Masterchef new series (17/01/12) (Part 2)

Comments

• RFSRFS Posts: 7,627
    Forum Member
    queenshaks wrote: »
    No lamb, what?? Call yourself a Morisien!:p

Gateaux piment, baja bringelle, Katlets, samosa and napolitains, a girl needs those too.

Don't forget satini cotomilli with it.

Dad didn't like lamb ergo we never had it!!!

I have to get mum to teach me to make napolitains - maybe to take in to journo school as a birthday treat for all my mates.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good series! And a worthy winner.

This season's Masterchef must-haves:

A weird vacuum-packing machine (still not sure what its purpose is exactly)

'Tuiles'

Banana leaves for presentation

Lots and lots and lots and lots of MANGOES!

Predictions for next series' favourite items, anyone?

Posh boil in a bag innit'
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 204
    Forum Member
    Andagha wrote: »
    Not a finalist but apparently Jay has opened a restaurant in Suffolk. Not sure about the others :D

I believe the restaurant is in Southport, Merseyside?
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pavier wrote: »
    Shelina was the chosen one only in that John and Greg chose the best cook. From a few episodes back it was her's to lose because she has been by far the most consistent, Andrew and in particular Tom have made too many mistakes or ran out of time too often.

Well they chose her as a winner, so she was indeed a chosen one. How dare she be the best and most consistent cook. How dare they choose the best one, something is definetily fishy there :eek: I had my other favourite, but she was clearly ahead of the other two. What I value most about her is how disciplined and organised she was. They had 3 hours so it was like a marathon, but it ended up being a sprint for Tom and Andrew. When they asked Shelina how far she is, she was like, yeah, I have it, just need to plate it, slowly :D
  • mindyannmindyann Posts: 20,264
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good series! And a worthy winner.

This season's Masterchef must-haves:

A weird vacuum-packing machine (still not sure what its purpose is exactly)

'Tuiles'

Banana leaves for presentation

Lots and lots and lots and lots of MANGOES!

Predictions for next series' favourite items, anyone?

sous-vide :D

I think Great British Menu is a good way to spot what will be big next series ... apart from mangoes - they just seem to be :cool::D
  • CaminoCamino Posts: 13,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So pleased Shelina won though i have a soft spot for Andrew and I didnt really believe Tom should've been in the final he seemed to cock up most rounds somehow
  • AbrielAbriel Posts: 8,525
    Forum Member
    RFS wrote: »
    If anyone served me hay infused anything ... I'd be quite annoyed, neigh positively miffed!

I'd say Baa! Humbug!:D
  • mindyannmindyann Posts: 20,264
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Abriel wrote: »
    I'd say Baa! Humbug!:D

And they would say ... ooh, there's an idea ... we can serve it with a dehydrated stripey sweet treat next time ...
  • SochaSocha Posts: 7,995
    Forum Member
    IvanIV wrote: »
    Well they chose her as a winner, so she was indeed a chosen one. How dare she be the best and most consistent cook. How dare they choose the best one, something is definetily fishy there :eek: I had my other favourite, but she was clearly ahead of the other two. What I value most about her is how disciplined and organised she was. They had 3 hours so it was like a marathon, but it ended up being a sprint for Tom and Andrew. When they asked Shelina how far she is, she was like, yeah, I have it, just need to plate it, slowly :D

I understand why they chose her, but at the same time I was a little bit disappointed.

She has indeed been the most consistent but when you think who of these cooks could be a future Michelinstar cook, my guess is it wouldn't be Shelina but possibly Andrew or Tom and of those I'd root for Tom.

He had the most creative ideas but his execution of those dishes varied too much between a cock up and brilliance.

I think that at this point they could not have chosen anyone other than Shelina.

Apart from that both were smitten with her.... ;)
    Forum Member
    mindyann wrote: »
    And they would say ... ooh, there's an idea ... we can serve it with a dehydrated stripey sweet treat next time ...
    LOL And Gregg would love that
  • HHGTTGHHGTTG Posts: 5,941
    Forum Member
    Please, please kill these programmes off once and for all. I'd hate to eat food prepared in this manner with so much handling by these cooks, bending their sweaty heads and using fingers that have been everywhere.
    At least they should wear hats or bandanas and gloves. :mad:

God, I'm going to be popular, here. :rolleyes:
  • cakeholecakehole Posts: 1,626
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have enjoyed this series more than I have for years - last year was awful. I've just watched the final again, I've never done that before.

IMO the best since the Hannah Myles series (squid ink at Pierre Gagnaire's?).

Toad, Pasty and Shelina just been on BBC1 - where does Toad get his awful jackets?
  • JulesFJulesF Posts: 6,461
    Forum Member
    pavier wrote: »
    Shelina was the chosen one only in that John and Greg chose the best cook. From a few episodes back it was her's to lose because she has been by far the most consistent, Andrew and in particular Tom have made too many mistakes or ran out of time too often.

This isn't X Factor and Simon Cowell isn't a judge so I don't get these "chosen one" conspiracy theories.

For the next series I'd love to see Gordon Ramsay as a guest judge.
    "Call that a *@!?#% sauce?!"

Completely agree about Shelina! I've not been reading this thread for a while and am surprised at some of the comments. The OH and I have been commenting how much better Shelina was than the others for weeks now!
  • nuttytiggernuttytigger Posts: 14,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I went onto iPlayer there for a series catch-up to watch them all again, but its only got from episode 3 onwards, oh well, just have to do lol.

Okay put it on, and I only recognise jay and Andrew! They are all working to "cement" their place in competition.
  • duckymallardduckymallard Posts: 13,936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JulesF wrote: »
    Completely agree about Shelina! I've not been reading this thread for a while and am surprised at some of the comments. The OH and I have been commenting how much better Shelina was than the others for weeks now!

Look at it this way. Turode is a massive fan of spicy street food.................what was Shelina's staple dishes - spicy street food.

If you bring in scoring by the chefs that the contestants work with, then you're bound to get a fairer view.

Shelina may well be the best, she may well have done the best food, but the way things stand, you have a winner who regularly produced the favourite food of one of the 2 judges and who was not scored by any of the other professional chefs involved in the series.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 82
    Forum Member
    As I said before it's high time that ALL rounds were scored on some sort of points system, so that the decision is not just left to the two presenters.

It was clear some weeks back that Shelina was the "chosen one" this year.

It is stupidity to have all these Michelin Star chefs mentoring and working with the contestants, to then not have them involved in the decision making process.

The way it currently stands, they'd be cheaper and far more sensible to do away with 14 episodes, foreign travel and expenses and just have all the contestants cook one meal.

Whichever one Wallace and Gromit like the best is the winner.

As someone else has pointed out, the editing is probably done by people who know who the eventual winner is.That may have had an effect. I don't doubt that the chefs do have some input, but that will probably act as no more than a tie-breaker, where one is needed. Tonight, none was needed, Even if the other two had not screwed up in their.different ways, I think she would have won simply on tonight's.performance.The judges seemed to be in a total daze, when dealing or even thinking of what she cooked tonight.- you know what I mean, There was only one candidate that was going to win.
  • MishcollMishcoll Posts: 12,796
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have just watched all 3 of this weeks episodes in a row fast forwarding all the waffly bits, so glad Shelina won have been a fan of hers since about 1/4 of the way through the series.

All the best to all 3 of them though, those dishes in the final looked amazing.

Loved Shelinas hubby aswell!!:p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 82
    Forum Member
    I heard Wallace on 5Live Breakfast this morning,.He gave the impression that they identified her as a likely winner very early on. She only had to "posh up her food a bit".
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Socha wrote: »
    I understand why they chose her, but at the same time I was a little bit disappointed.

She has indeed been the most consistent but when you think who of these cooks could be a future Michelinstar cook, my guess is it wouldn't be Shelina but possibly Andrew or Tom and of those I'd root for Tom.

He had the most creative ideas but his execution of those dishes varied too much between a cock up and brilliance.

I think that at this point they could not have chosen anyone other than Shelina.

Apart from that both were smitten with her.... ;)

Does the winner get more than the prize? Because if not, they all got the same exposure to public and they can all three benefit from that. Personally I think Tom has the best chances, Gregg and John were almost always excited about his ideas, it was the execution and lack of experience that let him down. But that's something he can improve on if he wants to.
  • MR. MacavityMR. Macavity Posts: 3,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well done Selina - a thoroughly deserving winner, and a lovely lady as well. Her food looked absolutely beautiful, and for once Toad came up with a good line when he said that the best food is food that is 'evocative'. Very true.

I was thinking whether any other Masterchef winner has had such a clear career path mapped out already - opening a Mauritian-themed restaurant somewhere in London - she will need a business partner, but I'm sure she's a good enough cook. I think its really positive that someone can use Masterchef as genuine springboard to 'CHANGE THEIR LIFE' - there's been few too many 'wannabee' chefs over the last few years for me.

Also liked Andrew's menu, The starter for me didn't quite work even without the strawberries, but the main and dessert were fab.

Tom also really surprised me with quality of his food in the final - he has potential for sure.

All in all, a good final week - with the standard much better than last year. I will await with interest to see what happens with Masterchef 2013 - I am still not convinced that BBC 1 really 'wants' Masterchef - personally I'd like to see back on 2 with more episodes and regular, more frequent scheduling.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HHGTTG wrote: »
    Please, please kill these programmes off once and for all. I'd hate to eat food prepared in this manner with so much handling by these cooks, bending their sweaty heads and using fingers that have been everywhere.
    At least they should wear hats or bandanas and gloves. :mad:

God, I'm going to be popular, here. :rolleyes:

Oh no, at least I agree with you. I was irritated to see them cooking with free hair and tasting the food with spoons they probably did not wash after each tasting :eek: Gloves are negotiable for me, I would not like to cook in gloves, if they wash their hands when necessary.
    Forum Member
    cakehole wrote: »
    Toad, Pasty and Shelina just been on BBC1 - where does Toad get his awful jackets?

Don't know but on Chris evans yesterday a listener asked what had happened to his cardigans
  • andallthatjazzandallthatjazz Posts: 6,413
    Forum Member
    And so the mango and more mango queen won.:rolleyes:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16
    Forum Member
    Well done to Shelina :D As is fast getting to be tradition, we've bashed out some new innuendos to celebrate the final... Hope you like 'em! (PS I know they're for the Professionals and not last night's series but I went on holiday and am still catching up with this one, will get there!!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWnfyRr4Hso

Henry

:D
  • si29uksi29uk Posts: 1,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And so the mango and more mango queen won.:rolleyes:

She was at her best within her comfort zone - and that always seem to involve a lot of mango

A cynic might say that she studied the form on this...

John likes his spicy street food
    Greg likes mango

Keep doing that over and over and watch the praise come in.

Now clearly Shelina can cook - I just don't think she has the potential that Tom does.

And for me, the show should be about potential for future brilliance