Dismissal advice please.

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7
Forum Member
Hi everyone, first of all thank you to everyone who responds.
I'd really like some advice after recently being dismissed from my job.

I had been employed only just over 9 weeks.
I called in sick as I wasn't well on Tuesday 26th august.
I rang in again on Wednesday an Thursday an advised I would be back Friday.
At lunch time Thursday I was called an just told "your gone" without really giving me a reason.
I assumed it was because I was ill so left it at that but I just wondered if they can do this?
I've done a little research an someone correct me if I am wrong but I wasn't let go for gross misconduct ; so I just wondered if they can get away with this?

To top things off an the reason im looking at taking things further has been compounded by the fact that I was expecting my week in hand an any holidays owed but I was only paid for holidays owed an not my week in hand.
Can anyone advise if this is acceptable?
Is there anything all I can do?
I have been left in a terrible situation financially and all I really wanted at first was the money I feel I am owed but the more I think about it the more I don't want to let this go.

I suffer from a genuine illness and although I admit my employer wasn't aware of it, they didn't even give me a chance to explain.

While working the I've also seen other people given notice for being poor in front of colleagues an co workers an a general attitude of worthlessness towards staff in general.

Quite frankly, there a small business who constantly remind you they can get rid of you in the first 2 years when ever they want and I'm so passionate about this is has to stop.
They seem to think as they are a small private firm and are above the law....

I just hope there not!

Comments

• bitchboybluebitchboyblue Posts: 2,778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You had an ongoing illness and didn't let them know??? I haven't got a shred of sympathy for you.
  • StressMonkeyStressMonkey Posts: 13,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They can let you go after nine weeks for any reason what so ever (except discrimination) - not sure if it is a year or two before you get any rights regarding being let go but in the circumstance you describe they have done nothing wrong legally as long as they have paid all money due.
  • uniqueunique Posts: 12,432
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    unless it's illegal discrimination (ie. race/sex/age/disability), which doesn't sound like it, they can dismiss for any reason without giving a reason with such a short length of service

you are entitled to payment for any hours worked, plus any unused holiday entitlement accrued over the period (9 weeks won't add up to much)

in regards to the "week in hand", I don't know of any employers who work in such a way. typically people are paid in arrears. so if you work this week, you would get paid those hours at the end of next week and so on. so if you leave this Friday, your final pay would be next Friday, even though of course you won't have worked next week
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,818
    Forum Member
    Unfortunately for you they are well within their rights to get rid of you and there is nothing you can do unless you can prove some sort of discrimination.
  • frisky pythonfrisky python Posts: 9,737
    Forum Member
    ACAS is the best place to seek advice OP on this matter.

http://www.acas.org.uk/index.aspx?articleid=1461
    Forum Member
    ACAS is the best place to seek advice OP on this matter.

http://www.acas.org.uk/index.aspx?articleid=1461

There is no advice to seek, it is a clear cut dismissal.
  • Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    Alex_Law wrote: »

Quite frankly, there a small business who constantly remind you they can get rid of you in the first 2 years when ever they want and I'm so passionate about this is has to stop.

I just hope there not!

You picked up all this in just nine weeks' employment?

Seems a bit odd, frankly.

Did management hold weekly briefings reminding you of this or something?
  • cris182cris182 Posts: 9,595
    Forum Member
    Nothing you can do, The fact that you have ongoing illness you didn't tell them about would actually count against you even if there was

Just get out and look for a new job, This one isn't going to be coming back
  • lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    They can let you go after nine weeks for any reason what so ever (except discrimination) - not sure if it is a year or two before you get any rights regarding being let go but in the circumstance you describe they have done nothing wrong legally as long as they have paid all money due.

3 months.
    After that, they have to go through proper disciplinary procedures or redundancy procedures before letting you go.
    Forum Member
    lemoncurd wrote: »
    3 months.
    After that, they have to go through proper disciplinary procedures or redundancy procedures before letting you go.

Are you sure?
  • lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    Are you sure?

That's what I was told when I started my current job (a year ago, so I'm safe now! :D )

edit: That said, I've just seen the ACAS page saying it is now two years, so forget what I said!! I think 3 months was just my contractual probation period.
    Better keep the bosses happy for another twelve months! :blush:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 491
    Forum Member
    lemoncurd wrote: »
    That's what I was told when I started my current job (a year ago, so I'm safe now! :D )
    I'm pretty sure it depends on the job offer. That's called a provisional (or is it probational?) period, and mine is 6 months (almost finished).
    Standard disclaimer applies: I'm not a lawyer.
  • Dan SetteDan Sette Posts: 5,816
    Forum Member
    I'm not going to be as harsh as some., but having an ongoing illness which you didn't declare is enough for them to terminate a contract.

As others have said (and they appear to use as a vocal reason) thy are correct in stating dismissing you with no reason required - however they do have an obligation to pay the hours you have worked. I don't know the terms of the contract, but if you were paid monthly, that may not come until they do the next pay run.

Unfortunately I don't think there is much you can do other than get on the job finding grind again.
  • idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member
    Unfortunately OP you have found yourself subject to the limitations of your illness, in that it prevents you from working even just a couple of months without having to take time off. In a new job, it's rather unsurprising that you have been let go early. It doesn't seem like they were terribly courteous about it though, which is a shame.
  • SoomacdooSoomacdoo Posts: 6,645
    Forum Member
    Alex Law - what does it say in the contract that you signed when you first started working for them? Is there any mention of a probationary period? Most companies these days do have a probationary period, sometimes its 12 or 13 weeks and sometimes (as mentioned earlier) its 6 months. This does mean that you have to be on your best behaviour for that period, so any naughtyness or sickness absence will count against you.
  • scottie2121scottie2121 Posts: 11,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You had an ongoing illness and didn't let them know??? I haven't got a shred of sympathy for you.

Why should he tell them?

It's not compulsory.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dan Sette wrote: »
    I'm not going to be as harsh as some., but having an ongoing illness which you didn't declare is enough for them to terminate a contract.

As others have said (and they appear to use as a vocal reason) thy are correct in stating dismissing you with no reason required - however they do have an obligation to pay the hours you have worked. I don't know the terms of the contract, but if you were paid monthly, that may not come until they do the next pay run.

Unfortunately I don't think there is much you can do other than get on the job finding grind again.

BIB - can you explain why?

There's no legal duty to tell an employer anything about your health and in general it's only appropriate when the need arises.

OP - did your employer at any time make any effort to find out what was going on - what you were ill with and if it's an ongoing condition?

Also, if you want, can you say on here what the ongoing condition is?
  • abs2512abs2512 Posts: 611
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why should he tell them?

It's not compulsory.

Not compulsory, but if you had told the employer at the onset of your employment, they may have requested a doctors certificate to make sure you were fully fit for the job you had been employed to do, in those circumstances it is more than likely you would still be working now, that is if your days sick are the reason for dismissal.

Honesty is always the best policy
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    abs2512 wrote: »
    Not compulsory, but if you had told the employer at the onset of your employment, they may have requested a doctors certificate to make sure you were fully fit for the job you had been employed to do, in those circumstances it is more than likely you would still be working now, that is if your days sick are the reason for dismissal.

Honesty is always the best policy

The onus is on the employer to ask questions about health once a conditional job offer has been made. If they can't be bothered then that's not an employee's fault.

As I have said, there's no legal obligation to tell an employer anything about your health.

It's very unlikely that the OP can do anything unless he's been discriminated against and there's not enough information to make any sort of judgement about that.

The first thing the OP should be doing is asking for a full written explanation for the dismissal.
  • frisky pythonfrisky python Posts: 9,737
    Forum Member
    There is no advice to seek, it is a clear cut dismissal.

Because the OP needs advice on the week in hand payment aspect, not just the dismissal part. Advice from a professional body is the best place to go for this sort of stuff IMHO.
  • abs2512abs2512 Posts: 611
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The onus is on the employer to ask questions about health once a conditional job offer has been made. If they can't be bothered then that's not an employee's fault.

As I have said, there's no legal obligation to tell an employer anything about your health.

I fully agree with you, but, I still firmly believe that if the OP knew that he had an illness that may necesitate time off work sick IMO he should have made his employers aware - I think in this instance you and I are going to have to agree to differ :D
  • Keefy-boyKeefy-boy Posts: 13,612
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The illness part is irrelevant, the only issue here is the lack of the statutory minimum notice period of 1 week or payment in lieu for that week.

OP I'd email the company to ask why you weren't paid for your statutory notice period and take it from there, perhaps to ACAS if you wish to pursue it further.
  • idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member

It can be a minefield though as employers have to be very careful even at the job offer stage that they only ask questions about health issues that might affect duties intrinsic to the job.
  • Babe RainbowBabe Rainbow Posts: 34,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alex_Law wrote: »

I just hope there not!

The fact that they're a small business means that they probably can't afford to carry staff who are going to be off sick a lot. Who would be doing you job whilst you're off sick ? Would they be getting overtime ?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There are very few occasions on which an employer can ask for medical information from you and you are required to provide it.
    Most are when they need to establish whether you are able to do the job, or if they require details in order to make workplace adjustments. The rest won't apply in this case - they are either to do with national security or guaranteed interview.

As to the owed pay question, you are of course entitled to any wages not yet received, and a period of notice of you have worked for over 4 weeks. One week's notice in your case, unless your contract says more (they can't stipulate less). The only time you wouldn't be entitled to notice pay is in gross misconduct circumstances, which don't apply here.

Getting it is a seperate question - you may need to use MoneyClaimOnline to do it legally, but that'll cost you. I'd recommend doing it anyway - if you're lucky you'll only pay £30 and they'll cough up before a court case rather than have a County Court Judgement against their credit rating.

Good luck!