Bake Off is getting in terms of opposition. Though this week includes +1 to manage that feat.

Speaking of scheduling I'm not sure why ITV have been gifting Who are half hour head start. I don't think that's helping the year-on-year comparisons with the first 15 minutes being dragged down. If they extended the show to 90 minutes (only 10 minutes more) they could have started it at 7.30pm and still kept Keyhole in the post watershed slot.

Its all about context. Bake Off has come from a BBC2 launch with a hope of 3 million or so to a BBC1 8 million beast. Wholly unexpected imo. XF has gone in the other direction from its astounding peaks and averages pre Barlow to where it is now. Its probably wrong to say a show with 8 million plus is struggling(as I said before its a brilliant figure these days) but in the context of where it once was, that kind of point may be legitimate if it continues to lose viewers(albeit marginally).
    Forum Member

I think it was quite well known last year's Strictly was the last one for Bruce Forsyth, so perhaps viewers flocked to experience him one last time. I wouldn't be surprised to see it drop year on year now he's gone. He was the star of the show.

And if Simon Cowell works his (to some people, evil :D) magic on the X Factor live shows and gets his expert PR team to generate loads of controversy, judge stuff and "idols" in the live shows, the tides could (not to say definitely) well turn.

Yes nothing is a guarantee with ratings and sometimes there are freaky anomaly ratings like that cilla rating. But given that we have had 4 weeks worth of XF ratings this series, And the ratings trajectory it is currently experiencing,
    I would say it is extremely likely SCD will beat XF and probably dent it's figures. Not a guarantee but very likely imo.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Chris1964 wrote: »
    Its all about context. Bake Off has come from a BBC2 launch with a hope of 3 million or so to a BBC1 8 million beast. Wholly unexpected imo. XF has gone in the other direction from its astounding peaks and averages pre Barlow to where it is now. Its probably wrong to say a show with 8 million plus is struggling but in the context of where it once was, that kind of point may be legitimate if it continues to lose viewers(albeit marginally).

But X Factor began with 5.25m for S1 E1, similarly as modest as Bake Off began.

Within a few years, X Factor was hitting 11 million for its launch shows, 15 million for live show results, eye-boggling peaks and over 17 million for its final results, a staggering rate of growth just like Bake Off's. All good shows build audiences and hit dizzying peaks before plateauing and declining. It's nothing new.

Bake Off will one day decline as well just as The Apprentice and other successful weekly reality formats on BBC1 and other channels have.
    Yes nothing is a guarantee with ratings and sometimes there are freaky anomaly ratings like that cilla rating. But given that we have had 4 weeks worth of XF ratings this series, And the ratings trajectory it is currently experiencing,
    I would say it is extremely likely SCD will beat XF and probably dent it's figures. Not a guarantee but very likely imo.

The real signs will be in place from next weekend, and truly when X Factor hits the lives, the nights have drawn well in and the clocks change in about 4 weeks (typically game-on time for TV and the Autumn/Winter wars).

I think XF has a good chance this year, its best shot since 2010 as I've said before. Not to say it DEFINITELY will, as it could easily drop or more likely remain roughly flat. But it could easily happen. No Bruce on the BBC, Mr Cowell on ITV.

A different game.
  • bitchboybluebitchboyblue Posts: 2,774
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just reading the bizarre news that Donny Osmand is joining the SCD panel for several episodes as a *special* one-off judge. My first thought is this is a slight panic move as a way to ensure their more elderly audience sticks with the show. The contestants this year are quite young, and I guess there is a danger that some might drift away. Is that probably the reason??
  • rr22rr22 Posts: 7,618
    Forum Member

Yeah not sure "Bruce" was the "Star of the show" the format is what carries the programme not the presenters. It unlikely his departure will have any change on how its watched.
  • yorkie100yorkie100 Posts: 9,372
    Forum Member
    Eyeballs on screens?

It's not the be all and end all but it's good promotion and increases awareness of the show.

But it is irrelevant in ratings terms.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yorkie100 wrote: »
    But it is irrelevant in ratings terms.

Not 100% sure how millions of YouTube views promoting a programme's content is "irrelevant" to that programme's exposure and thus ratings. :confused: I would argue without these highly-watched YouTube videos XF would be posting a lower figure.

If they were irrelevant to the ratings ITV wouldn't spend loads of time uploading them.
    johnnymc wrote: »
    Yeah not sure "Bruce" was the "Star of the show" the format is what carries the programme not the presenters. It unlikely his departure will have any change on how its watched.
    Wishful thinking? :)

I think he has a big impact. Also the contestants too, but this year's flock are very young and "hip", which may alienate the core audience of oldies.

"I miss Brucey. It's not the same. Who are all these kids?"
    Forum Member

I think he has a big impact. Also the contestants too, but this year's flock are very young and "hip", which may alienate the core audience of oldies.

None of that will happen. His departure is likely to strengthen the shows ratings. He alienated part of the audience. His departure is a gift to the programme, not a negative.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    None of that will happen. His departure is likely to strengthen the shows ratings. He alienated part of the audience. His departure is a gift to the programme, not a negative.
    Definitely wishful thinking IMO. :D Here's to hoping Johnny ;)

Personally I think some viewers will feel there's something missing. It will hold up like XF did the year after Cowell left but I think it's heading into a down phase now longer term.
    Forum Member

I have just sat down for 45mins and done statistical analysis of Strictly Come Dancing's ratings history. What it shows is that Strictly has never ever lost more than 4pct of its audience from one series to the next. Not even the 2009 series, which many consider to have been a disaster, lost more than 4pct compared to 2008.

What is proves is that the Strictly audience are very loyal. About 50pct of SCD's audience are aged over 55, these are loyal viewers who are unlikely to flick over to other channels or programs. If you sit down and imagine that you're a core SCD viewer - a 60 year old middle class female from Middle England who has been watching SCD for 7+ years. Why on earth would you decide to tune over to Itv's alternative programming of Take Me Out or cheap gameshows? It just aint gonna happen. Even if Strictly isnt as good quality wise this year as previous years, the alternative programs on offer are just not good enough to tempt away the core SCD audience. People will settle with watching SCD even if it's not as good as before rather than switching over.

As Michael Grade once said, if you attract the OAPs, you will win the ratings. This is proven true by BBC One's recent strategy of trying to appeal to OAPs which has led to BBC1's average viewer age rising from 53 to 59 in the last 5 years, but also BBC1's ratings share increasing too. The OAPs are very powerful from a mass ratings perspective. SCD is an OAP babe magnet.
    Forum Member

Honestly James, I was really relieved to hear he was stepping down, if anything it will help the programme that he is not there anymore. It couldn't have gone on with him on it. He would loose focus in it. :) best thing for the survival of "Strictly" that is definately not a concern or wishful thinking!! ;)
    Forum Member

Personally I think some viewers will feel there's something missing. It will hold up like XF did the year after Cowell left but I think it's heading into a down phase now longer term.

No it looks stronger than ever to me from the launch show. You can get an idea how the series will shape up. What viewers are buying into is its feel good effect. The dancers at the beginning of the show are all very much part of how successful it has become. Artem leaving will have a more negative effect on the show than Bruce Forsyth. "Strictly" isn't over reliant on one particular thing so if someone leaves its not the end of the format. The format itself is the key, rather like "Who" I guess. It could run for years.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have just sat down for 45mins and done statistical analysis of Strictly Come Dancing's ratings history. What it shows is that Strictly has never ever lost more than 4pct of its audience from one series to the next.

It's never lost its veteran host from one series to the next, either. Neither too did X Factor drop from one series to the next when it had Cowell there, for years and years until 2011 when he left.

But now he's back - and Bruce is gone!
    About 50pct of SCD's audience are aged over 55, these are loyal viewers who are unlikely to flick over to other channels or programs

These loyal over-55s will likely see Bruce's complete departure as a sign the show has lost some of its charm and warmth.
    If you sit down and imagine that you're a core SCD viewer - a 60 year old middle class female from Middle England who has been watching SCD for 7+ years.

The same demographic you lump onto Coronation Street (and resultingly Good Morning Britain, as per your post the other day? :D)
    Why on earth would you decide to tune over to Itv's alternative programming of Take Me Out or cheap gameshows? It just aint gonna happen.
    Who's to say they'll switch over? They might just switch off.
    As Michael Grade once said, if you attract the OAPs, you will win the ratings.

And if you don't attract younger viewers, you're laying no foundations for the future of the show. Not to mention attracting OAPs is easy and fine for the BBC who don't need to appeal to advertisers looking to attract non-OAPs.
    This is proven true by BBC One's recent strategy of trying to appeal to OAPs which has led to BBC1's average viewer age rising from 53 to 59 in the last 5 years, but also BBC1's ratings share increasing too. The OAPs are very powerful from a mass ratings perspective. SCD is an OAP babe magnet.

BBC One's recent "cop out" strategy of appealing to OAPs so it can inflate its viewing figures and relax without any stress about demographics for advertising.

The fact that OAPs are so powerful from a mass ratings perspective, their fellow "OAP" host and veteran broadcaster having quit the show and the new line-up being worryingly young-skewing, means Strictly could well have a problem this year.

To most young people, X Factor is much "cooler" than Strictly and always will be, despite X Factor being one of those "guilty pleasures" to the coolest of younger viewers these days. So I don't even think the younger cast this year will help in the other direction (making it an attractive younger-skewing show).
  • aberdaberdonianaberdaberdonian Posts: 241
    Forum Member
    But X Factor began with 5.25m for S1 E1, similarly as modest as Bake Off began.

Within a few years, X Factor was hitting 11 million for its launch shows, 15 million for live show results, eye-boggling peaks and over 17 million for its final results, a staggering rate of growth just like Bake Off's. All good shows build audiences and hit dizzying peaks before plateauing and declining. It's nothing new.

Bake Off will one day decline as well just as The Apprentice and other successful weekly reality formats on BBC1 and other channels have.

The real signs will be in place from next weekend, and truly when X Factor hits the lives, the nights have drawn well in and the clocks change in about 4 weeks (typically game-on time for TV and the Autumn/Winter wars).

I think XF has a good chance this year, its best shot since 2010 as I've said before. Not to say it DEFINITELY will, as it could easily drop or more likely remain roughly flat. But it could easily happen. No Bruce on the BBC, Mr Cowell on ITV.

A different game.

I think the fact that we have reached the point where we are comparing the x-factor with the British bake off just seems so bizarre. :p Who would have thought we would in this situation where a competition about the sedate World of baking would be challenging one about the far more sexy world of music and celebrity in the ratings.

While undoubtedly bake off is certainly punching above its weight, I can't help concluding the x-factor ratings are a bit 'meh'. I think itv would certainly have been hoping for the cowell/cole combo to have a much more positive effect on the ratings. But maybe this will happen in the live programmes. We will have to wait a see.
    Forum Member
    It's never lost its veteran host from one series to the next, either. Neither too did X Factor drop from one series to the next when it had Cowell there, for years and years until 2011 when he left.

But now he's back - and Bruce is gone!

These loyal over-55s will likely see Bruce's complete departure as a sign the show has lost some of its charm and warmth.

The same demographic you lump onto Coronation Street (and resultingly Good Morning Britain, as per your post the other day? :D)

Who's to say they'll switch over? They might just switch off.

And if you don't attract younger viewers, you're laying no foundations for the future of the show. Not to mention attracting OAPs is easy and fine for the BBC who don't need to appeal to advertisers looking to attract non-OAPs.

BBC One's recent "cop out" strategy of appealing to OAPs so it can inflate its viewing figures and relax without any stress about demographics for advertising.

The fact that OAPs are so powerful from a mass ratings perspective, their fellow "OAP" host and veteran broadcaster having quit the show and the new line-up being worryingly young-skewing, means Strictly could well have a problem this year.

None of that is going to have an effect on it! Its a bonus that its a young line up. Most viewers will fancy Thom or Pixie whether you are 17 or 70. It won't matter. And Bruce going is a godsend for the ratings.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The BBC is determined to make it a festive Christmas – with a schedule full of comedy specials.

Bosses have decided to lighten the mood and concentrate on fun and laughs in a bid to thrash rival channel ITV in the ratings war.

They are determined that for once the gloom and doom of EastEnders will not dominate the airwaves.

BBC1’s £240,000-a-year controller Charlotte Moore has masterminded the switch to more cheery programmes.

A highlight will be a special episode of last year’s festive ratings topper Mrs Brown’s Boys, which attracted nearly 10million viewers.

Miranda Hart’s show Miranda and Citizen Khan will also feature.

Britain’s two biggest stand-up comedians, Michael McIntyre and John Bishop, will front their own Christmas specials. And there will be festive editions of Not Going Out and Would I Lie to You?, starring *comedian Lee Mack.

A BBC source said: “This is Charlotte Moore’s first original Christmas schedule and she was keen to stamp her mark on it.

"She is very keen on the BBC entering into the festive spirit and lightening the mood. We want to appeal to the whole family and leave them with a happy feeling. Christmas should be a time of fun.”

Viewers can also expect specials of hit shows Doctor Who, Call the Midwife and Strictly Come Dancing.

EastEnders will feature but *Charlotte Moore has told producers she wants an explosive storyline but without the usual mayhem.

Our source said: “It is felt there has been too much emphasis on negative storylines. There is a feeling the show can still have a major impact without the gloom.”

Meanwhile veteran star Mary Berry, 79, will serve up her 12 Meals of Christmas.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/christmas-comedy-bbc-miranda-mrs-4295387

I love how they refer to it as a ratings "war" at Christmas. More like heavyweight boxer squaring up to a child. :D

One network puts all their eggs in one ad-free basket, the other doesn't even have the chicken to lay the eggs, let alone any eggs to distribute :p
    Forum Member
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/christmas-comedy-bbc-miranda-mrs-4295387

I love how they refer to it as a ratings "war" at Christmas. More like heavyweight boxer squaring up to a child. :D
    How is that more comedy!!
    That's no different to last year!!!

"Citizen Khan" a flop, " Michael McIntyre" a chat show flop, " Not Going Out" a flop. Odd they are pushing these shows.
  • FuddFudd Posts: 166,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How is that more comedy!!
    That's no different to last year!!!

"Citizen Khan" a flop, " Michael McIntyre" a chat show flop, " Not Going Out" a flop. Odd they are pushing these shows.

It doesn't sound much different to last year. Plus the one time EastEnders had a 'light' Christmas episode it was widely criticised.

I'm surprised Miranda hasn't been mentioned in the article - I thought she was writing a Christmas episode?

Personally I think they should air a Generation Game special on Christmas Day to give it some nice publicity. Maybe Sir Bruce Forsyth presenting it for the final time with Miranda and Patricia Hodge against Mrs. Brown and one of the sons. It might mean Bruce overload but I think Strictly could easily be moved to either Christmas Eve or Boxing Day.

Talking about the Christmas schedule in September... I'm so sorry... :blush:
  • C14EC14E Posts: 32,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lewiep93 wrote: »
    @TVRatingsUK: #TheXFactor drew 8.57m/40.1% last night, 260k down on last year's equivalent episode and 300k down on last week.

Let the bitching commence!

Oh my God... 300k? The world is at an end! ;-)

It's another OK rating, usually I'd say good but heading into the next couple of weeks of suicide scheduling a slight rise would have been nice. Weirdly it seems to be down to a big drop in the +1 audience this week (only 0.2m). Another improvement for the Sunday show this week would be nice ahead of Fridays impending disaster!
    Not in the fair excluding +1 figures, it didnt. How can you include +1 for XF and compare it to SCD which doesnt have a +1 channel to boost its figures?! It's ridiculous.

Yes because it makes total sense to include people who watched Strictly seven days later or on iPlayer (through TV) but not people who watched X Factor an hour later.
    Itv are spending more money on TXF so far this year compared to 2013 but the ratings are down 8pct. That's not a good situation to be in, Itv are making less money on this series compared to last year's.

It's amazing how you know so much about such a huge, wide ranging contract and the sponsorship/advertising sales at ITV at the moment... You have no idea how much money ITV are making off this series.
    Chris1964 wrote: »
    Its all about context. Bake Off has come from a BBC2 launch with a hope of 3 million or so to a BBC1 8 million beast. Wholly unexpected imo. XF has gone in the other direction from its astounding peaks and averages pre Barlow to where it is now. Its probably wrong to say a show with 8 million plus is struggling(as I said before its a brilliant figure these days) but in the context of where it once was, that kind of point may be legitimate if it continues to lose viewers(albeit marginally).

The scale of XF's success was also wholly unexpected. Who'd have said in 2004 that it would be getting those huge peaks in 2009/2010? In fact who'd have said XF would be getting 10m peaks 10 years later? Lets see what kind of numbers Bake Off is doing in series 11.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's XFactor lowest Saturday night share of the series so far.

but the most watched show by a mile. thought i just mention that, incase you'd forgotten. bbc1 figures woeful. thought i'd slip that in as well. ;-)
This discussion has been closed.