Five errors I noticed in Flesh and Stone

2»

Comments

• FuddFudd Posts: 166,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Helbore wrote: »
    If the Weeping Angel (Angel Bob) never existed, then the ship would never have crashed and the whole episode would never have happened. There's a plot hole right there.

Personally, I prefer to think I don't know as much about altering time as the Doctor and just let it go. It's better than hating the episode for having existed when it shouldn't have.

Unless (as I read on another thread) that's the point. The crack is wiping out the series as each episode happens. The crack was on Amy's wall in The Eleventh Hour, was on the star whale in The Beast Below, appeared in the bunker in Victory of the Daleks, and now on the spaceship in Flesh and Stone - what if history's being rewritten just as the Doctor saves the day?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well seeing as a tree IS an organism, it should really still have been called a Cyborg? :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Did anyone notice, just before the clamps were released on what I'm assuming is a big bulky heavy metal door, that they bent a little, when the doctor placed his hands a little too heavy handedly on them?

Or does the doctor have super human strength?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1, Treeborg is an incorrect term. Org, in Cyborg stands for organism. Cyb stands for cybernetic so it should really be a Cybtree.

While the "org" stands for Organisim, "BORG" is short for Cyborg. Therefore Tree-borg is like saying "tree-cyborg" and is just as "correct" as Cyb-tree.

Plus it sounds better :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ja88ed wrote: »
    While the "org" stands for Organisim, "BORG" is short for Cyborg. Therefore Tree-borg is like saying "tree-cyborg" and is just as "correct" as Cyb-tree.

Plus it sounds better :D

Oh, i had never thought of it like that. :D

Besides i prefer Treeborg to CybTree anyway!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did anyone notice, just before the clamps were released on what I'm assuming is a big bulky heavy metal door, that they bent a little, when the doctor placed his hands a little too heavy handedly on them?

Or does the doctor have super human strength?

Yes. I saw that. It was actually quite obvious. Wobbly cardboard sets. That's what we want from Doctor Who.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I notived four mistakes in FAS which i don't think anyne has touched apon.

1, Treeborg is an incorrect term. Org, in Cyborg stands for organism. Cyb stands for cybernetic so it should really be a Cybtree.

No, that's not really how etymology works. One assumes the etymology is third generation. First one mixes the words "cybernetic" and "organism" to create the word "cyborg". From then on, the word "cyborg" exists and is used in a vacuum - no longer burdened by its roots. At a much later point, the words "cyborg" and "tree" get merged to make "treeborg". Words develop organically, and aren't necessarily the sum of their parts (many of our current words mix latin and greek and anglo-saxon). The word "treeborg" is merely the end point in an evolution of a word, and makes complete sense contextually.
  • RorschachRorschach Posts: 10,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dsrichard wrote: »
    Yes. I saw that. It was actually quite obvious. Wobbly cardboard sets. That's what we want from Doctor Who.
    My brother mentioned that a solid stone cave wall also bowed in a little when leant on....although I don't know when this was. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Histeria wrote: »
    No, that's not really how etymology works. One assumes the etymology is third generation. First one mixes the words "cybernetic" and "organism" to create the word "cyborg". From then on, the word "cyborg" exists and is used in a vacuum - no longer burdened by its roots. At a much later point, the words "cyborg" and "tree" get merged to make "treeborg". Words develop organically, and aren't necessarily the sum of their parts (many of our current words mix latin and greek and anglo-saxon). The word "treeborg" is merely the end point in an evolution of a word, and makes complete sense contextually.
    Also people have a history of changing the meaning of words as they see fit.

Originally, and technically, a "goatee" beard meant you have a beard on your chin and no where else, just like a goat has. If you added an unconnected moustache it became a "Van Dyke" and if the two joined to make a beard all the way around your mouth it became the rather unimaginatively named "Circle Beard".

However these days people use the word "goatee" all the time to describe a full circle moustache and goatee set up, and everyone knows what they are talking about. Even though it is technically wrong. :rolleyes:

A similar evolution happened over time with the phrases "Brazillian Wax" and "Holywood Wax" ;)
  • garbage456garbage456 Posts: 8,225
    Forum Member
    i dont care about mistakes just enjoy the damn program.
  • bazellisbazellis Posts: 5,405
    Forum Member
    This thread is lost in the world of semantics!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 353
    Forum Member
    Oh, i had never thought of it like that. :D

Besides i prefer Treeborg to CybTree anyway!

If it had been called a Treeorg then yes that would have been weird and sounded just purely lifey not cybery but the b makes all the difference as it sounds right!
  • jabalongjabalong Posts: 23
    Forum Member
    If you want a concrete mistake, albeit an insignificant filming one, here you go. After the Doctor loses his coat to the Angels, just before he leaves Amy in the forest, there is a close-up where suddenly he's wearing the coat again, then off again it is when you next see the Doctor, River and the head cleric guy.

;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sheff71 wrote: »
    I thought the same! :D

What next, an invasion by the Caramacs :p

NOT THE CARAMACS?!!!!:eek:
  • Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bazellis wrote: »
    This thread is lost in the world of semantics!

Which planet do they live on?
  • davrosdodebirddavrosdodebird Posts: 8,692
    Forum Member
    I notived four mistakes in FAS which i don't think anyne has touched apon.

2, The cracks in time can't be in the finale as Rver doesn't recognise them and she says she already experienced the opening of the Pandorica.

3, If he drained all the power to open the door, why didn't the gravity switch off?

4, If the weeping angels never existed then Father octavian would never have had a reason to take River Song out of jail.

5, When the gravity changes, did Father Octavian fall into the Crack too? He was outside and dead so theres nothing stopping him. If thats so, then River Song would not have been released from jail and they would imprison her more for escaping.

Anyone else notice these errors? Or am i just to picky? :D

1) bit too picky there :p

2) you're probably right (but then again, who says River Song has to see the crack in the finale? Maybe only the Doctor and Amy encounter it while RS is busy?)

3) No, because the ship had crashed on a planet - so even if the gravity switched off, there would be no need for it.

4) The weeping angels never existed, but it doesn't mean they didn't do anything (like how the people of Leadworth know there is a Duck pond, but they don't know why, as they don't remember there being any ducks.)

5) Surely the prison will have records of RS being taken out?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,248
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1) bit too picky there :p

2) you're probably right (but then again, who says River Song has to see the crack in the finale? Maybe only the Doctor and Amy encounter it while RS is busy?)

3) No, because the ship had crashed on a planet - so even if the gravity switched off, there would be no need for it.

4) The weeping angels never existed, but it doesn't mean they didn't do anything (like how the people of Leadworth know there is a Duck pond, but they don't know why, as they don't remember there being any ducks.)

5) Surely the prison will have records of RS being taken out?

is it a definate that AK is coming back for the finale or something? the opening of the pandorica might not be the finale episode. and since it seems people arent remembering key facts from the past (ie cyber king and the daleks invading) maybe RS either cant remember the crack, or maybe it hasnt reached her timeline yet it seems to me its working itself through time with amy and the doc and since they physically havent been to the time they open the pandorica its not there yet for her to remember (my head hurts explaining that lol)

i agree about the FO thing, plus there were clerics who were still outside the ship nowhere near the cracks so they would remember. i assume there would be a second in command if something had happened to FO who would take over the mission.

and cybtree/treeborg? ffs who gives a crap!!!!!!! i bet you (op) count every grain of sugar that goes in your tea or it just wouldn't taste right! :rolleyes::yawn:
  • bazellisbazellis Posts: 5,405
    Forum Member
    Which planet do they live on?

LOL:D:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Except that the ship was at 90 degress.

1. They were on the floor of the cavern.

2. Then they shot the globes and jumped and were standing on the ceiling of the cavern having rotated 180 degrees, with a hatch in the floor (previously the ceiling).

3. The turned another 90 degress to walk along the corridor (which previously had been in the floor/ceiling).

So with no gravity they would have fallen back along (down) the corridor. This is what happened at the end, the gravity failed and the Angels fell down into the crack. Which whilst it was behind them was, in fact, below them.

:D
  • jabalongjabalong Posts: 23
    Forum Member
    jabalong wrote: »
    If you want a concrete mistake, albeit an insignificant filming one, here you go. After the Doctor loses his coat to the Angels, just before he leaves Amy in the forest, there is a close-up where suddenly he's wearing the coat again, then off again it is when you next see the Doctor, River and the head cleric guy.

;)

Ah, not a mistake, it all became clear in The Big Bang.

:p
  • tingramretrotingramretro Posts: 10,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jabalong wrote: »
    Ah, not a mistake, it all became clear in The Big Bang.

:p
    I still don't understand how anyone could have believed this was a continuity error. It was so obvious.
  • Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I still don't understand how anyone could have believed this was a continuity error. It was so obvious.

Yes, I agree. Baffling, tbh. I mean the sheer number of continuity errors it would have involved by itself made it unlikely. But as i said at the time the fact that what the Doctor actually says (and how he says it) doesn't even quite tally up with the episode really should have been clincher really...;)