Options

Joint Tenancy legalities

GG86GG86 Posts: 8,598
Forum Member
Hi all,
Before I start I haven't yet had a thorough read of my tenancy agreement as it will be difficult to do it without being seen. What I basically want to know is - Is there anyway to get someone removed from a tenancy and then serving them with an eviction order? I don't know whether this is possible and if it is how could I go about it? Thank you in advance :)

Comments

• Options
    Keefy-boyKeefy-boy Posts: 13,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Assuming you are also a joint tenant no, it would need the landlord's cooperation and there would have to be real grounds for eviction that are specified in law.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    If the locks were to be changed would forced entry only be granted through a court order or could police be involved?
  • Options
    tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member
    Think we need abit more information, the thing to remember even a landlord cannot evict anyone it all has to be done though the courts, a landlord cannot just throw people out
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I am just looking into the legalities with joint tenancies, I am really looking to stop myself being forced out of my home by my now ex partner. What would happen if one of us gave notice on the tenancy would the other have to leave too? Thank you for all replies
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    GG86 wrote: »
    What would happen if one of us gave notice on the tenancy would the other have to leave too? Thank you for all replies
    Is the tenancy still in a fixed term period? If so it would need all joint tenants and the landlord to agree to end it. If it's gone beyond the fixed term and is now a periodic (month to month) tenancy any joint tenant can end the tenancy with correctly given notice to the landlord. In both these cases that would be the end of the tenancy for all joint tenants.
  • Options
    tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member
    I am just looking into the legalities with joint tenancies, I am really looking to stop myself being forced out of my home by my now ex partner. What would happen if one of us gave notice on the tenancy would the other have to leave too? Thank you for all replies

Could you afford the rent on your own, because in alot of ways that is all most landlords are botherd about
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Keefy-boy wrote: »
    Is the tenancy still in a fixed term period? If so it would need all joint tenants and the landlord to agree. If it's gone beyond the fixed term and is now a periodic (month to month) tenancy any joint tenant can end the tenancy with correctly given notice to the landlord.

Its now on a rolling month to month tenancy. The landlord doesn't concern me too much they are approachable and fair and easily contactable it's more my ex that concerns me if she were to give notice would I have to go as deposit was paid half each?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    tim59 wrote: »
    Could you afford the rent on your own, because in alot of ways that is all most landlords are botherd about

I don't think I could stretch to it on my own, I could if my landlord agreed to me getting another joint tenant in like a friend or a colleague.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its now on a rolling month to month tenancy. The landlord doesn't concern me too much they are approachable and fair and easily contactable it's more my ex that concerns me if she were to give notice would I have to go as deposit was paid half each?
    Yes the current tenancy would end for both of you. There is no reason why you couldn't approach the landlord for a new tenancy to commence immediately, though either of you could of course do that.
  • Options
    chocoholic100chocoholic100 Posts: 6,411
    Forum Member
    Contact Shelter. They will give you advice
  • Options
    phepiaphepia Posts: 1,476
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    edit; wrong thread
  • Options
    ACUACU Posts: 9,104
    Forum Member
    If the locks were to be changed would forced entry only be granted through a court order or could police be involved?

From my understanding, if you changed the locks, then your ex could get a locksmith to gain entry. She could then reclaim the cost from you. The police would be involved, and the ex would gain entry within the hour. No need to go through courts, to gain entry to a property they live in legally.

I would call the cops first, to get you to open the door, if that didnt work, call out the locksmith. He would gain entry with minutes. Changing the locks is a bad idea.
  • Options
    bhappyluvbhappyluv Posts: 408
    Forum Member
    I was in a similar situation recently. If your ex decides to move out then you'll either need to move out too, or start a new tenancy with someone else. The new person will then have to pass all the credit and reference checks. The deposit will then have to be released by the lead tenant and re-registered in yours and the new tenants names. Or at least thats what we just did. Feel free to pm me if you want any more info.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Sorry to sound thick but how would I find out who the lead tenant is?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Sorry to sound thick but how would I find out who the lead tenant is?

The landlord would have to register your deposit with a government scheme like the DPS. The landlord has to specify a lead tenant. The landlord will ask who wants to be the lead tenant, of they didn't they may well have used the details of the tenant at the top of the paperwork. The lead tenant would then receive an email stating the deposit has been registered. If you didn't get the email, then it's your ex.

This is assuming the deposit was registered.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I don't recall getting an email, she never mentioned she did but I guess moving home is a chaotic time. So my half of the deposit will get returned to her?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I don't recall getting an email, she never mentioned she did but I guess moving home is a chaotic time. So my half of the deposit will get returned to her?

Yes, she will get all the deposit that the tenants and landlord agree should go back to the tenants. Its then upto the lead tenant to distribute the deposit to all the other tenants. If she doesnt give you your share back, then you will have to take legal action to get it back. This is one of the downfalls of the scheme.

However the government makes out its to protect the tenants, however its there to primarily inform the government who is letting out a house, and thus has additional income that can be taxed.

Bear in mind the landlord may not have registered the deposit. If I was you I would ask the landlord if he has registered the deposit. If he hasnt, he can be in a spot of bother. If he has, ask him which scheme he used.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I have found the details. Her name appears first on the tenancy but mine appears first on the deposit scheme certificate.
  • Options
    LoolabelleLoolabelle Posts: 552
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is your deposit held with the Deposit Protection Service (DPS)? That's the scheme I use for my tenants and as a landlord I'm obliged to supply each tenant with certain prescribed information which includes advice as to who the lead tenant is and details of his/her responsibilities. Each tenant is required to sign a copy of the prescribed information to confirm their acceptance so you probably should have received something similar.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I have found the details. Her name appears first on the tenancy but mine appears first on the deposit scheme certificate.

If the landlord has registered the deposit, then he must have asked for an email address. He enters this when he registered the deposit. The lead tenant then gets an email, and the lead tenant then registers with the scheme and links his account to the landlords deposit. That way the deposit has a landlord and a tenant.

I would check the email you supplied and see if you have any such emails. If you havent, then maybe it went your partner. As suggested earlier, I would ask the landlord who the lead tenant is.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Loolabelle wrote: »
    Is your deposit held with the Deposit Protection Service (DPS)? That's the scheme I use for my tenants and as a landlord I'm obliged to supply each tenant with certain prescribed information which includes advice as to who the lead tenant is and details of his/her responsibilities. Each tenant is required to sign a copy of the prescribed information to confirm their acceptance so you probably should have received something similar.

This does depend on how the landlord works. He may just send an email with the prescribed info, and ask the tenants to reply with the lead tenant. Or he may simply tell them the prescribed info when the move in and ask who wants to be the lead tenant.

As far as I am aware nothing has to be signed. Although that will make it easier if the lead tenant does a runner with the deposit. If that happens, its got nothing to do with the landlord, so why have a signed piece of paper that doesnt really mean anything?. I prefer not to have paperwork, if its not required.
  • Options
    LoolabelleLoolabelle Posts: 552
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ACU wrote: »
    This does depend on how the landlord works. He may just send an email with the prescribed info, and ask the tenants to reply with the lead tenant. Or he may simply tell them the prescribed info when the move in and ask who wants to be the lead tenant.

As far as I am aware nothing has to be signed. Although that will make it easier if the lead tenant does a runner with the deposit. If that happens, its got nothing to do with the landlord, so why have a signed piece of paper that doesnt really mean anything?. I prefer not to have paperwork, if its not required.

To quote the DPS from their website, in answer to the question "When do I have to give the Prescribed Information to my tenant(s)?" their answer is:

"The agent/landlord must ensure that the Prescribed Information is correctly completed and served on the tenant(s) within 30 days of the agent/landlord receiving the deposit. The tenant(s) must be given an opportunity to check and sign the Prescribed Information. This is requirement of Tenancy Deposit Protection legislation under the Housing Act 2004."
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Loolabelle wrote: »
    To quote the DPS from their website, in answer to the question "When do I have to give the Prescribed Information to my tenant(s)?" their answer is:

"The agent/landlord must ensure that the Prescribed Information is correctly completed and served on the tenant(s) within 30 days of the agent/landlord receiving the deposit. The tenant(s) must be given an opportunity to check and sign the Prescribed Information. This is requirement of Tenancy Deposit Protection legislation under the Housing Act 2004."

Ah ok fair enough. I normally just send an email with the prescribed information, and get them to reply with the lead tenants details. Nothing gets signed, but I guess with them replying via email they have acknowledged the info.

Granted its not 100% correct, according to the DPS site...but not a major issue.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Neither of us received an email to my knowledge, my ex says she hasn't. I do believe her. That may be naive but she isn't a liar, she physically gives it away when she lies. I will discreetly ask my landlord who the lead tenant is. Thank you for all your answers.