What's expected in terms of the dances

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,748
Forum Member
✭✭
I haven't watched a lot of DWTS but I've been struck with what I have watched that most of the dances I have seen have been a lot further away from the "proper" ballroom dances than those on SCD. Dancers on SCD seem to get slated if intro and outro sections are too long, but I watched a "foxtrot" on DWTS (on youtube) that had about as much out of hold as in hold, and the couple were commended. Is that normal on DWTS? Is it to do with ballroom rules in the US or is it a deliberate relaxation of rules for the show?

*curious*

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 129
    Forum Member
    I think it's because there are two standards for dancing - International and American.

Dances like the Viennese Waltz have very few steps in the international version, but many more have been added into the American version.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,748
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ahhh, so you mean it's a US thing more than a DWTS thing??
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah, it's the Smooth style. Sometimes they push it too much (Stacy Kiebler did one ballroom dance when she wasn't in hold at all).
  • kayceekaycee Posts: 12,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No Sarah, it isn't a relaxation of the rules for DWTS, it's just that they are dancing American Smooth, as opposed to the International style ballroom that is danced in UK and on the Continent.

American Smooth covers Waltz, foxtrot, tango, Viennese waltz. The steps are the same as 'ours' but they are allowed to break out of ballroom hold and dance steps that are almost Latin in style - such as promenade runs found in the samba. The rules state that less than 40% of a routine can be 'out of hold'. And unlike the 'American Smooth' danced on Strictly, there are no lifts (except for demonstration/shows) and there is NO Quickstep Smooth either!

They also have a different style of Latin - i.e. Latin Rhythm. The cha cha is slightly slower than 'ours'; the rumba slightly faster, and instead of jive they dance East or West coast swing. Rhythm also includes salsa, mambo etc.

Having said all that the Americans also dance the International style as we do here, so they have loads of choice!!

Sorry- typed the above before I saw other replies!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kaycee wrote: »
    The steps are the same as 'ours' but they are allowed to break out of ballroom hold and dance steps that are almost Latin in style - such as promenade runs found in the samba.

I saw promenade runs in the foxtrot and thought "excuuuuuuuuse me!" LOL

OK thanks guys, that has cleared things up a lot, and kaycee, don't apologise, that was a nice detailed post which helps a lot :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I saw promenade runs in the foxtrot and thought "excuuuuuuuuse me!" LOL

OK thanks guys, that has cleared things up a lot, and kaycee, don't apologise, that was a nice detailed post which helps a lot :D

Thank you Sarah-flute, that's really nice, and I'm glad it has helped.
  • La RhumbaLa Rhumba Posts: 11,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You might find some of the links here interesting, to amateur AS comps in America, dancing on youtube.

I wrote this during the previous series of DWTS shown on BBC1 during the Summer.

A Rant on the Different Style of American Ballroom Dancing!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks La Rhumba, interesting.

Out of curiosity, what did your friend think of the links you sent her(him)?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi sarah, she's more an ice dancer, who does the compulsory dances in that discipline, but she hasn't had time to discuss the Ballroom differences yet, as the skating season is in full swing, and she's been a bit busy. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ahh right OK :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know, I was disappointed too. :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When she's had a look, do pass on her thoughts - will be interested to hear!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    okey-dokey sarah. :)

(she sent me a load of icedancing youtube links last week).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have a professional dance friend who has won endless titles for American Smooth; and he finds it sooooooooo hilarious that they are dance an American Smooth quickstep on Strictly. Anton & Erin did it last season as a show - also in that Dancing in the street thing they once did in London. Matt and Alesha did it in this series a few weeks ago.... a great dance, but it wasn't A.Smooth. My pal reckons it just proves the ignorance of dance pros in UK.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kaycee wrote: »
    I have a professional dance friend who has won endless titles for American Smooth; and he finds it sooooooooo hilarious that they are dance an American Smooth quickstep on Strictly. Anton & Erin did it last season as a show - also in that Dancing in the street thing they once did in London. Matt and Alesha did it in this series a few weeks ago.... a great dance, but it wasn't A.Smooth. My pal reckons it just proves the ignorance of dance pros in UK.

Hmmm, I think that's a bit rich, considering that Smooth is only really danced competitively in America, and it's like saying that British Footballers don't know the rules of American Football.

I think amateur Smooth Ballroom is just a series of Isadora Duncan style arm twirling and open hold easy steps, with very little Ballroom technique, so to be a champion you wouldn't necessarily have to be a great dancer. :p

I'd love to see a couple on DWTS actually dance a proper Foxtrot for once and not what passes for one now, which Len always calls "really an American Smooth". ;)

What the couples do on SCD, as we know, is a hybrid dance, allowing 60% open hold and 2 lifts, to make it an entertaining dance for viewers, and I think they've succeeded. :cool:
    AS comps in America don't allow any lifts, so you can't really make a direct comparison with the dances on SCD.
    As for Anton & Erin dancing it in a show, well, for Showdance anything is allowed really, so I don't see that that can be regarded as a criticism. You must ask you friend to come and post kaycee. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anton & Erin had their dance introduced as an American Smooth - not as a showdance.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And tonight's was introduced as a Foxtrot, but it still contained lifts.

There is no official dance called the AS that's used in competition - apart from SCD. The American comps are Smooth Ballroom, and the dances are named, eg. VW, Tango, FT etc...just the Smooth versions.