Will I need to keep my computer and/or BT Home Hub running to use Vonage?

I've been looking at Vonage, but the web site is a bit short on details.

I've got a BT line, with an extension going upstairs. I have a microfilter in both sockets, and the Home Hub is plugged in upstairs.

Does the Vonage box plug into the microfilter, the Home Hub or the computer?

In other words, could I plug it into the unused (except for the ordinary phone) microfilter downstairs, and use Vonage when my computer or indeed my Home Hub is switched off?

If it goes into the Home Hub, could I instead plug it into a spare ADSL Modem/Router I have, and connext the Modem/Router to the downstairs microfilter?

Also, do Vonage calls count toward my 4GB monthly limit?

Comments

• CitySlickerCitySlicker Posts: 10,414
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Vonage is one of the more expensive SIP providers as there's a monthly fee. Although you get an adapter free, it's better to buy an adapter then use it with a cheaper service like Sipgate or VOIPCheap.

The adapter will plug into a spare ethernet port, so straight on your home hub. It would only connect to your computer if you purchased a USB handset, but then you'd have to leave your computer on all the time to make and receive calls. An ATA adapter that plugs straight into the home hub will allow you to leave the computer off and make calls.

The spare ADSL modem you have won't work - you can only use one ADSL modem at a time on one line I'm afraid.

You can't plug it into the microfilter as this is just for a modem or analogue telephone - the ATA adapter (or VOIP phone if you get one of those) needs a data connection on your home hub.

As with all data, this will count towards your monthly usage cap. Voice calls don't tend to take up much capacity, but if you're a frequent user it may be something you have to account for if you're regularly close to your limit already.
  • capt hangovercapt hangover Posts: 526
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As with all data, this will count towards your monthly usage cap. Voice calls don't tend to take up much capacity, but if you're a frequent user it may be something you have to account for if you're regularly close to your limit already.

Good advice. Not forgetting download speeds as well.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good advice. Not forgetting download speeds as well.

Not sure I follow.

Are you saying Vontage will affect download speeds, and if so, will it affect them all the time, or only when making a call?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes because Vonage, or indeed any VOIP service, uses your data connection. This, I'm afraid, is where anyone not using a VOIP router (or at least one with prioritising) comes a cropper.

Your phone service only affects downloads (and uploads) when you use it. However, if you're downloading at high speeds when a call happens, a VOIP router would say it has to then 'block off' so much capacity, which slows your download for the call so you have a normal quality phone call.

On a home hub, as far as I understand there's no port prioritising. That means it won't know to block off capacity for your phone, so it will try to equally share capacity with your phone and computer. Fine if the computer isn't taking up a load of bandwith, but if you're downloading at high speeds when a call comes through, the call is likely to be jittery.

Putting it in simple terms, imagine it as a water pipe. When you turn the tap on, you get whatever you want. If you have a side tap, in other words your phone, think of what will happen to the flow on the main tap the second you turn on the side tap.
  • call100call100 Posts: 7,264
    Forum Member
    Vonage bandwidth use can be selected to personal preference. To be honest using the phone and computer at the same time produces very little difference in the downloading of things on my computer, and I have it at max. I suppose it depends on your BB speed.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well call100, I've got 8Meg.
    Forum Member
    Well call100, I've got 8Meg.
    Well I only have 4Meg and don't have any problems.. So you should not notice any significant changes to your downloading.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The spare ADSL modem you have won't work - you can only use one ADSL modem at a time on one line I'm afraid.

If you can only connect one modem, why do both microfilters have an RJ11 socket?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Presumably because they're made for use anywhere, and cost so little to produce the manufacturers simply lump data and voice in for cost reasons on a microfilter.

Although it's a different way of handling data, the principles of ADSL in some ways are the same as analogue modems. You couldn't have two modems on one phone line, and it's the same for ADSL - you only get one connection per line, which rules out you using a spare.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    you only get one connection per line, which rules out you using a spare.

Quick question (and probably a silly one), but can I move my Home Hub between microfilters on the same line (ie. between the main socket and the extension), without having to set it up again?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So long as it saves your settings when it disconnects from the power until you plug it back in again, which I would be amazed if it didn't, yes you can with no problems.
  • MadMullaMadMulla Posts: 1,195
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    call100 wrote:
    Well I only have 4Meg and don't have any problems.. So you should not notice any significant changes to your downloading.

But if you are maxing out your connection on downloading, then the incoming sound on your VoIP call can break up, the problem is more noticeable on your upload, if that is maxing out then the person you call will hear speech from you that breaks up / stutters.
    Forum Member
    MadMulla wrote:
    But if you are maxing out your connection on downloading, then the incoming sound on your VoIP call can break up, the problem is more noticeable on your upload, if that is maxing out then the person you call will hear speech from you that breaks up / stutters.
    I don't usually go by what technically should be rather what actually happens. I find that that then gives non techies the answer they maybe need. I have had no noticeable difference on incoming sound or outgoing when downloading video over Limewire for instance. When sending video to my brother in the US and talking via Vonage There are no problems on the phone.
    So in my case then the scenario you describe does not happen... :)