Aretha Franklin - Rolling In The Deep

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,163
Forum Member
✭✭✭

Comments

• babeloguebabelogue Posts: 1,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She's a legend I know, no one can take that away, but I'm sorry, this is just awful awful awful. Oh dear.
  • MoggioMoggio Posts: 4,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, it's really bad.
  • babeloguebabelogue Posts: 1,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Moggio wrote: »
    Yes, it's really bad.

I had to stop listening to it. It sounded like a cassette tape being stretched.
  • That_GuyThat_Guy Posts: 1,421
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She should just..stop.
  • MaksonMakson Posts: 30,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    damnnnn, Aretha just took Adele to church! That was amazing.
  • d56d56 Posts: 5,471
    Forum Member
    Terrible! Talk about over singing...
  • glyn9799glyn9799 Posts: 7,391
    Forum Member
    Horrendous :o Far too OTT.
    babelogue wrote: »
    I had to stop listening to it. It sounded like a cassette tape being stretched.

Love this :D It's true!
  • mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,452
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    glyn9799 wrote: »
    Horrendous :o Far too OTT.

Love this :D It's true!

I don't know, this is pretty much the usual Aretha Franklin, even at 72.

This is the live version from Letterman.
  • vaslav37vaslav37 Posts: 69,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aretha has put on weight but her voice is still amazing...
  • SoupietwistSoupietwist Posts: 1,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've always hated divas that over sing every-single-word to unbearable levels and Aretha is one of the very worst at this.

This cover is absolutely unlistenable, but it's not the first song she's ruined.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    vaslav37 wrote: »
    Aretha has put on weight but her voice is still amazing...

Her weight tends to vary if you look at pictures of her over the decades
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've always hated divas that over sing every-single-word to unbearable levels and Aretha is one of the very worst at this.

This cover is absolutely unlistenable, but it's not the first song she's ruined.

Do you have examples of that?

Here's Aretha's version of 'I say a little prayer', probably one of the best recordings ever made. Which part is over sung? What ever that actually means?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mgvsmith wrote: »
    Do you have examples of that?

Here's Aretha's version of 'I say a little prayer', probably one of the best recordings ever made. Which part is over sung? What ever that actually means?

Well you can start with any Beatles covers she did - Let It Be is probably the worst. Then you can compere her version of Preacher Man to Dustys........there are plenty of examples out there. But I guess if you like Aretha then you'll like these, I personally hate them.
  • MoggioMoggio Posts: 4,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Must be quite traumatic to lose the thing you're most known for.

Patty LaBelle is the same sort of age but her voice is still pretty much intact. She hasn't had the health issues Aretha has had though.
  • Master OzzyMaster Ozzy Posts: 18,923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What confuses me is this...now obviously as you get older your voice is never going to be like it was back in your hey dey, it's just not possible....you're never going to be able to hit those amazing notes. Why do they try to do it?! Why don't they arrange the song so that they don't attempt to sing notes they can't hit? Mariah Carey is a good example...when she now performs, she'll do the whistle note if necessary, but she will never attempt the seriously high whistles she did back in the day, because she knows she can't do it. Obviously she's had a few off performances over the years, but really the issue has been that people don't liek the tone fo ehr vocie now, not that she hasn't been abel to hit the notes. With this Aretha performance though, she's not even hitting the notes...it's horrific!! Voices deteriorate and change over the years, but coem on, arrange the song so that you're not going to sound horrendous.
  • LewnaticcLewnaticc Posts: 3,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mariah doesn't have nearly the tone she used to, I love her to bits but her voice sounds very "old lady" to me. Aretha has a similar thing going on with her voice, just much worse.

Saying that, Patti Labelle can still sing the house down.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well you can start with any Beatles covers she did - Let It Be is probably the worst. Then you can compere her version of Preacher Man to Dustys........there are plenty of examples out there. But I guess if you like Aretha then you'll like these, I personally hate them.

You mean this version - Aretha Franklin - Let it be. What exactly is 'over sung' about this?

This is 'Let it Be' sung Aretha Style which is not over embellished, perfect phrasing and pitch. She uses a little of the southern gospel style towards the end which is typical of African American soul singers and typical of Aretha.

I am a fan and I'll admit her voice is not now as strong as it once was but she far from 'ruins' 'Roll in the Deep'.
  • Dan SetteDan Sette Posts: 5,816
    Forum Member
    See that word there? It's accompanied by a note.

Try to hit that note and try not to vary from it when you get there. It's called singing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mgvsmith wrote: »
    You mean this version - Aretha Franklin - Let it be. What exactly is 'over sung' about this?

This is 'Let it Be' sung Aretha Style which is not over embellished, perfect phrasing and pitch. She uses a little of the southern gospel style towards the end which is typical of African American soul singers and typical of Aretha.

I am a fan and I'll admit her voice is not now as strong as it once was but she far from 'ruins' 'Roll in the Deep'.

It's turned a perfectly decent song into something that I find unpleasant to listen too - that's called ruining it in my book.
  • That_GuyThat_Guy Posts: 1,421
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I still..I just can't.
  • Toy_HeroToy_Hero Posts: 11,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hate to be mean but the Letterman performance made me laugh. Poor ole Cissy Houston on backing vocals as if she missed every rehearsal. I don't know what she was singing but it sure wasn't what everybody else was haha
  • Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,759
    Forum Member
    What confuses me is this...now obviously as you get older your voice is never going to be like it was back in your hey dey, it's just not possible....you're never going to be able to hit those amazing notes. Why do they try to do it?! Why don't they arrange the song so that they don't attempt to sing notes they can't hit? Mariah Carey is a good example...when she now performs, she'll do the whistle note if necessary, but she will never attempt the seriously high whistles she did back in the day, because she knows she can't do it. Obviously she's had a few off performances over the years, but really the issue has been that people don't liek the tone fo ehr vocie now, not that she hasn't been abel to hit the notes. With this Aretha performance though, she's not even hitting the notes...it's horrific!! Voices deteriorate and change over the years, but coem on, arrange the song so that you're not going to sound horrendous.

Well with Mariah she gets criticised whether she does it or not lol. She hits the whistle or the long notes, she's miming. She doesn't hit the note and she's past it and should give up or she mimes and gets criticism for miming lol. The woman can't win bless her.

I don't know why they still attempt it. Just look at Whitney on that 2010 tour in Birmingham trying to hit I Will Always Love You. She must have known she couldn't have hit those notes and then it just becomes sad and embarrassing to watch.

I agree this performance was just horrible.
  • Margo ChanningMargo Channing Posts: 5,240
    Forum Member
    The album version is awful.

I do like the Letterman version though. Very pitchy in parts but I enjoyed it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dan Sette wrote: »
    See that word there? It's accompanied by a note.

Try to hit that note and try not to vary from it when you get there. It's called singing.

Funnily enough, it's actually variation and embellishment that makes a vocal or indeed a musical performance interesting.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's turned a perfectly decent song into something that I find unpleasant to listen too - that's called ruining it in my book.

That's fair enough in relation to personal taste and you have to make allowances for age but Aretha always sings with soul because that's the way she is.