Options

I need one GOOD reason to consider marriage

Graham MilesGraham Miles Posts: 207
Forum Member
The situation is:

I've been in a relationship with a wonderful women for 2yrs.

We get on really well, the sex is great she's 27 I'm 32 and we plan on having children in the near future.

We both see a very long future together and hope to get old together.

We are both employed and have very adequate dwellings.

Neither of us has a religious faith.

Now is there ANY reason for us to get married?

Of course it's our choice in the end, and I'm certain we never will... However If some one can come up with just one good reason why we should marry, we would consider it. Because maybe we are missing something here. And you can bring enlightenment to us.

Many thanks

Comments

• Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    i don`t know it`s just paper to me but do you still get tax incentives?
  • Options
    Graham MilesGraham Miles Posts: 207
    Forum Member
    Tax savings is a valid reason, but it would only amount to pennies. I'm not that bothered about money aspects as in insurances etc.

However that has been the most valid reason I could think of.
  • Options
    CadivaCadiva Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The legal ramifications of being married make things much easier in terms of wills, insurance etc in the (fortunately unlikely) event that something happens to one of you. It also makes things easier if you do have children to be married in terms of parental responsibilities etc.
    And, ironic as it may be, it makes things easier in the event of you splitting up and divorcing when it comes to sorting out property, rights over the children and that sort of thing.
  • Options
    Pet1986Pet1986 Posts: 7,701
    Forum Member
    If you have to think of a reason to get married and ask complete strangers for reasons then you shouldn't get married.

For me it would be a public declaration of the man I was in love with and wanted to spend the rest of my life with and raise children with.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,478
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The parental responsibilities thing has been changed somewhat fairly recently so it's no longer the problem it once was.

Good idea to have a will though as some awkward relatives might contest inheritances.
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    The situation is:

We get on really well, the sex is great she's 27 I'm 32 and we plan on having children in the near future.

Of course it's our choice in the end, and I'm certain we never will... However If some one can come up with just one good reason why we should marry, we would consider it. Because maybe we are missing something here. And you can bring enlightenment to us.

Many thanks

Have you considered the implications if you decide to separate or get divorced, because the law is not exactly on the side of the man in these circumstances?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 154
    Forum Member
    Because the last few crops of politicians have only been thinking of one thing. (themselves).. there are actually lots of reason NOT to get married.

you will be worse off financially over many years.

Nobody will be able to give you a good reason to get married. its an outdated concept in a modern world.
    For me it would be a public declaration of the man I was in love with and wanted to spend the rest of my life with and raise children with.

Throw a party and invite all your friends = same thing.
  • Options
    molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only reason we needed was that we loved each other so much we wanted to tell everyone we wanted to be together forever.
  • Options
    KarlSomethingKarlSomething Posts: 3,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What about hospital visitation rights and all that?

What if one of you becomes unable to speak for themselves, would you want the other to be able to speak on your behalf?

As I see it, the legal reasons are what matter, whether you're religious or not. If you're getting married purely for religious reasons, you don't need to get legally married, just have the wedding.

Or if you otherwise just want to make a statement, make the statement. It might even be more powerful if you don't have to sign a contract over it.
  • Options
    CasualCasual Posts: 2,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    molliepops wrote: »
    Only reason we needed was that we loved each other so much we wanted to tell everyone we wanted to be together forever.

That's what Facebook status updates are for.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is no good reason. Don't do it!
  • Options
    kaiserbeekaiserbee Posts: 4,276
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pet1986 wrote: »

Same with me, although we've not been lucky enough to have children. I am proud of stating I am married - its hard to describe but there is an invisible strong bond that binds you together. Those who don't 'get it', will never get it. Their loss in my opinion.
  • Options
    NonaNona Posts: 1,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kaiserbee wrote: »
    Same with me, although we've not been lucky enough to have children. I am proud of stating I am married - its hard to describe but there is an invisible strong bond that binds you together. Those who don't 'get it', will never get it. Their loss in my opinion.

This x1000 :D
  • Options
    TxBelleTxBelle Posts: 2,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I like this reason too, but there is also something to be said about the legality of being married.
  • Options
    bossoftheworldbossoftheworld Posts: 4,941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pet1986 wrote: »
    If you have to think of a reason to get married and ask complete strangers for reasons then you shouldn't get married.

What about hospital visitation rights and all that?

What if one of you becomes unable to speak for themselves, would you want the other to be able to speak on your behalf?

As I see it, the legal reasons are what matter, whether you're religious or not. If you're getting married purely for religious reasons, you don't need to get legally married, just have the wedding.

Or if you otherwise just want to make a statement, make the statement. It might even be more powerful if you don't have to sign a contract over it.
    kaiserbee wrote: »
    Nona wrote: »
    This x1000 :D
    TxBelle wrote: »
    I like this reason too, but there is also something to be said about the legality of being married.

All of the above:D:D:D

It seems that marriage is going 'out' of fashion with some people but to me it's the respect and love for one another and the fact you're willing to commit legally (and religiously if you're that way inclined) to one another.
  • Options
    carascaras Posts: 1,311
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm married and love being married. Though really its emotional sentiment, unless you are religious.

Tbh though I never liked my old surmame
  • Options
    TagletTaglet Posts: 20,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I actually think the most valid reason to get married is actually not having a reason.
  • Options
    dip_transferdip_transfer Posts: 2,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The situation is:

Many thanks

If you're having to ask strangers on a forum, Then No you shouldn't get married.
  • Options
    warszawawarszawa Posts: 4,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So you all share the same surname once kids arrive. That's the best i could think of.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    A couple I know are not going to get married.
    One is a divorcee with a child from the marriage and the marriage only lasted a couple of years. The other has a child from a previous relationship.

They both say that they'd prefer to spend the money on a nice holiday.
    (* more a point of why not to go all ouot for a wedding rather than just a certificate).
    I think they're just both happy with the situation and don't need it chaning by a certificate or ring.
  • Options
    batgirlbatgirl Posts: 42,248
    Forum Member
    Religion and love aside, there are good reasons to marry. You can do it quickly and cheaply and have an instant solution to the next of kin/nearest relative issue (might not be important right now but not everything can be planned for) and then there's the tax and stuff like pension rights. The latter is years away but regulations can change and if they do they're most likely to be a money saving exercise and might include something that would exclude people who got married after a certain date. Pure speculation on my part but the pensions problem is a very real one.

The tax issue might not seem like an immediate concern either but if one of you were to inherit (or win the lottery :D) and then die still unmarried then while a will takes care of who gets what, the Inland Revenue still get their share, whereas there's no inheritance tax between spouses (and a quick civil ceremony is probably cheaper than paying a solicitor to do a will).

Oh, and one more thing. I think spouses can *inherit* the allowance for inheritance tax, so when the second spouse dies the tax liability is reduced for whoever inherits at that point (most likely children), if that makes sense.
  • Options
    GlowbotGlowbot Posts: 14,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do it if she wants to, or your family want you to.
    Marriage isn't really for you other than the tax incentives, and people respect you more.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No. I know two people who have been together over 20 years and who have only recently welcomed their first child. They've never married and likely never will. They don't need to. They are fully committed to each other so they certainly don't need a piece of paper to confirm any of that and I think the baby will just make that commitment even stronger.

I've always felt that marriage is more for the woman's benefit than anything else. And this is not me suddenly becoming a misogynist, it's an opinion i've long held based on people i've known over the years.

So if both of you feel it's not for you then I'd certainly not even entertain the idea.
  • Options
    julie88julie88 Posts: 2,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are no good reasons. Marriage is an outdated institution.
  • Options
    zwixxxzwixxx Posts: 10,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wedding gifts - I'm sure you could do with 12 toasters. :)