Bringing the show back.

FIFA1966FIFA1966 Posts: 1,101
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Was the Time War the only way to bring the show back or could there have been another way?

Comments

• mdtaukmdtauk Posts: 620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FIFA1966 wrote: »
    Was the Time War the only way to bring the show back or could there have been another way?

Of course it could have been brought back in many ways. I believe RTD used the storyline as an excuse to bring an understandably darker tone, and lonely feeling to the Doctor.

It was also a way to remove the complication of dealing with the other Time Lords, and give the Doctor a purpose for his travelling and seeking companions.

It brought a sense of mystery to the show, so new viewers would want to learn more about the Doctor.
  • Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was done as a way to simplify the doctor. So he had less baggage.
  • johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    I was done as a way to simplify the doctor. So he had less baggage.

As well as ensuring there isn't a higher authority that could fix things better than the Doctor.
  • LightMeUpLightMeUp Posts: 1,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like the Time War. It's been a bit ambiguous in places which is sort of irritating but overall I love the concept. The Doctor being the last of his lot was a good idea too I think. It adds depth to the character, which was needed. Gone are the days where people were happy to watch this cooky alien having adventures in time and space and that be enough. I think, as the whole point was to bring a new audience to the show, it needed something dark and shrouded in mystery to get people on board.
  • Chester666666Chester666666 Posts: 9,020
    Forum Member
    I liked the doctor having Advebtures in time and space
    It's possible to combine that with an arc and be excellent
    Classic who did without it devolving into a stupid soap type series
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Doctor Who is about change. It's always changing and evolving. It can't remain the same forever. I don't understand this mentality of being annoyed that the show isn't exactly the same as it was in the 70's. If you don't like change, Doctor Who isn't the show for you!

I can never see character development being a bad thing. Doctor Who does relationships and interaction so beautifully well. It's almost second to the sci-fi element. Look at Buffy, what it did so well was that it took the fantasy element and made it relatable. I feel that is what Doctor Who has done since it's revival. I don't understand why that enrages people so much. It's the best thing about it.
  • lady_xanaxlady_xanax Posts: 5,662
    Forum Member
    I thought it did its job as a hook, both dramaticand emotional. It added a freshness and sense of mystery. Everyone loves a tortured anti-hero.
    Forum Member
    LightMeUp wrote: »
    Doctor Who is about change. It's always changing and evolving. It can't remain the same forever. I don't understand this mentality of being annoyed that the show isn't exactly the same as it was in the 70's. If you don't like change, Doctor Who isn't the show for you!

I can never see character development being a bad thing. Doctor Who does relationships and interaction so beautifully well. It's almost second to the sci-fi element. Look at Buffy, what it did so well was that it took the fantasy element and made it relatable. I feel that is what Doctor Who has done since it's revival. I don't understand why that enrages people so much. It's the best thing about it.
    I know it's about change etc
    That's why the regenerating was created
    But I simply don't like or enjoy it since RTD bought it back
    I used to look forwards to it and the books but I dont
    And what's the point of it being Scifi when the soap opera crap is being bought to the foreground more?
  • TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The show would have been axed immediately if you had your way.
    Those "stupid soap" elements are part and parcel of pretty much all modern dramas.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know it's about change etc
    That's why the regenerating was created
    But I simply don't like or enjoy it since RTD bought it back
    I used to look forwards to it and the books but I dont
    And what's the point of it being Scifi when the soap opera crap is being bought to the foreground more?

I don't think you understood my point at all.

There are plenty of people that liked the classic series but don't like the revival. Instead of coming on here to complain, turn the channel over. Because coming on a Doctor Who forum stating you hate the last 9 years of who as a whole is just really irritating. Stop watching it.
    Forum Member
    Because sci-fi is a framework for exploring ideas. Those ideas can be metaphysical or psychological, political or personal. All aspects of the human condition are fair game.

Sci-fi without the human angle is dry as dust.
    Forum Member
    I don't think you understood my point at all.

There are plenty of people that liked the classic series but don't like the revival. Instead of coming on here to complain, turn the channel over. Because coming on a Doctor Who forum stating you hate the last 9 years of who as a whole is just really irritating. Stop watching it.

I like posting about classic plus the novels
    I am curious whether others like it
    Plus I stopped watching apart from this one as it was where it all began with Ian and Barbara
    Forum Member
    Because sci-fi is a framework for exploring ideas. Those ideas can be metaphysical or psychological, political or personal. All aspects of the human condition are fair game.

Sci-fi without the human angle is dry as dust.
    you misunderstand
    This soap stuff is being too focussed on to the detriment of the series
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like posting about classic plus the novels
    I am curious whether others like it
    Plus I stopped watching apart from this one as it was where it all began with Ian and Barbara

That's all well and good. But if you know there are elements of the new series you don't like why are you continuing to complain about them? It's like knowing you don't like pepperoni pizza, buying a pepperoni pizza, and then being annoyed there was pepperoni on it.
    Forum Member
    That's all well and good. But if you know there are elements of the new series you don't like why are you continuing to complain about them? It's like knowing you don't like pepperoni pizza, buying a pepperoni pizza, and then being annoyed there was pepperoni on it.

Buying pepperoni whilst not getting IT would be accurate
    Forum Member
    you misunderstand
    This soap stuff is being too focussed on to the detriment of the series

Is it? How?

Finding out that your girlfriend has been hiding a second life as a time traveller and lying about it to your face - I don't remember that being done on Eastenders yet?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Buying pepperoni whilst not getting IT would be accurate

No it wouldn't. Because you know you don't like it. You're expecting it to be something it isn't anymore.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it? How?

Finding out that your girlfriend has been hiding a second life as a time traveller and lying about it to your face - I don't remember that being done on Eastenders yet?

They're doing that for Christmas. Phil hid a secret wormhole in The Vic.
  • Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,455
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is it? How?

Only a matter of time. Maybe Karl Howman's character will turn out to be a regenerated Drax going into hiding after a dodgy deal? Got the accent.

No, that's silly. Eastenders is fictional in the Whoniverse, isn't it. ("gerrahtofmypub!")
  • WebslarkWebslark Posts: 18,946
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They're doing that for Christmas. Phil hid a secret wormhole in The Vic.

Phil revealed to be half Sontaran.