Time for the government to stop foreign aid

jwar1976jwar1976 Posts: 424
Forum Member
Over the years various British governments have given Third world countries millions of pounds whilst making extreme cuts to their own population. Last Dec it was announced that they will cut foreign aid by £800m, but yet they still made cuts to UK benefits, despite unemployment increasing. Last week Jessops went under & now it looks as tho HMV are due to go bust, sending at least another 4,350 people to the dole queue.

Imho the government should stop giving to other countries as they should be responsible for looking after their own. The money saved could be used for helping failing business with overheads or other costs. Every business that closes down, the government will be required to make further cuts to make up for the tax that it has lost from the companies that have gone bust.

Corrupt African governments are rolling in the money that we send them, they should be looking after their own, it shouldn't be our responsibility !.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,341
    Forum Member
    That's what i can't understand. Our shitbag politicians're saying the c country's in recession, we're all supposed to be tightening our belts, yet they let the utility companies increase bills and can suddenlt find all these billions to prop the euro up,joining America's wars and on foreign aid to countries that plead poverty yet can afford nuclear weapons/space travel programs but won't help struggling businesses unless it's a big bank or utility company.
    And the politicians wonder why the 2011riots kicked off.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,801
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Most of them are bribes for one thing or another.
  • LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    Things may be hard here for some, but they are still massively better off than the people helped by this money.
  • tellywatcher73tellywatcher73 Posts: 4,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lyricalis wrote: »
    Things may be hard here for some, but they are still massively better off than the people helped by this money.

if people are being helped by this money then why are things still so bad for them? As a nation, we give away billions every year including millions to india which has a fifty per cent larger economy than we have. It' s like someone going through a hard time borrowing to give money to their better off neighbours. Maybe if some of the money was kept here then there wouldn't be the need for so many cuts.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 154
    Forum Member
    the only way you are going to get that, is to Vote UKIP.

foreign aid will only be sent for humanitarian reasons, natural disasters etc.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Should be cut back, no question.
  • CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We would be giving far more away under Labour as that is their nature.
  • tysonstormtysonstorm Posts: 24,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Moradin wrote: »
    the only way you are going to get that, is to Vote UKIP.

foreign aid will only be sent for humanitarian reasons, natural disasters etc.

There is NO cast iron guarantee that UKIP will do that though.

At the heart of UKIP they are just Tories, Right Wing Neoliberal Thatcherites who are driven by the same ideology as the Conselfservatives and share their lust for greed.

Unless they put it in their manifesto and make it legally binding, what UKIP says and does will be two different things.
  • TheEricPollardTheEricPollard Posts: 11,582
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do you really think we send other countries money out of the goodness of our hearts...?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you really think we send other countries money out of the goodness of our hearts...?

According to Cameron, yes. It is our moral duty.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    According to Cameron, yes. It is our moral duty.

That wasn't really the question...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That wasn't really the question...

So what did he mean by "it is our moral duty"?

I assume by this he meant our moral duty to help others, only it seems you are suggesting we have ulterior motives for doing it anyway, so maybe it is not down to morals but looking out for our own interests. if that is the case why did he not say that?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So what did he mean by "it is our moral duty"?

I assume by this he meant our moral duty to help others, only it seems you are suggesting we have ulterior motives for doing it anyway, so maybe it is not down to morals but looking out for our own interests. if that is the case why did he not say that?

Because it's not very politician-y is it?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because it's not very politician-y is it?

Of course you are right. They could not tell the truth if it kicked them in the face. Maybe they ought to start being a bit more honest and they would not get the backlash.
  • tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member
    If there is not the money to support, this country, then we cannot support any other country.
  • PrinceOfDenmarkPrinceOfDenmark Posts: 2,761
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    if people are being helped by this money then why are things still so bad for them? As a nation, we give away billions every year including millions to india which has a fifty per cent larger economy than we have. It' s like someone going through a hard time borrowing to give money to their better off neighbours. Maybe if some of the money was kept here then there wouldn't be the need for so many cuts.

BIB: Where did you get that from? As far as I can tell the UK's economy is about 30% larger than India's in absolute terms, and in per capita terms it's about 1000% larger.
  • Phil OwensPhil Owens Posts: 6,989
    Forum Member
    Yes we should stop send aid/money to other countries. Lets sort our own country out first..

At least this is a start...
    UK to end financial aid to India by 2015

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-20265583
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, it should stop (although I'd feel a bit uneasy about India losing out as I believe they have been very loyal to Britain many times).

When coroners start putting the Latin word for starvation on death certificates because there weren't enough nursing staff to feed a patient or elderly people dying from cold related illnesses, children suffering abuse because there aren't enough social workers to watch over them, front line police being cut - it sums up evidence that the tax payers of Britain need to see more of their money stay in Britain to prop up the services that they are paying for.
  • tellywatcher73tellywatcher73 Posts: 4,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't feel particularly bad about stopping aid to india, a country that is a nuclear power and has a space programme!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jwar1976 wrote: »
    Over the years various British governments have given Third world countries millions of pounds whilst making extreme cuts to their own population. Last Dec it was announced that they will cut foreign aid by £800m, but yet they still made cuts to UK benefits, despite unemployment increasing. Last week Jessops went under & now it looks as tho HMV are due to go bust, sending at least another 4,350 people to the dole queue.

Imho the government should stop giving to other countries as they should be responsible for looking after their own. The money saved could be used for helping failing business with overheads or other costs. Every business that closes down, the government will be required to make further cuts to make up for the tax that it has lost from the companies that have gone bust.

Corrupt African governments are rolling in the money that we send them, they should be looking after their own, it shouldn't be our responsibility !.

Can we also have a ban on people on DS starting threads about how we should stop foreign aid?
  • PlundermotPlundermot Posts: 281
    Forum Member
    I don't feel particularly bad about stopping aid to india, a country that is a nuclear power and has a space programme!

Fairly certain it's not the astronauts and nuclear scientists who get our food parcels.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,035
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whilst agree with foreign aid being cut back on and reviewed, I don't believe in stopping it for those who need it. I don't agree with the government bailing out big companies either, like HMV. I feel so sorry for the workers, however the people running it didn't compete with the marketplace so it was inevitable
  • CryolemonCryolemon Posts: 8,670
    Forum Member
    I don't think ALL foreign aid should be stopped, but it could be reduced (to zero if necessary) to some countries (India, China and Brazil, since they are growing economies, Pakistan and Argentina, since they're not always acting in our interests, etc)
  • jwar1976jwar1976 Posts: 424
    Forum Member
    Never Nude wrote: »
    Can we also have a ban on people on DS starting threads about how we should stop foreign aid?

Why should I banned because I am vocal in my opinions & beliefs. Religious people are allowed to stand on boxes in streets and speak about their beliefs. I am using DS for my right to free speech. I tell the exact same thing to those Chuggers, that I would rather help one of our own out than to give money to a country that I have no intention of ever visiting. The best thing for places like Africa is to educate them on how to use a condom.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jwar1976 wrote: »
    Why should I banned because I am vocal in my opinions & beliefs. Religious people are allowed to stand on boxes in streets and speak about their beliefs. I am using DS for my right to free speech. I tell the exact same thing to those Chuggers, that I would rather help one of our own out than to give money to a country that I have no intention of ever visiting. The best thing for places like Africa is to educate them on how to use a condom.

I suggest you read any trade vs aid debate first if you really want to know why Africa is not developing as you would like. Honestly the amount of threads we have had on this where the same old crap gets spewed out is just getting boring now.