Sky broadband blocking Newzbin 2

bubblegunbubblegun Posts: 766
Forum Member
✭✭
I don't know if anyone cares but Sky are now blocking Newzbin 2 (along with BT) after receiving a court order to do so.

Comments

• alanmurray790alanmurray790 Posts: 17
    Forum Member
    What Sky broadband package are you with, is it connect ? If so they use BT's network, which means BT can block without their consent. BT blocked Newsbiz according to wikipedia this year due to copyright issues, so if you're with SKY Broadband connect, I think it'll be the same.
  • bubblegunbubblegun Posts: 766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What Sky broadband package are you with, is it connect ? If so they use BT's network, which means BT can block without their consent. BT blocked Newsbiz according to wikipedia this year due to copyright issues, so if you're with SKY Broadband connect, I think it'll be the same.

I have Virgin Media. Just letting people know about Sky.
  • mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Those are two separate bits of BT.

BT Wholesale operates the network you mention, which connects customers to their ISPs. They don't (and probably can't) filter anything on this network. If they were doing this, it would affect many more ISPs than just Sky and BT themselves.

There is another network, which BT also runs, which forms the basis of the internet service that BT (Retail) sell to their customers. They are blocking Newzbin on this network thanks to the court case. It only affects BT customers, and probably that of the Post Office (they resell the same service) and possibly Plusnet (since they're owned by BT).

I forget who brought the court case, but I seem to recall that they wanted to get ISPs to "voluntarily" block Newzbin too. Voluntarily, of course, otherwise they'll just sue the tits off them just like they did to BT.
  • Jimmy_McNultyJimmy_McNulty Posts: 11,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bubblegun wrote: »
    I have Virgin Media. Just letting people know about Sky.

Only way to go with the internet. VM have a rebellious policy when it comes to the internet.
  • bubblegunbubblegun Posts: 766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Only way to go with the internet. VM have a rebellious policy when it comes to the internet.

They'll block it too when they get the court order, don't fool yourself.

The real issue though would be if they blocked the usenet access where the actual files come from. Newzbin is just hosting text files that describe where the content is.
  • LION8TIGERLION8TIGER Posts: 8,484
    Forum Member
    moox wrote: »

I forget who brought the court case,

The usual suspects, the Motion Picture Association.
  • fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its being blocked here but is way to easy to get round.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,749
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Https works for me (instead of http)
  • Esot-ericEsot-eric Posts: 1,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bubblegun wrote: »
    I don't know if anyone cares but Sky are now blocking Newzbin 2 (along with BT) after receiving a court order to do so.

I care, but i can't find any information about this. In fact the only two references i can find are posts here and at SkyUser, both by you. If you could point me to a press release or news story about it i'd be grateful.

Are you sure it's a deliberate act? I did notice that Newzbin was inaccessible yesterday but assumed Sky had some kind of routing problem (a not uncommon occurrence on Sky) and it would be fixed at some point.

If true i'll have to bring forward my move to another ISP. Now that C&W have unbundled my exchange i was only waiting on one of the ISPs offering a deal on a free migration on a one month contract.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
  • Esot-ericEsot-eric Posts: 1,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's a shame. I don't understand why there's been nothing about it on the news. When BT blocked Newzbin news about it was everywhere.

Guess it's time to move ISP. Good job US TV is on a break right now. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    I think this could only be the start. Now the MPA have found a successful way of getting sites blocked it can only extend to other sites and ISP's now.
    I'm on Sky Unlimited and I've found a way to access the Newzbin website still but I'll need to give some more thought to how my automatic searches from Sickbeard and Couch Potato can get restored...ho hum..
  • shoestring25shoestring25 Posts: 4,715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    im on sky unlimited and https doesnt work for me ???
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 154
    Forum Member
    HAHA big joke..

they think they can Cenzor the INTERNET.. hahaha
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    They'll have to do better than that, you simply use a proxy bypass/avoidance site to get there. There's thousands of these sites on the Internet. Works a treat and i'm on Sky.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 430
    Forum Member
    Use 'Tor' hide yourself while you are online. google 'Tor'

What is Tor?
    Tor is free software and an open network that helps you defend against a form of network surveillance that threatens personal freedom and privacy, confidential business activities and relationships, and state security known as traffic analysis
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can get Firefox with built in Tor here:

https://www.torproject.org/projects/torbrowser.html.en

It's a stand alone app and wont overwrite your existing Firefox.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 30
    Forum Member
    ...yes, and when your bank, phone company, etc. block you from logging in or you get a TOR style profile then good luck doing anything.

If people were as resourceful with legal activities as they are with illegal ones then maybe they wouldn't need to pirate everything.

I applaud BT and Sky for their prompt compliance.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ...yes, and when your bank, phone company, etc. block you from logging in or you get a TOR style profile then good luck doing anything.

If people were as resourceful with legal activities as they are with illegal ones then maybe they wouldn't need to pirate everything.

Great first post. It's a load of rubbish but thanks for that.

ETA: lol at 'Tor profile'
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't use the service, but the fact that our country is getting ISPs to block certain parts of the internet is censorship and it is wrong, I am glad I don't any of the large ISPs.
    Forum Member
    Chocdoc wrote: »
    Great first post. It's a load of rubbish but thanks for that.

ETA: lol at 'Tor profile'

Trust me, if I saw you using Tor whilst logging into any of my services, I wouldn't let you log in again, no matter what.

Device ID and specifics are very good these days.
  • mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Quite frankly it is disturbing that the law allows for idiots like the MPA to block whatever sites they want on a whim.
    Forum Member
    Quite frankly it is disturbing that the law allows for idiots like the MPA to block whatever sites they want on a whim.

If parts of society can't be trusted to steal, then all of society pays.

Once again, I applaud them.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yeah, they're just completely childish! If they think they've won though, they're sadly mistaken. There's a LOAD of other sources to download from. They're just wasting money on court cases, that's all.
    Forum Member
    zx50 wrote: »
    Yeah, they're just completely childish! If they think they've won though, they're sadly mistaken. There's a LOAD of other sources to download from. They're just wasting money on court cases, that's all.

you think this is the end?

Its just the beginning!

Why don't you just stop stealing...?
This discussion has been closed.